I guess Marshall finally got pissed at Blackstar...

MatchFive

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by rockappalla View Post
Hey, that's me in the video! I miss the DSL, but now that I'm recording an hard rock record and possibly back to play live I'm looking around for a DSL half stack...
BTW, that video was boosted with a Bad Monkey
Is that you really you bro? Now that video sounds better than the 'newer' DSL imo

That clip sounds really nice, just a nice marshall growl, dare i say mean! thumb.gif

I see guys spending 3X more on amps and trying to get a simular type tone, and you did that with a Bad Monkey and a DSL. BTW the Bad Monkey is a cool lil pedal, it adds just enough boost and saturation to your amp, great lil pedal together with the DSL its a winner!

Totally_jammin_out.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Neilrocks25

View Post

you mean the old ones or new ones? DSL's are fantastic amps

I can never understand the hate that they get. I think its kinda fashionable to hate them in a snob kinda way. I have heard some awesome sounds from them. And I am not an owner btw.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Hotcakes View Post
You cannot go wrong with a bad monkey and a marshall.

I owned a DSL briefly, but I had no problem getting it to sound identical to an 800.
Bad Monkey good. I only moved mine from my board for an even cheaper pedal being a Cool Cat Transparent Drive V1

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by lealand987 View Post
/have played the whole new dsl line
The lower wattage units are very fizzy and boxy sounding
The 100 watter is close to the original but lacks the same punch and again is a little fizzy to my ears

All in all, way better than the MA amps they're replacing
did you crank them?

I am still going to check it for myself

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Neilrocks25 View Post
I live the way people judge an amp on a you tube demo, I will wait untill I try one myself.
I would go for the head though, but I am cheap so I would go for an old second hand one I already know the old
DSL's sound great.
Neil, are you talking about the DSL50 and DSL100? Those are great amps, but are in a different league than the DSL401 that I tried. Maybe it was the EL84's but there was something missing in the older 40.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Razsan View Post
Neil, are you talking about the DSL50 and DSL100? Those are great amps, but are in a different league than the DSL401 that I tried. Maybe it was the EL84's but there was something missing in the older 40.
DSL100. I know the old DSL401 was not so hot, but these newer ones look a lot better a slightly different beast. I will wait until I try one myself before I pass judgement.
It might suck but I would like to see for myself. not go by one demo

You know how it is on here icon_lol.gif

• Members

Good to see the Bad Monkey get some respect as well, such a cool lil pedal

Matched with a Marshall DSL its a winner and that clip i commented on earlier is just total kickass, im listeneing again - just a nice nasty chewy tone to it, i may cut down the gain down a *pinch* (my own taste) in that vid, but still total winsauce

love.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Neilrocks25 View Post
DSL100. I know the old DSL401 was not so hot, but these newer ones look a lot better a slightly different beast. I will wait until I try one myself before I pass judgement.
It might suck but I would like to see for myself. not go by one demo

You know how it is on here icon_lol.gif
The DSL40C does sound better than the DSL401...hopefully my local GC/Samash will get one in. That being said the Blackstar HT40 is a beast of an amp. Used you can pick one up in the 400+ range.

• Members

Watching the OP's 1st video, is not selling me on that amp. I had a 50 DSL head, sold it. I now own a JVM410C, IMO..way better. I also have a Blackstar 60 Soloist (1 x 12 combo)....way better!

Either that video sucks or MArshall needs to put in a little more effort. Nice concept, I always wanted a DSL EL34 combo. This is not what I had in mind.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by AXEL276 View Post
Watching the OP's 1st video, is not selling me on that amp. I had a 50 DSL head, sold it. I now own a JVM410C, IMO..way better. I also have a Blackstar 60 Soloist (1 x 12 combo)....way better!

Either that video sucks or MArshall needs to put in a little more effort. Nice concept, I always wanted a DSL EL34 combo. This is not what I had in mind.
How do the JVM and Blackstar compare??

I am very happy with my HT-60 but do wonder sometimes about a JVM.. and if I'd be happier. The two main things I like are modern hi gain/heavy rock tones.. and versatility..

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by IbanezJon View Post
How do the JVM and Blackstar compare??

I am very happy with my HT-60 but do wonder sometimes about a JVM.. and if I'd be happier. The two main things I like are modern hi gain/heavy rock tones.. and versatility..
Well, here's a sample of me running my JVM through a 1960B cab and a Carvin Legacy cab. I boost the JVM with a Maxon OD808 (gain all the way off, Level cranked) to tighten the low end up a bit.

http://soundcloud.com/adrian-hinkley...d808-both-cabs

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by rockappalla View Post
here you find the thread I made in 2008 about the build:
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luth...r-build-d.html
That one has lnobs, the one in the Vid has no knobs. idn_smilie.gif

Amazinmg work by the way on the build thumb.gif

But you got some serious Fan Mail to answer on the youtube comments to that Vid.

7 pages of dudes whinning why you won't answer thier questions icon_lol.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by AdrianPOA View Post
Well, here's a sample of me running my JVM through a 1960B cab and a Carvin Legacy cab. I boost the JVM with a Maxon OD808 (gain all the way off, Level cranked) to tighten the low end up a bit.

http://soundcloud.com/adrian-hinkley...d808-both-cabs
Sounded great. Having a V30 cab on one side, and something else on the other (75s in this case) didn't seem to hurt either.

Archived