Demartini Marshalls.

charveldan

• Members

Zappa said Warren was the only hair dude he could tolerate, that comment went a long way with a lot of people back in the day, but as much as i loved RAtt when i was a kid, i listen back now and he wasnt anything special. His tone was pretty good, but as far as his playing, its really just average.

• Members

Zappa said Warren was the only hair dude he could tolerate, that comment went a long way with a lot of people back in the day, but as much as i loved RAtt when i was a kid, i listen back now and he wasnt anything special. His tone was pretty good, but as far as his playing, its really just average.

I agree with the Zappa. But then again, you probably have to have a special love for the bluesy part of his style to really dig it.

DiMartini sounds like a blues player who just evolved into the 80's.

• Members

i listen back now and he wasnt anything special. His tone was pretty good, but as far as his playing, its really just average.

Hey, we're all entitled to our own opinions BUT...

My band opened for Ratt a few times (clubs in LA and SF) and his playing and tone were anything but average.

I am no Ratt fan or anything...just a huge 80's guy...his playing was clean, melodic and oozed tone!

Just sayin'

• Members
Hey, we're all entitled to our own opinions BUT...

My band opened for Ratt a few times (clubs in LA and SF) and his playing and tone were anything but average.

I am no Ratt fan or anything...just a huge 80's guy...his playing was clean, melodic and oozed tone!

Just sayin'

Yeah he plays a lot better than me.

• Members

but as much as i loved RAtt when i was a kid, i listen back now and he wasnt anything special. His tone was pretty good, but as far as his playing, its really just average.

maybe so, but not bad for a guy who cut the Ratt EP after playing guitar for only a couple of years wouldnt you say????

• Members

I'd have to disagree pretty strongly with the "average" part. Was he a shred-god like the Yngwies, MacAlpines and Moores of his era? No. But he did contribute some fantastic, slinky, groovin', at times Schenker-esque melodic shred solos. The solo to Lay It Down, for instance, is a tasty, memorable hard rock masterpiece, IMO. Dude's playing was always smooth as glass, too, and I'd also agree with some of the others who think he had some of the best tone of the 80s.

YMMV, I suppose. :idk:

• Members

Unfortunately Zappa is no longer around to pick the planets next best tone. Depending on who he was talking to when he made that statement you could probably plug any 80's guitarists in there. Funny thing is Vai was his guitarist and yet per Zappa his tone must suck. That being the case I don't put a lot of faith in this report. Fortunatly I don't need Zappa or anyone else to enlighten me on who has great tone. I was never impressed by Dimartini or Lynch, and certainly never impressed by Zappa's tone. I would go as far to say that Zappa's tone sucked to everyone but Zappa.

• Members

Unfortunately Zappa is no longer around to pick the planets next best tone. Depending on who he was talking to when he made that statement you could probably plug any 80's guitarists in there. Funny thing is Vai was his guitarist and yet per Zappa his tone must suck. That being the case I don't put a lot of faith in this report. Fortunatly I don't need Zappa or anyone else to enlighten me on who has great tone. I was never impressed by Dimartini or Lynch, and certainly never impressed by Zappa's tone. I would go as far to say that Zappa's tone sucked to everyone but Zappa.

...says the guy with the Dimebag avatar! :lol::facepalm:

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Since I own a 1976 modded Marshall Super Lead that was supposedly once owned by him, he apparently uses 5660's in his heads, at least his backup heads. I never have had confirmation this head is his, but it defnitely sounds like it was his, and it has 5660's.  Then again I have talked to another Ebay seller who had another used head of his and it has EL34's so maybe he alternated those between his heads.

Archived