Traynor YCS-50. I really like this thing.

GCDEF

• Members

I know that but I am saying the maxed out clean is way different from the a low setting on the dirty. I can sit next to the amp with my ear on the clean but when the dirty channel is on is is loud as {censored}. I am gonna go try a different one out if pssible so I can just see if it is my amp.

Mine are both about the same. I keep the gain on the clean channel pretty high. Don't know if that makes a difference.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know that but I am saying the maxed out clean is way different from the a low setting on the dirty. I can sit next to the amp with my ear on the clean but when the dirty channel is on is is loud as {censored}. I am gonna go try a different one out if pssible so I can just see if it is my amp.

SWITCH YOUR PREAMP TUBES. I bet you have a low output tube in v1.

• Members

Yeah I switched the old ones around and I also bought new tubes form JJ. I figure that there would be some difference between channels but this is just too much for me to think it is normal.

I'm talking about preamp tubes right? ... not power tubes.

• Members

Yeah I switched all of them. Funny sotry though I went to guitar center today looking at amps. The a salesman asked what can I help you find.

me: it is an EL34 based amp.

Salesman: who makes that model?

Me: It is a tube type

Salesman: Huh never heard of it but I do have this fender twin reverb that is nice

Me: No Im looking for something a little less clean.

• Members

Yeah I switched all of them. Funny sotry though I went to guitar center today looking at amps. The a salesman asked what can I help you find.

me: it is an EL34 based amp.

Salesman: who makes that model?

Me: It is a tube type

Salesman: Huh never heard of it but I do have this fender twin reverb that is nice

Me: No Im looking for something a little less clean.

i c well i would call Traynor to see what they say about your channels.

• Members

I talked to Eurotubes today and they said to change the fixed bias resistor. Which I might just do. Have you done this rrockwood?

Sorry for the slow response, but I don't get on here on the weekend. Anyway, Bob from Eurotubes obviously hasn't had a look at the custom special amps yet, only the older custom valve line. The custom special amps don't have a fixed bias resistor per se, but they do have a fixed resistor in series with the bias pot (the resistor i mentioned in my last post). The mod i suggested comes directly from the designer of the amplifier at Yorkville, and it should do as far as the bias in your amp goes. As for the volume difference between the channels, can't really say whether there's anything to it without hearing your amp, but your description sounds like there might be a problem. You do have the clean channel's volume maxed, right? How high do you have the clean gain?

• Members

I am going to play it some more to night and take a few notes on exactly what it does and possible do a few recording clips to see if that will help me trace down the problem at all.

You might have read my comments posted earlier in this thread. I had a YCS 50 that wasn't sounding right to me. I adjusted the bias and changed tubes and it still wasn't right. Traynor sent me a new one and it sounds completely different and completely better.

Maybe you got a bad one too? Traynor has a really good warranty and if I were you I would send it back and get a new one. These amps sound great and you shouldn't have to struggle to get a good sound. I was constantly dialing knobs on my my first YCS50 and I couldn't get a good consistent sound. On the new one, its a breeze to dial it in. It sounds pretty good no matter how I have it set.

• Members
Seems fine to me. Yorkville/Traynor has a reputation for quality at a good price.

In my experience, the Fender and the Traynor are way better than the Riveras. I've never heard a Rivera sound good.

Riveras and soldanos are what I see most in the studios. You haven't listened to a Rivera that is dialed in then.:)

• Members

Hey guys, don't mean to hijack this thread, but it's gotten me really interested in the YCS-50. I'm looking to buy my first tube amp and have a budget of about $800. I play everything from BB King to Peter Green to Robin Trower to Chevelle and Evanescence so versatility would be great. I've played the Traynor YCV-40 and the cleans were amazing but the overdrive lacked the punch I need. My ideal amp would have the cleans of a Fender Twin, the crunch of a JTM45 and the lead/gain channel of a Mesa Mark IV. If the YCS can get close to these tones for $650 then I'll be in heaven. So, I'm looking for some confirmation on this amp's tone seeing as local availability here is preventing me from trying one out.

• Members

Hey guys, don't mean to hijack this thread, but it's gotten me really interested in the YCS-50. I'm looking to buy my first tube amp and have a budget of about $800. I play everything from BB King to Peter Green to Robin Trower to Chevelle and Evanescence so versatility would be great. I've played the Traynor YCV-40 and the cleans were amazing but the overdrive lacked the punch I need. My ideal amp would have the cleans of a Fender Twin, the crunch of a JTM45 and the lead/gain channel of a Mesa Mark IV. If the YCS can get close to these tones for $650 then I'll be in heaven. So, I'm looking for some confirmation on this amp's tone seeing as local availability here is preventing me from trying one out.

I don't know what else you want to know that hasn't been covered. I had a 40 too. This is a completely different amp. I've never owned a Mark IV, but I think the modern voice on the lead channel is supposed to get in Mesa territory. The Vintage setting gives the classic 80s Marshall roar, and the modern setting makes it edgier. The clean channel does Fender/old Marshall well. I would think it does what you want.

• Members

Thanks GCDEF,

Yeah, I think for my price range the YCS really is an ideal amp for me; I just second guess myself a lot. I think I'm gonna go ahead and order one from proaudiostar after I sell my dreaded MG Half Stack lol and maybe even get a new set of tubes from Eurotuubes to go along with it. :D It's gonna be fun.

• Members
Thanks GCDEF,

Yeah, I think for my price range the YCS really is an ideal amp for me; I just second guess myself a lot. I think I'm gonna go ahead and order one from proaudiostar after I sell my dreaded MG Half Stack lol and maybe even get a new set of tubes from Eurotuubes to go along with it.
:D
It's gonna be fun.

If you're looking for a "twin" vibe and your budget is about $800, you might want to check out the Custom Special 90 as well. It's the exact same preamp circuit as the 50, but it's 90W/25W instead of 50/15, and it's loaded with two Celestion Century Vintage neodymium 12s. Interestingly, it actually weighs a pound or two less than the 50W combo.

Cheers

• Members

If you're looking for a "twin" vibe and your budget is about $800, you might want to check out the Custom Special 90 as well. It's the exact same preamp circuit as the 50, but it's 90W/25W instead of 50/15, and it's loaded with two Celestion Century Vintage neodymium 12s. Interestingly, it actually weighs a pound or two less than the 50W combo.

Cheers

I tried one of those not long ago and I was impressed. I am usually unimpressed with how amps sound in the store but that one was very nice. Actually reminded me of when I was trying out my ycs50 for the first time. The thing that sold me was the deep bass response on the clean channel as well as the brit setting with the gain turned up and the overall versatility of these amps. I had tried a few other amps and compared to the ycs50 they seemed like toys and not something you would want to gig with. These amps light up peoples faces when they hear the tone that comes out and fills a nice sized hall.

• Members

Check out the Fender Super-Sonic. It has the clean of either a vibrolux or bassman and the dirty channel has the highest gain tube preamp that Fender makes. I really like mine.

Max

• Members

Check out the Fender Super-Sonic. It has the clean of either a vibrolux or bassman and the dirty channel has the highest gain tube preamp that Fender makes. I really like mine.

Max

That's a great amp. I played one for almost a year. The bassman side of the clean channel has a very slight edge on the Traynor if you really crank it. That's one of the best amp tones I've ever heard. However, the Traynor spanks it pretty much everywhere else, especially in versatility.

• Members

UPS are so bloody incompetent. I'm betting the amp will arrive pretty beaten up. All they have to do is fly it to Hawaii. The amp left NY, then KY, arriving in CA, then flew back east to NC (where the government held it for a day), came back to CA, and now it's in Alaska. :facepalm:

• Members
UPS are so bloody incompetent. I'm betting the amp will arrive pretty beaten up. All they have to do is fly it to Hawaii. The amp left NY, then KY, arriving in CA, then flew back east to NC (where the government held it for a day), came back to CA, and now it's in Alaska.
:facepalm:

That's pretty amazing... what's wrong with FedEx? Good thing these amps are pretty tough.

Archived