Traynor YCS-50. I really like this thing.

GCDEF

• Members

Hey rrockwood, could you maybe post a pic of which point you're talking about? I'm not quite sure where this third point is on my amp. You are talking about the YCS-50 combo, right?

It's by the transformer closest to the tubes...I think. Once you know where it is, it's pretty easy to find. One person reported asking Traynor about that point, and Traynor said only use the two points by the tube. I have no idea what the real story is.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Are you talking about the OT or PT, the tranny closest to the preamp tubes or closest to the power tubes? I can see the two test points and the trimpot hole and there are two other larger holes by the power tubes next to the test points that are just showing the circuit board underneath them nothing else?

• Members

Are you talking about the OT or PT, the tranny closest to the preamp tubes or closest to the power tubes? I can see the two test points and the trimpot hole and there are two other larger holes by the power tubes next to the test points that are just showing the circuit board underneath them nothing else?

No, not those big holes. The hole is by the tranny closest to the power tubes. Right next to it. This is why I take out the chassis...in the end...much more convenient to move around.

• Members
Here's a pic. Is that little hole in the center with a wire in it the ground point? I though that was a test point.

ycs00001.jpg

Here's a clearer pic you can see the hole I'm talking about though on the left side of the tranny

ycs00003.jpg

That's the hole that I am talking about...but I am still unclear as to it's purpose. Traynor seemed to say don't use it, but maybe it is a ground point.:confused:

• Members

Tried it with that point as ground and got no consistent readings, but it's so hard to work with there's no space or light. How did you go about taking the chassis out of the cabinet exactly Guitarded? I feel it might be coming to that if I ever want to get this thing biased right.

• Members

Tried it with that point as ground and got no consistent readings, but it's so hard to work with there's no space or light. How did you go about taking the chassis out of the cabinet exactly Guitarded? I feel it might be coming to that if I ever want to get this thing biased right.

Just unscrew the big screws and slide it out...simple as that. With the head, there are screws under the head box and on the sides...8 screws total. I just use a power drill, slide the chassis out, no prob.

• Members

Thanks. I figured as much. I have the combo though can anyone give me a heads up as to what's different when taking out the chassis on that?

I can't imagine too much being different. I guess that 4 of the big screws may be on top, but either way, it should be pretty straight forward.

• Members
That's the hole that I am talking about...but I am still unclear as to it's purpose. Traynor seemed to say don't use it, but maybe it is a ground point.
:confused:

That was the hole I meant, and yes, it IS a ground point. I don't know who told you not to use it as a Traynor representative, but I can assure you it is there for the sole purpose of biasing. I work in the design lab at Yorkville Sound, and my boss is the designer of the Custom Special amplifiers, so I'm not just making this stuff up.

• Members

I have the YCV50 Blue - what's the consensus on how this amp compared to the YCS50? I know there's more options on the YCS. How similar are the drive channels? I'm really not thrilled with my drive channel. The clean is good, and I like the pedals I use with it.

I only play at home though, so maybe both amps are more than what I need. And I want to record. Music is mostly blues, rock, classic rock/hard rock, some stoner I guess.

I've been thinking about something smaller, like the Fender Princeton Deluxe Reverb reissue, or the Allen Sweet Spot, which is an improved clone. Both more expensive though, than the Traynor. Any thoughts on whether the YCS is a real upgrade of an amp over the YCV50? Or should I go with something smaller, like the Princeton that might be better for my needs? TIA

• Members

I work in the design lab at Yorkville Sound, and my boss is the designer of the Custom Special amplifiers, so I'm not just making this stuff up.

I didn't say you were. Someone related to me that they were told this by a Traynor representative. I would suggest decaffeinated.

• Members

That was the hole I meant, and yes, it IS a ground point. I don't know who told you not to use it as a Traynor representative, but I can assure you it is there for the sole purpose of biasing. I work in the design lab at Yorkville Sound, and my boss is the designer of the Custom Special amplifiers, so I'm not just making this stuff up.

Tell your boss he did an excellent job! The YCS 50 is a great amp.

I wrote to Traynor/Yorkville and asked about the 3rd test point by the transformer and was told....

"The only test points you should be using are the two bias points you have

already identified." (referring to the ones by the power tubes)

When guitarded1 was asking biasing questions over on another board I repeated what I was told over there. Thanks for the additional information.

• Members
Tell your boss he did an excellent job! The YCS 50 is a great amp.

I second that. Very impressed with my amp and will continue to buy Traynor if they keep making them like this.. but I don't think I will need another one for a while so... keep em coming anyway and if you can top this then I may budge.

Btw, I think I've sold about three or four of these just by talking about them to various people. Could I get put on salary or get some Traynor bucks?? :poke:

• Members

Did you make sure that the amp was not in standby? If it is, then the voltage continually rising would be expected, because the standby works by floating (disconnecting) the cathodes of the tubes.

Yes the amp was def. not in standby (red light was on). All gain and volume controls were down and the amp was in 50W mode. The only time I've gotten any consistent sensical readings from the amp is when I grounded to the metal 3PDT switch of my fuzz. Otherwise the voltage reading will just start out from a seemingly random point and increase indefinitely. The trimpot does nothing that I can see. I'll probably try to slide the amp chassis out of the combo cab on Monday so I can actually get around it comfortably.

EDIT: Although...I think that most of my previous readings before using the amp's ground point had me accidently using the ground point as a bias test point (i.e. touching the red probe to it). That could have affected my readings, I assume? I'll have to try again with the amp out of the chassis.

• Members

Yes the amp was def. not in standby (red light was on). All gain and volume controls were down and the amp was in 50W mode. The only time I've gotten any consistent sensical readings from the amp is when I grounded to the metal 3PDT switch of my fuzz. Otherwise the voltage reading will just start out from a seemingly random point and increase indefinitely. The trimpot does nothing that I can see. I'll probably try to slide the amp chassis out of the combo cab on Monday so I can actually get around it comfortably.

EDIT: Although...I think that most of my previous readings before using the amp's ground point had me accidently using the ground point as a bias test point (i.e. touching the red probe to it). That could have affected my readings, I assume? I'll have to try again with the amp out of the chassis.

it IS a bit difficult to touch the points.... just putting the probes in there doesn't usually connect with them properly.. you need to adjust the probes a little to hit the points... i find using the speaker connector easy because I know i'm making good contact with that leaving just the red probe to fiddle with.

• Members

I'll most likely be selling my YCS 50 soon and I'm sure I'll miss it. I've been in a buy-use-sell mode with amps for the past year and now its time to move on. I wish I could keep this one but if I want to continue to buy stuff I have to sell stuff.

After a few months of gigging, here's my take on the amp:

Pros:

Its very versatile and all the tones are pretty darned good. It doesn't require a bunch of pedals to give you tone options. I could cover any gig I would ever do with just this amp and a guitar.

Most of the features are usable in real world gig settings, which isn't the case with many amps these days. The loop works well for me and I love having the effects level controls on the front panel.

The reduced power (15 watt) option sounds good. Some amps sound like completely different amps when you reduce the power. This one doesn't.

The build quality and customer support seem to be top notch.

Quite simply, the biggest pro is the ability to have gig worthy Fender and Marshall sounds in one box that won't break your bank.

CONS:

I'm not crazy about the reverb but I usually prefer the sound of external verb thru a loop. Its a pretty good reverb for the cost of the amp but its nothing special to my ears. Its probably fine for most people but if you are a reverb snob you might not like it.

The combo version amp of the amp might be a little bright for some people. It can also be a bit brassy on the hi gain channel if you aren't careful with the eq. However, I'm sure that is somewhat due to the V30 speaker. Personally, I prefer a bright amp so these things don't really bother me.

The amp is a bit on the bulky side for a 1-12 combo. I would prefer a smaller footprint and a little lighter weight but I'm an old guy with a bad back. Its almost the size of most 2-12 combos. However, I'm sure this larger cab helps to create the big sound of the amp. Its not really heavy, I think right at 50 lbs, but the bulkiness makes it seem heavier than it actually is.

I found no good use for the enhancer switch or the master eq section. I always bypassed the master eq. As for the enhancer, I don't really know where they were going with that one.

That's it for the cons. Not a whole lot to hate about this amp.

FWIW, two other amps I've owned and gigged in the past year were the Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special and 5:25 express. I would choose this amp for a gig over those two every time. It just suits my classic rock and blues style of playing better.

As for me, my next amp will probably have a power scaling option. I'm dying to give that a try.

That's it. Carry on all you Traynor fans.

• Members
I'll most likely be selling my YCS 50 soon and I'm sure I'll miss it. I've been in a buy-use-sell mode with amps for the past year and now its time to move on. I wish I could keep this one but if I want to continue to buy stuff I have to sell stuff.

After a few months of gigging, here's my take on the amp:

Pros:

Its very versatile and
all
the tones are pretty darned good. It doesn't require a bunch of pedals to give you tone options. I could cover any gig I would ever do with just this amp and a guitar.

Most of the features are usable in real world gig settings, which isn't the case with many amps these days. The loop works well for me and I love having the effects level controls on the front panel.

The reduced power (15 watt) option sounds good. Some amps sound like completely different amps when you reduce the power. This one doesn't.

The build quality and customer support seem to be top notch.

Quite simply, the biggest pro is the ability to have gig worthy Fender and Marshall sounds in one box that won't break your bank.

CONS:

I'm not crazy about the reverb but I usually prefer the sound of external verb thru a loop. Its a pretty good reverb for the cost of the amp but its nothing special to my ears. Its probably fine for most people but if you are a reverb snob you might not like it.

The combo version amp of the amp might be a little bright for some people. It can also be a bit brassy on the hi gain channel if you aren't careful with the eq. However, I'm sure that is somewhat due to the V30 speaker. Personally, I prefer a bright amp so these things don't really bother me.

The amp is a bit on the bulky side for a 1-12 combo. I would prefer a smaller footprint and a little lighter weight but I'm an old guy with a bad back. Its almost the size of most 2-12 combos. However, I'm sure this larger cab helps to create the big sound of the amp. Its not really heavy, I think right at 50 lbs, but the bulkiness makes it seem heavier than it actually is.

I found no good use for the enhancer switch or the master eq section. I always bypassed the master eq. As for the enhancer, I don't really know where they were going with that one.

That's it for the cons. Not a whole lot to hate about this amp.

FWIW, two other amps I've owned and gigged in the past year were the Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special and 5:25 express. I would choose this amp for a gig over those two every time. It just suits my classic rock and blues style of playing better.

As for me, my next amp will probably have a power scaling option. I'm dying to give that a try.

That's it. Carry on all you Traynor fans.

:cry: ... so this is it then? :cry:

:lol:

• Members
I know.
:cry:
I miss you guys already.

Hey just curious if you did any tube swapping in the preamp? I didn't like the reverb too much either with the stock tubes but for some reason changing the preamp tubes made it much smoother and warmer sounding... maybe that's just the general difference in the amps tone but if you did do some swapping... which did you try and what did you like the best?

The way mine is sounding now I can turn the reverb up 3/4 and it sounds great clean and dirty IMO.

• Members

Hey just curious if you did any tube swapping in the preamp? I didn't like the reverb too much either with the stock tubes but for some reason changing the preamp tubes made it much smoother and warmer sounding... maybe that's just the general difference in the amps tone but if you did do some swapping... which did you try and what did you like the best?

The way mine is sounding now I can turn the reverb up 3/4 and it sounds great clean and dirty IMO.

I did a little swapping around of tubes and I settled on a JJ in v1 and a Tung sol in v2. It does sound a little better than the stock tubes. What works best for you?

The reverb isn't bad at all, its just not my favorite thing about the amp. I don't think its quite up to the level of the overall sound of the amp. I think the amp sounds best with a reverb in the loop, but that's just me.

I'm not in a hurry to sell and maybe I won't. If I find a great deal on an amp with power scaling I'll probably part with the Traynor to help pay for it, but I'll happiliy continue to gig with it until that time comes.

I still love the amp, those are just my opinions after some real world use.

• Members

...I'm not in a hurry to sell and maybe I won't. If I find a great deal on an amp with power scaling I'll probably part with the Traynor to help pay for it, but I'll happiliy continue to gig with it until that time comes.

I still love the amp, those are just my opinions after some real world use.

How about installing power scaling in your YCS-50?

http://www.londonpower.com/kits/dcpsk1.htm

Ed

Archived