Traynor YCS-50. I really like this thing.

GCDEF

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I've bought two Traynors and some Yorkville subs from him. Great dealer. He has a website now so you don't need ebay.

www.ProAudioStar.com

no!!! people, still use ebay.
the guy sells the ycs50 for 699. you can get it for 650 shipped off ebay if you send him an offer.

and do you think a ts9 will send this thing into metal tones?

• Members

no!!! people, still use ebay.

the guy sells the ycs50 for 699. you can get it for 650 shipped off ebay if you send him an offer.

and do you think a ts9 will send this thing into metal tones?

Or just call him up and make him an offer. :idea: It's the same person, and if he doesn't have to deal with ebay fees, he just may pass the savings on to you. :thu:

A TS-9 won't send anything into metal tones. Press the modern and scoop buttons and turn the gain up and it does it on its own.

• Members
I was so bummed yesterday. I went to St. Louis and stopped by Fazio's Frets, a Traynor dealer. They had none in stock for me to try.

:mad:

I'll be buying an amp sometime this summer and I really want to try one of these.

Try Mojo's Music in Edwardsville IL. They are a Traynor dealer also. I drove from St. Peters, MO to try one and walked out with the one I tried. I payed a little more than the internet price but I was assured that the one I bought worked to perfection. They knocked a decent amount off their price when I told them how far I drove and what I could get this amp for on-line.

Good Luck.

http://www.mojosmusic.com/

• Members

I jut got mine in and adusted the bias to around 73. However it now seems

quieter than it did on the clean channel. ON the 50 watt setting with the master at half and the volume on half it is not even loud enough to make move from right in front of it. I am playing also playing a strat. The volume difference between channel 1 and 2 is huge. Anyone else have this problem

• Members

quieter than it did on the clean channel. ON the 50 watt setting with the master at half and the volume on half it is not even loud enough to make move from right in front of it. I am playing also playing a strat. The volume difference between channel 1 and 2 is huge. Anyone else have this problem

I would say you have a low output tube in the v1 position... try switching the preamp tubes around. I did with mine and it made a big difference. They come stock with sovtek 12ax7WA (the lowest gain 12ax7's) and Sovtek 5881WXT power tubes.

• Members

No, but I run the clean volume almost all the way up and the distortion slightly less, then adjust the overall mix with the master. What do you have the clean channel gain set at?

• Members

The gain is at half. It seems to have happened after the bias adjustment. I am going to order new tubes any suggestions? I will give that a shot. Just out of curiosity what is the test point by the inner power tube. I know the middle is the gnd and the the outer is the positive for checking bias

• Members

The gain is at half. It seems to have happened after the bias adjustment. I am going to order new tubes any suggestions? I will give that a shot. Just out of curiosity what is the test point by the inner power tube. I know the middle is the gnd and the the outer is the positive for checking bias

the bias adjustment is only needed after putting new power tubes in or just after they've been used a bit. I check the bias by putting the black probe on the Negative connector of the speaker and putting the red probe on a test point (ie. the small hole next to the power tubes, one for each each side). Make sure the amp is in 50 watt mode and the volumes and gains are at 0 or your adjustment will be off.

• Members

Almost forgot. About the tubes I would try a Tung Sol or Mullard in the v1 spot, Chinese 9th gen. in the v2 spot, JJ ecc83s in the V3 spot. SED Winged C 6l6's in the power section. ........ I don't have that exactly but that's what I want to try. Right now I've got Tung Sol in v1, JJ ecc83s in v2,v3 and Tung Sol 5881's in the power section. Sounds great with these.

• Members

Do this... http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/features/drdecibel/index.asp

select "break-in speakers"...

Also, I came to realize with my own guitar that I had my pickups too high. You should play with the height of your pickups because it makes a big difference through the amp. If it's too bright sounding try lowing them a bit. should clear up any mud you might have too.

• Members
SO I put in some JJ E34L tubes in my YCS50. The bias dropped to 25 so I rebiased it but the highest it will go is 65. Is there a way to squeeze out some more or is this ok?

If I were you I would contact Traynor and let them know your problem. I believe if your amp was made before April then you may need to replace a capacitor in order to bias el34 tubes properly. See what they suggest and let me know becuase I may have the same run of amp but I haven't tried el34's yet. Figure I have 2 years. :)

• Members

SO I put in some JJ E34L tubes in my YCS50. The bias dropped to 25 so I rebiased it but the highest it will go is 65. Is there a way to squeeze out some more or is this ok?

The negative bias supply in the YCS50 typically has enough range to bias EL34s properly (the same supply is used for the Custom Special 50 head which ships with EH EL34s), so it might be the case that you have a "cooler" than average pair of tubes. At any rate, to get enough range out of your unit, a modification will need to be performed on your amp (make sure you refer this work to a qualified technician; the YCS50 has potentially lethal voltages present inside). Inside the amplifier, the PCB with the power tubes (labelled M1292) has a 33kOhm resistor labelled R49 very near to the bias potentiometer. If a 100kOhm resistor is tacked across R49, then the range of the pot should be changed enough to accomodate your new tubes. You should know that this mod will alter the other end of the range of the pot as well, so it may need to be "un-modded" in order to switch the tubes back (although this is unlikely).

Cheers

• Members

I bought mine without playing it first......best decision I ever made. Just buy it...you don't need to play it! IT's that good!

I did the same thing and couldnt be happier. This was a great buy, sounds great stock and i cant wait to upgrade.

• Members

Can anyone describe what there amp is like going form the clean to dirt channel on there amp volume wise. Is there a pretty big drop in volume between the two? I am going to record the difference and see if it is just me. Thanks guys

• Members

Can anyone describe what there amp is like going form the clean to dirt channel on there amp volume wise. Is there a pretty big drop in volume between the two? I am going to record the difference and see if it is just me. Thanks guys

Both channels have volume and gain controls. You can make the difference as big or as little as you want.

• Members

I know that but I am saying the maxed out clean is way different from the a low setting on the dirty. I can sit next to the amp with my ear on the clean but when the dirty channel is on is is loud as {censored}. I am gonna go try a different one out if pssible so I can just see if it is my amp.

Archived