I think I scored a '65 Vibrolux from a dumpster

Greg_In_Michigan

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For speakers, I'd look for a pair of '60s ceramic Jensens with the brown and gold label on the magnet. I think C10N is the model? These came in BF VRs originally and sound really good in there.

I agree. Keep it as close to original as possible.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPEAKER-WIRE-HARNESS-FENDER-VIBROLUX-REVERB-AMP-/300481169173?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f612c715

Original parts are out there. This wiring harness is a case in point. While you could go to Rat Shack for parts and make one up that's just as good or maybe even better, little details make the difference between a $750 amp and a $1500 amp.

Also, many have recommended a 3 prong cord as have I. Good idea, but keep the original. If you put new pre tubes in, keep the originals.

• Members

Another good reason to take it to a good tech: you can then say it was restored by (insert name here).

Resale value goes up. You mentioned Elderly as a possible candidate. By all means it will be worth more than you put into it. If you do it yourself, knock off about 400 bucks. Not worth it IMO. And I've done some work on amps and am learning my way around them. For comparitive purposes, I consider myself a good Ford mechanic. But this is a Ferarri. Take it to a Ferrari mech. I hope that clears up what I'm getting at.

As far as speakers, what you decide on depends on what you want to hear. You can shop Evilbay for a pair just like it had IF you want it original . They'll set you back a bunch, but the value ramps up, once again, more than what you pay for them.

Nah...old Fenders are easy to work on...kinda like an old Mustang or a Model T.

• Members

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jensen-C10Q-35W-10-Replacement-Speaker-8-ohm-/200654274956?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb7ed418c

I believe this is the correct Jensen speaker. If I had the original speakers I would get them reconed, but I am thinking about just buying reproduction speakers. I really wanted the Weber 10F150T, but would it be better to go for a Jensen speaker? Would an original speaker, re-coned, add more tone? Would it add $$$ value and mojo?

I want the amp to be full of tone and mojo, not so much $$$ value.

• Members

Nah...old Fenders are easy to work on...kinda like an old Mustang or a Model T.

Yes they are BUT, taking it to a reputable tech for service and making sure to keep an itemized reciept jacks the resale value. I've negotiated for amps redone by the owner in the past. "Yeah it sounds OK, but what credentials do you have? How can I be sure it won't stop working?" Cuts a bunch off the price. When you hear, "I took it to the best tech in town", many people think that's important.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

20 months later and here I am again. I have slowly purchased a couple of the pieces I've needed to make this thing work. The final thing is to decide on speakers and a highly qualified amp tech to put the whole thing back together for me and bias it. I am confident I could do this myself, but for maintaining the integrity and value of the amp, I will leave it to a reputable tech. 

So here is what I need. 

First, where can I find a good amp tech in Michigan?

What speakers should I look at? Is an Alnico magnet going to give the amp any more mojo or value? Would it be the "right" choice for this amp as opposed to a ceramic magnet? I have been looking mostly at Weber 10F150T, 25W, light dope, green hotdog. I'd like smooth tone with moderate breakup without pedals. I still have my Twin Reverb for unlimited clean tone so this Vibrolux needs to be the opposite side of the spectrum. 

• Members

Nice score (WE HATE YOU!)  LOL  If it's an original it worth a couple grand more if it's working.

About 10 years ago a guy I know from another band found one at a yard sale for $100 and talked them down to $85. Then the seller asked if he wanted to buy this old guitar his dad played in a Surf Band. So he ended up buying a Fender Jaguar and a bunch of other stuff for about $250. Both were mid '60's and in good condition.

Looks like it's an original, you should try plugging it in.  My guess is it can be fixed no matter whats wrong, Lots of people work on them. I do my own work.

• Members

Greg_In_Michigan wrote:

What is the reason the change it to a 3 prong cord? I see most people do that as well but nobody has explained why. I really want to do the work myself, but in the interest of time I may take it to Elderly Instruments, or Enzo at Shiawassee Technical Services (I think) if he is still in business. Elderly has sent me to Enzo in the past for my Twin Reverb. Also, where can I get spray to clean the pots? I cannot find any.

Of course you're right. Get it running, plug it in, plug in your axe, then kiss your microphone.:smileyeek:

• Members

Greg_In_Michigan wrote:

What is the reason the change it to a 3 prong cord? I see most people do that as well but nobody has explained why. I really want to do the work myself, but in the interest of time I may take it to Elderly Instruments, or Enzo at Shiawassee Technical Services (I think) if he is still in business. Elderly has sent me to Enzo in the past for my Twin Reverb. Also, where can I get spray to clean the pots? I cannot find any.

Does it have a ground switch?  Most older Fender amps with a 2 prong power cord did. My '66 Deluxe Reverb was a 2 prong with a ground switch, My '75 Twin had a 3 prong and a 3 way ground switch. The reason they put a 3 prong cord on is to get the polarity (ground) properly set, older wall outlets were 2 prong, no ground. The ground switch on the olders ones reversed the polarity, older amps without a ground switch had the chance of  shocking you, that could be fixed by reversing the plug in the wall outlet.  I'll tell you from my own experience, as a kid I used to get shocked all the time until I figured out I could reverse the plug, or flip the ground switch if it had one. Tuner Cleaner works pretty good, you can get it at Radio Shack or other electronic stores even Home Depot has it where I live.   

EDIT:  I looked again and it looks like it has a ground switch, looks like it's wired to the fuse. Also has the 120V outlet on the back, someting else I miss on the reissue amps.  Sweet! 

Archived