The *OFFICIAL* Marshall JMP-1 Militia

geek_usa

• Members

Hi,

I would like to hear from guys that are plugging the Jmp-1 into a TUBE power amp. I have one although i have not hooked it up. (I plan on getting a marshall 9200 power amp) so I am intersted in hearing what you guys think. Thanks,

Rob

Yeah...I use a Peavey Classic 50/50 (in mono, so 100W). It sounds great. I just re-tubed my JMP1 with a pair of JJ's and it sounds even better:)

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The Mesa 2:90 is my mainstay, I've tried both the Triaxis and the Jmp-1 with it, and a few random other things... In the past I've been a Mesa purest which led me initially to the Triaxis. For my purposes the Triaxis is just too much. I like the really tight articulated bottom of the Marshall OD2 channel. I know it's entirely a matter of preference, but with the Triaxis I just couldn't dial in what I wanted. With the Marshall, it just sort of... happened... I tweeked a few knobs and it was there... I don't know what else to say - I'd be lost without this thing. Jmp-1 makes me wet.

• Members

The Mesa 2:90 is my mainstay, I've tried both the Triaxis and the Jmp-1 with it, and a few random other things... In the past I've been a Mesa purest which led me initially to the Triaxis. For my purposes the Triaxis is just too much. I like the really tight articulated bottom of the Marshall OD2 channel. I know it's entirely a matter of preference, but with the Triaxis I just couldn't dial in what I wanted. With the Marshall, it just sort of... happened... I tweeked a few knobs and it was there... I don't know what else to say - I'd be lost without this thing. Jmp-1 makes me wet.

I found the triaxis not quite 'right' too. Nice, but not quite 'right'. Awful lot of options on it, too.

• Members

Yeah I don't know what it was... I {censored}ed around with the Triaxis for probably 12 hours and wasn't able to dial in what I wanted.... I found my tone within 15 minutes of playing through my jmp-1. If you like it, don't {censored} with it...

• Members

Hi,

I would like to hear from guys that are plugging the Jmp-1 into a TUBE power amp. I have one although i have not hooked it up. (I plan on getting a marshall 9200 power amp) so I am intersted in hearing what you guys think. Thanks,

Rob

I have had my JMP-1 since '93 (the first year of production) and have had my 9200 since '97. They both still kill and have never given me any probs. That rig was my main rig for a loooooong time, I must have done a couple hundred shows with it. Get it, you will dig it. :thu:

• Members

Jmp-1 + Mesa 2:ninety vacuum tube power amp = tonal perfection, options, raw power, dynamic... this combo (and I've tried a lot of pre/power amp combos, is by far the best I've come across so far.) My dad plays in a blues band - he used my rig a while ago and was amazed... He normally plays through a '67 Fender Vibrolux, and he was blown away by the sound of my rig. I play metal and funk and reggae and prog and couldn't be happier with the options I get from these two pieces of gear. I'm on my second Jmp-1, the first one I sold like an idiot because I thought I wanted a Triaxis. I was wrong. The 2:90 I got used for $510 shipped, retubed for about $80, and the Jmp-1 I got used from someone on HC for $450. So, all said, it's not anywhere near as expensive as other power/pre combinations out there. Again, all opinion, but dude, it sounds soooooo sweet.

• Members

I used a 2:90 with my JMP-1 for about a year and tonally it was excellent. Problem was the build quality was not so good. Had some screws come out and almost short out the amp. These were the nuts/bolts that held the transformer in, too. Great tone but not happy with the build quality, at least on mine.

• Members

yeah, most marshall stuff is questionably built... their cabs look sweet and sound sweet but the handles don't ever last and the tolex i think is the thinnest grade tolex that exists. mesa all the way on quality of craftsmanship.

:confused: My 2:90 was the amp that was falling apart, not my Marshall. I have a pair of 1960BV cabs that I have had since 1997. They have probably 300 gigs on them and have never failed me whatsoever. Including the handles. :thu:

• Members

:confused:
My 2:90 was the amp that was falling apart, not my Marshall. I have a pair of 1960BV cabs that I have had since 1997. They have probably 300 gigs on them and have never failed me whatsoever. Including the handles.
:thu:

my bad... guess I need to pay closer attention before responding. Well, bummer about your 2:90. Mesa (in my experience), does a really good job with support and repair... they just take a long time. I really don't know where they get the bad rap from when it comes to customer service.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi, Just wondering if anyone can give me some detailed advise on how

to use a boss D/Delay with a Marshall JMP-1. I have tried running this infront

of the unit and it sounds fizzy and lifeless especially with the distortion sounds. The delay settings actually change from one patch to another on the JMP even though I don't change these on the pedal. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks:cool:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Hello Chaps!...erm...I mean Guys..:lol:

Newbie here armed with some dumbass :confused:questions on my Marshall JMP 1 which just arrived from Ebay.

It might help to know my set up etc before I kick off:

Fender strats with Di marzio Hs1 pups> Ibanez TS9 tubescreamer > Marshall JMP 1 > Marshall 9000 series power amp 50/50 valve (the black one not he gold one) > Marshall Power brakes (one per channel) > Marshall 1912 1x12 cabs.

The JMp1 arrived just two days ago so i am new to it. However I have to say that so far it is not sounding cool. It has way to much 'unorganic FIZZ' and the gain isn't very smooth....it feels 'sticky' to play with (I know that sounded bad...:rolleyes::rolleyes:) & the amp is a little noisey. I have it set like this:

JMP 1 50% output level

Power amp 90% gain

Power brakes anywhere between full open to just one

I hav etried all the loaded jmp1 patches and a few of my own and the basic sound is still bad.

However , when I route the JMp 1 out via the speaker emulator instead of the main outs things get way better:confused::confused:

The ebay seller claims to have had this thing re valved just one year ago and had the amp sitting in an unused rack since then, it also has a Marshall service sticker on it from last year.

I am aware that a mod can be done, however I am in the UK so shipping to the states is a big cost on top of the mod costs. So Does anybody know of a place in the UK that does a mod like this ?

http://www.voodooamps.com/home/Modifications/AmpModsUpgrades/Marshall/JMP1Preamp/tabid/150/Default.aspx

I cant afford to get large 4x 12 cabs really and they are a huge pain in the a**** to load up for gigs etc.

I am keen to keep tweaking this until I get a 'sound' before I start blaming the unit...so what could be the problem here??? Any ideas/suggestions for me?

TIA

:)

• Members

Hello Chaps!...erm...I mean Guys..
:lol:

Newbie here armed with some dumbass :confused:questions on my Marshall JMP 1 which just arrived from Ebay.

It might help to know my set up etc before I kick off:

Fender strats with Di marzio Hs1 pups> Ibanez TS9 tubescreamer > Marshall JMP 1 > Marshall 9000 series power amp 50/50 valve (the black one not he gold one) > Marshall Power brakes (one per channel) > Marshall 1912 1x12 cabs.

The JMp1 arrived just two days ago so i am new to it. However I have to say that so far it is not sounding cool. It has way to much 'unorganic FIZZ' and the gain isn't very smooth....it feels 'sticky' to play with (I know that sounded bad...
:rolleyes:
:rolleyes:) & the amp is a little noisey. I have it set like this:

JMP 1 50% output level

Power amp 90% gain

Power brakes anywhere between full open to just one

I hav etried all the loaded jmp1 patches and a few of my own and the basic sound is still bad.

However , when I route the JMp 1 out via the speaker emulator instead of the main outs things get way better:confused:
:confused:

The ebay seller claims to have had this thing re valved just one year ago and had the amp sitting in an unused rack since then, it also has a Marshall service sticker on it from last year.

I am aware that a mod can be done, however I am in the UK so shipping to the states is a big cost on top of the mod costs. So Does anybody know of a place in the UK that does a mod like this ?

http://www.voodooamps.com/home/Modifications/AmpModsUpgrades/Marshall/JMP1Preamp/tabid/150/Default.aspx

I cant afford to get large 4x 12 cabs really and they are a huge pain in the a**** to load up for gigs etc.

I am keen to keep tweaking this until I get a 'sound' before I start blaming the unit...so what could be the problem here??? Any ideas/suggestions for me?

TIA

play around with the settings I can get a very smooth sound.

whats level is your presence on I personally turn it to 0.

What OD are you using (I prefer OD1 for rhythm and OD2 for lead).

What tubes are you using, I use JJ's I find them warmer and smoother.

I do not use the speaker emulation.

• Members

i have spent hours messing around with the settings and have tried everything, the clean tones are nice especially the loaded patch 17. I turned down the prescence to about -4...

...like i said it sounds cool via the speaker emulator but like an unlubed rasping grit laden metallic chainsaw on the main outs.

How about if I swapped the pre amp tubes around...isnt one for the od channels and the other for the cleans? Maybe the OD channel tube is just dead?

• Members

I've found the JMP 1 to be rather smooth sounding.

If it's as raspy as you say, my two cents worth is it's buggered.

Try setiings as (with your TS off)

OD1

bass shift off

volume at 15 or so

gain 15 ish

bass + 3

mid - 4

tre + 3

presence + 1 ish

I this still sounds like a Boss MetalZone, it's definitely {censored}ed.

• Members

Ok I used those exact settings and it sounds like {censored}. It sound like a guitar di'd into a desk through a cruddy distortion pedal...totally unplayable.

this still sounds like a Boss MetalZone, it's definitely {censored}ed

Ok...thanks..."{censored}ed" being a technical term for what specific damage?:)

• Members

Ok I used those exact settings and it sounds like {censored}. It sound like a guitar di'd into a desk through a cruddy distortion pedal...totally unplayable.

Ok...thanks..."{censored}ed" being a technical term for what specific damage?

Not a clue!

What you're describing though, sounds like what it will sound like going direct into a desk or pa.....main outs fizzy as hell while the direct outs sound ok.....Whatever, it's not right.

Either send it back to the guy you bought it off as it clearly doesn't work and he claims it does, or send it to Marshall to get it fixed and get the seller to foot the bill.

Neilrocks25 is selling one (see his sig) for

• Members

Not a clue!

What you're describing though, sounds like what it will sound like going direct into a desk or pa.....main outs fizzy as hell while the direct outs sound ok.....Whatever, it's not right.

Either send it back to the guy you bought it off as it clearly doesn't work and he claims it does, or send it to Marshall to get it fixed and get the seller to foot the bill.

Neilrocks25 is selling one (see his sig) for

• Members

Hi, Just wondering if anyone can give me some detailed advise on how

to use a boss D/Delay with a Marshall JMP-1. I have tried running this infront

of the unit and it sounds fizzy and lifeless especially with the distortion sounds. The delay settings actually change from one patch to another on the JMP even though I don't change these on the pedal. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks:cool:

Put the delay in the FX loop of the JMP1. Generally, delay, modulation and reverb effects are best placed after the distortion in the effects chain.

• Members

play around with the settings I can get a very smooth sound.

whats level is your presence on I personally turn it to 0.

What OD are you using (I prefer OD1 for rhythm and OD2 for lead).

What tubes are you using, I use JJ's I find them warmer and smoother.

I do not use the speaker emulation.

+1 for the JJ's. I recently put them in my JMP1 and it sounds fantastic.

Archived