The *OFFICIAL* Marshall JMP-1 Militia

geek_usa

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just sold mine, it's an ok preamp, but nothing like a good head, i like the clarity it had, but prefer the distortion on my Poundcake.

now i'm toying around with a sansamp psa1, it's really fun for some of those buzzsaw distortion and great cleans.

• Members

Originally posted by pol

I just sold mine, it's an ok preamp, but nothing like a good head, i like the clarity it had, but prefer the distortion on my Poundcake.

now i'm toying around with a sansamp psa1, it's really fun for some of those buzzsaw distortion and great cleans.

What power amp did you have? A Diezel or Bogner doesn't make me wanna sell my rig. :love:

• Members

i tried our bassplayers strategy 400, but the jmp1 sounded best thru the fx return on my steavens.

much fatter and warmer then thru the strategy400

I guess the 500 must sound different with those depth boost switches ?

• Members

Originally posted by halford

Will do tonight and get back to ya's
:thu:

something i been meaning to do... but tonight... feels like the night it will happen
:wave:

ok tried this out last night and it works fine through the effects loop of my 5150 *phew*

musta been the effects loop on a old amp i had when i didnt have my head.

so now that my jmp-1 is working, i will be borrowing a 20/20 for a week or too from a shop.

whats peoples experiances with the jmp-1 and marshall 20/20?

• Members

Originally posted by pol

i tried our bassplayers strategy 400, but the jmp1 sounded best thru the fx return on my steavens.

Yeah it's a lot different. I never run it without Deep mode. :D

• Members

I had a JMP-1 and I loved it. It really was a great setup. But I will say that a damn good head is about the best tone you can get. It is just more organic.

When I had my JMP-1, I was running it through a black faced Intellifex and into a Mesa 50/50. The Mesa was just awesome. Something about 6L6s that just sounded bad ass.

• Members

Originally posted by halford

ok tried this out last night and it works fine through the effects loop of my 5150 *phew*

musta been the effects loop on a old amp i had when i didnt have my head.

so now that my jmp-1 is working, i will be borrowing a 20/20 for a week or too from a shop.

whats peoples experiances with the jmp-1 and marshall 20/20?

Heys! I used the jmp1 together with the marshall 20/20 for over a year and i just sold the poweramp.

Somehow i found that the tone was a little too mid rangey and lacked "fullness" and oomps. I just got a vht 2/50/2 3 days ago and i can assure you that it is a MUCH better pairing than the 20/20. It sounds very full and round now!

• Members

I run my Voodoo modded JMP-1 in the effects loop of a GT-8. GT-8 into a Marshall El34 50/50 using 6l6 tubes. Run stereo into 1960A 4x12 with gt-75's. I've been using this rig for 6 months and have not felt compelled to search for a different amp or tone.

My usual settings

are od-1

vol 17

gain 16

bass 3

mid -2

treb 4

pres 3

bass shift off

JMP-1 front output 1 oclock

Power amp

b voicing

3/4 volume

pres 1/4

Control volume with gt-8 Gt-8 also is my midi switcher.

I use about 300 mil sec analog delay

a hint of chorus.

LEts keep the thread alive and post your settings.

Mr Hiwatt

• Members

Originally posted by pol

Yep I hade a strategy 400 and I like my 2:90 much better with the JMP-1, due to the deep mode the sound was just thicker at the end of the day...

xgx

• Members

i just became a proud member of the marshall jmp-1 militia last night :thu:

im running it with a mesa 50/50 into a peavey 4x12ms cab

anyone have any tips on this unit?

i think i read somewhere to run the output volume at -20db so you can crank the poweramp more...anything more like that?

• Members

that's useless, you won't be cranking the poweramp more at -20 db. It will allow you to put the put the master higher, but since your input signal to the poweramp is at -20 db, the poweramp wouldn't be working harder.

• Members

Originally posted by pol

that's useless, you won't be cranking the poweramp more at -20 db. It will allow you to put the put the master higher, but since your input signal to the poweramp is at -20 db, the poweramp wouldn't be working harder.

Actually it does make the power amp work harder when you run it lower. I've been doing that for 4 years or so. Run the preamp low and the power amp high.

• Members

Originally posted by gargamelesp

hey steve! saw that you have the jmp1 and vht 2/50/2 combo as well!

any good tips on how to get a dream theater like rhythm tone? most of the sounds i get are quite mid rangy!

thanks in advance

Both power amps are 2/90/2's. You may want to swap out the EL34's in the 2/50/2 over to KT77's. They will take some of the mid hump out of the sound.

You'll get more DT sounds from OD2 in the JMP1 with the mids around -1, gain about 17, no bass boost.

Also, what speakers are you using?

If you have V30's, that may be the problem.

Steve

• Members

im using a stock marshall cab with celestion g12t-75 speakers

i just got the 2/50/2 and i think it would be a little wasteful to swap the tubes out so quickly! ah...

actually im using an expandora as a boost pedal and i found that i prefered od1 as it seems to sound heavier. the lack of gain on that channel compared to od2 dosent really matter since im boosting it with a pedal

• Members

wow, i finally got to play my new setup today, and it sounds heavenly...i cant wait to try it out in practise and at our show on friday

i need a footswitch though...what do you guys reccommend??

keep in mind, i only need to change between a few patches on the preamp...i use a couple stomp boxes for my effects

i just saw a tech21 midi mouse, and a g minor midi footswitch...i think i need something like that, if not that

Archived