Peavey VTM Mods Lounge

Sixtonoize

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

so tonight at band practice, first time with the VTM..it sounded amazing! but did anyone notice how tough this thing is to get out of the headshell? we wanted to look inside to see how the guts looked, but the little screw inserts on the sides of the chassis were stuck on the inside of the shell... took a few minutes to get it out, where as other amps we have worked on, it slides right out! pain the a$$.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TU BE

View Post

Yes, they are a pain in the ass to get out of the headshell. I had the same problem when I modded mine.

my buddy JSutter was stunned..hes worked on all of his amps and he couldn't BELIEVE how tough it was to slide out, he seemed a little worried at first lol..when we go to mod the headshell and anything else, we'll be ready this time

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Sixtonoize View Post
That's actually pretty easy, because the DIP switches short to ground. All you'd need to do is connect the tip and ring of the setting you'd want to change in place of the DIP switch.

To switch all of the functions, you'd need 4 stereo jacks.
Any way of replacing the dip switches with spst switches ect?
The schematic includes the board artwork in it, Im thinking about making a pcb and populating it myself.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Great thread, I just picked a VTM60 fullstack for 300 bucks yesterday (also got a PA in the deal). Sounds beastly!

I need to work on it a bit, a few of the pots are scratchy, and it's noisy, even through the hum canceling positions on my Strat. I haven't messed with the hum balance control, though, so hopefully doing that will help.

To change to EL34's, I would just need to rebias it (gonna put in the bias pot...), right?

EDIT: I don't use all that much gain, probably around Guns and Roses status, at most, so using an A/B box for high/lo gain inputs should be good enough for me, when it comes to clean and dirty tones.

• Members

You can't use an A/B box to switch the gain levels in the VTM series. The way that the inputs work, as soon as you plug something into the Low input, both inputs become Low, which makes switching with an A/B box impossible. You can, however, mod the amp so that the two inputs are footswitchable, but it's a little complicated. Details on how to do it are in this thread.

Switching to EL34s is more complicated than just re-biasing. It can be done, but there are a few resistors that have to be replaced to handle 34s.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by squealies6505

View Post

my buddy JSutter was stunned..hes worked on all of his amps and he couldn't BELIEVE how tough it was to slide out, he seemed a little worried at first lol..when we go to mod the headshell and anything else, we'll be ready this time

yes it is. my triumph is also the same way, near impossible.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Sixtonoize View Post
You can't use an A/B box to switch the gain levels in the VTM series. The way that the inputs work, as soon as you plug something into the Low input, both inputs become Low, which makes switching with an A/B box impossible. You can, however, mod the amp so that the two inputs are footswitchable, but it's a little complicated. Details on how to do it are in this thread.

Switching to EL34s is more complicated than just re-biasing. It can be done, but there are a few resistors that have to be replaced to handle 34s.
Hm, okay. Well, the amp is already pretty British, so maybe I'll hold off on the tube type swap.

That's disheartening to hear about the A/B box, thought I could get away with something so easy, haha.

I saw your diagram, looks great, thanks for the work you've contributed! smile.gif
you said you added a transformer to cut down on noise, though?

And when you say relay, what do you mean? Could you link to an example? Thanks!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by naazrael View Post
I saw your diagram, looks great, thanks for the work you've contributed! smile.gif
you said you added a transformer to cut down on noise, though?
I actually built a mini-power supply that has its own power transformer. I originally powered the channel-switching circuit from the heater power of the VTM, but it created hum whenever the relay was switched on.

My power supply is pretty simple - it's just a 120v-12v transformer, rectifier, and a cap to smooth out the pulses.

Quote Originally Posted by naazrael View Post
And when you say relay, what do you mean? Could you link to an example? Thanks!
Here's the relay I used:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062483

• Members

Making your own power system is actually easier than drawing power off the heater lines. You can do it from the ground up, and are guaranteed no hum issues. I did the music-electronics forum method on my VTM120. I've posed on here before some other help about the two channel mod.

The trick is to have the relay powered on when you're on the channel with less gain. I set mine up for clean/high gain and have no more noise than when it was stock. The thing to remember with the music-electronics method is DO NOT SHARE GROUNDS. If you have a jack on the chassis, it MUST be isolated. Any interaction between the chassis ground and the relay power system = massive hum.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Cool, good to know.

I also re-read the thread, saw that changing R2 might help, as well. If I could find a place that sold 1W resistors locally before Sunday, that'd be brilliant...

I know Radioshack has 1W resistors sometimes...Maybe they'll have the right value..

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Changing that plate resistor to 220K really helped remove the fuzz! Really simple mod, big payoff, I think.

My next two concerns are:
- Punchiness
- Noise

Would doing the bias mod warm it up more, and give it a thicker, punchier sound?
What can I do to reduce noise?

• Members

Ah, very true. Warming it up at low volumes would be amazing!

I'll have to grab some more parts then. What wattage rating does the pot have to be? Is it specific?

I was thinking about replacing the resistors in there for metal film. Worth it for lowering noise?

• Members

The pot doesn't have to be anything special. The bias circuit is only like 60v and it's low amperage. I used a 1/2 watt pot in mine and it's plenty...most amps use very low power trimmers (like 1/10th watt or less).

It may help to replace certain resistors with metal film to lower noise...the earlier that they are in the preamp, the more effect that they'll have. I've never really thought about it myself, but I'm definitely interested in hearing the results.

• Members

Perfect, I may have some Alpha pots that'll fit the bill, in that case. I need to get a new multimeter though, before I can even check anything like that.

Yeah, I get a fair amount of noise. I only turn the first HIGH DIP switch on, and the MID switch on.
Then my settings have the preamp gain turned up all the way, and the poweramp gain is at 2.
The Bass is around 11 o'clock, and the mids is up all the way, and the treble is around 2 o'clock. The Prescence is around noon.
I get a fair amount of noise, nothing insane, but it isn't cured by a noise gate in front of my amp.

Through my Avatar cab, it sounds monstrous! Sounds massive and heavy, even though I don't have the extra gain stage on. I am tempted to try it through the fullstack I got with it, haha....

What are your settings?

• Members

tonight i was changing preamp tubes..the board makes me SO nervous, even though i know it's fine.... everything was going great..then i go to move one of the sovteks into the PI. and for some reason, it didn't want to go into the V4. I tried two sovtek LPS's in the same socket and it squeaked and wouldn't sit in the socket whatsoever. I also have JJ's, EH's, and Mesa STR pre's that fit perfectly fine in that same socket,and made no squeaky noises..the LPS's fit in the other sockets. very strange..i hope i didnt hurt anything trying to get it in there..i was pushing as hard as anyone would to get a tube in, heard the squeaking (probably the pins im guessing?) and gave up after 3 times and after trying my other tubes. any ideas? or just one of those freak things.

edit: forget to mention it has no problem as far as how wide the tube is. the pins were lined up, and the tube had plenty of clearance. it was probably just a freak thing. NEITHER would go in though. dammit.

Archived