Peavey VTM Mods Lounge

Sixtonoize

• Members

awesome!!! exactly the place i wanted!

i owned 2 vtm too!

my first(vtm120) was from a guy at montreal... with the cab.

its my first tube amp and i modded to have something closer to the circuit of a marshall 1959slp, i added a parallel footswitch with resistors to the volume knob and a volume pedal too to get more clean volume and dirty easily.

for the look it look like an amp of a fan of the simpsons and acdc.

my second(another vtm120) was from trading musician at seattle, and is completly modded to be like a jtm45 circuit with the look of a parody of marshall with plexiglass in front, led and an Angus action figure inside.

i dont use choke resistors, i change for the coil but it never changed the sound to me anyway.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Sixtonoize View Post
I bias-modded my VTM. I used a 22k resistor and a 50k pot.
It's DEFINITELY warmer/fatter, but I still can't get it quite hot enough - The bias maxes out right now at 35ma, which is still better than the 14ma I was getting before. I think a 10k resistor would be a better choice.
Do you have a schematic or can you give me a quick how to? I have the parts, just don't have the directions!

• Members

All you have to do for the bias mid is replace R8 on the power supply board with a pot and limiting resistor. R8 is 47k, and I replaced mine with a 22k resistor, but I'd recommend going lower, as I still can't get my tubes in a regular range. I'd say that 10k and a 25k linear pot ought to do the trick, and would still allow you to get back to the "stock" range if you set the bias to the minimum (maximum resistance).

bias.bmp

• Members

That's actually pretty easy, because the DIP switches short to ground. All you'd need to do is connect the tip and ring of the setting you'd want to change in place of the DIP switch.

To switch all of the functions, you'd need 4 stereo jacks.

• Members
That's actually pretty easy, because the DIP switches short to ground. All you'd need to do is connect the tip and ring of the setting you'd want to change in place of the DIP switch.

To switch all of the functions, you'd need 4 stereo jacks.
So, say I lowered my standards and I want to have a footswitch for Gain 1 and Gain 2, or Gain 1 and Low 1, or something like that, I could use one stereo footswitch.

• Members

It's the same concept - you'd need one ground line that would connect to the chassis, and each pin in the DIN jack would be connected in place of the DIP switch for the function you want to switch. Then, you'd need some sort of adapter or cable to go from the DIN jack to whatever footswitch you wanted to use.

In the footswitch itself, each switch would connect the finction (Gain, Comression, etc) to the ground lead.

You could also make a 16-pin breakout box...

Pull out the DIP switch piece, and in its place, you could use a standard 16-pin socket that's connected to a 9-conductor wire (8 functions and one ground), and connect THAT to a 4-jack breakout box, which would allow full functionality without the need to mod your amp at ALL.

• Members
It's the same concept - you'd need one ground line that would connect to the chassis, and each pin in the DIN jack would be connected in place of the DIP switch for the function you want to switch. Then, you'd need some sort of adapter or cable to go from the DIN jack to whatever footswitch you wanted to use.

In the footswitch itself, each switch would connect the finction (Gain, Comression, etc) to the ground lead.

You could also make a 16-pin breakout box...

Pull out the DIP switch piece, and in its place, you could use a standard 16-pin socket that's connected to a 9-conductor wire (8 functions and one ground), and connect THAT to a 4-jack breakout box, which would allow full functionality without the need to mod your amp at ALL.

Sweet. I was always baffled at why they wanted to make all these cool options so difficult to get to.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Hi all, I haven't read the whole trend, but I did an el34 conversion/choke mod about 3 years ago. Really liked it, but was moving into an apartment at the time so half stacks were a no go. Anyway I put it on ebay, and some guy (from france, maybe. somewhere in Europe no doubt) sent me a PDF of a lot of mods he did to emulate the tone of a Marshall. I have not confirmed any of them, but will be happy to send it to anyone who's interested.

***Anyone who wants the PDF, just PM me your Email addy

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by freeridstylee

View Post

Hi all, I haven't read the whole trend, but I did an el34 conversion/choke mod about 3 years ago. Really liked it, but was moving into an apartment at the time so half stacks were a no go. Anyway I put it on ebay, and some guy (from france, maybe. somewhere in Europe no doubt) sent me a PDF of a lot of mods he did with a number of mods on it. I have not confirmed any of them, but will be happy to send it to anyone who's interested.

Welcome to a very elite amp club mate thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by freeridstylee View Post
Hi all, I haven't read the whole trend, but I did an el34 conversion/choke mod about 3 years ago. Really liked it, but was moving into an apartment at the time so half stacks were a no go. Anyway I put it on ebay, and some guy (from france, maybe. somewhere in Europe no doubt) sent me a PDF of a lot of mods he did with a number of mods on it. I have not confirmed any of them, but will be happy to send it to anyone who's interested.
I'm interested.idea.gif

Please PM me

• Members

When I did the choke mod, I put in a switch to go from the resistor to the choke, and could never really hear hear any big difference. I however do highly recommend the el34 conversion to anyone who is going for an authentic marshall sound (crunch). As for looks mod, get some salt and pepper grill cloth (or whatever bogner uses), and wrap that front panel, it looks great even with that monster of a head cab.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Guiary View Post
I've done some mods to it which I'll have to look up to see what was done again (wanted it tighter and more aggressive), and I had help from a few of the board members (thanks again to those who helped!!!)

Cosmetic mods...:
Picture2005.jpg
is that a 5150 housing? It looks way better like that. I'm looking to do something similar to mine.

-Jimmy-

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SirJackdeFuzz

View Post

Might just do that smile.gif

dude i got my VTM 60 today..WOW!!! this thing is amazing for the price..i picked it up for 189.99 used at a local music store..they had NO clue what it was..GOOD THING THEY DIDN'T KNOW. but yeah im going to order everything for the 5150 cosmetically..the VTM is worth it!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by squealies6505 View Post
dude i got my VTM 60 today..WOW!!! this thing is amazing for the price..i picked it up for 189.99 used at a local music store..they had NO clue what it was..GOOD THING THEY DIDN'T KNOW. but yeah im going to order everything for the 5150 cosmetically..the VTM is worth it!
GOOD TO HEAR MATE thumb.gif

Do post clips when you can !!!

And Congrats on your hot rodded JCM800 evil.gif

• 1 month later...
  • Members

i really need to do the 5150 headshell mod..but i picked up my VTM60 at daddys (had it shipped from portsmouth as soon as i saw it!) for 190 bucks and ive had it for a while now..no rust, no noises, definitely has been gone over inside and i can tell its been taken apart and worked on..it sounds AMAZING..JJ's in the power and sovtek LPS preamp tubes..amps are absolutely killer sounding and this thread has inspired me to get going and work on it..so glad i stumbled upon this one. its near perfect..NOW ITS TIME TO MAKE IT MOREEEEEEE PERFECT by putting it in a 5150 shell

Archived