Peavey VTM Mods Lounge

Sixtonoize

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Sixtonoize View Post
It could be over-sized pins, but I am not sure if Sovteks have over-sized pins.

I wouldn't force it, especially if you have tubes that will work just fine in those positions.
yeah i backed off after a few attempts left me confused.gif

the others fit like a dream, hopefully i didn't do any damage..the amp/socket still works great..like i said, hopefully just a freak thing, and nothing is hurt from what i can tell.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ENdtime

View Post

Bastards! I have always had the VTM in the back of my mind as an amp I'd like to get ahold of.. I got a little extra $ from a job today, which I could easily make disappear before I realize I could do something responsible with it..

once you hear a VTM in person, it'll be even easier to make it magically disappear.cop.gif

• Members

So a quick search finds only a VTM 60 on Ebay with a starting point of $350.. Without reading the entire thread, are there any noticeable changes between the 60 and 120? In comparison I have a 5150 combo which is 60 watts and it is definitely different than the head version.. I actually prefer the combo, but I think I would want the bigger 120 watt for the VTM.. Any suggestions otherwise?

• Members

The only difference between the 60 and 120 is the wattage.
There are significant differences between the 5150 combo and head, but this isn't the case with the VTM 60/120.

I've actually heard that some people like the 60 more because it's easier to get the power section working...but personally, I've only ever owned 60s, so I can't really comment from experience.

Quote Originally Posted by PlaysGuitar View Post
{censored} it's between waiting for a VTM for $200 or under, or buying a Windsor now for $150 and a boost. GRrrrrRRrrRrrRRrrRrrrRRRRrrrr
It's not very likely that you'll get a VTM for under $200. Maybe 10 years ago, but lately people have been realizing how much ass they kick and the prices have risen accordingly. It's definitely possible (I got mine for $90+shipping), but not very likely.

• Members
The only difference between the 60 and 120 is the wattage.
There are significant differences between the 5150 combo and head, but this isn't the case with the VTM 60/120.

I've actually heard that some people like the 60 more because it's easier to get the power section working...but personally, I've only ever owned 60s, so I can't really comment from experience.

It's not very likely that you'll get a VTM for under $200. Maybe 10 years ago, but lately people have been realizing how much ass they kick and the prices have risen accordingly. It's definitely possible (I got mine for $90+shipping), but not very likely.
How would a boosted (modded, a little later) windsor compare to the VTM?

• Members

It really depends on the mod. I'd be willing to bet that you could mod a Windsor to be close, but by the time you bought the Windsor ($150, right?) and then had it modded (at least $300) you could have easily bought the VTM in the first place. The Windsor is different than a VTM, though...it's got a bit of its mid voicing from the Ultra series, so it's really got its own thing going on.

I think a boosted Windsor might be better for more modern stuff and a VTM might be better for more vintagey rock, but I don't really know, because I've never been able to really crank a Windsor. The power section has a lot to do with voicing as well, and that's one area where I've got zero knowledge.

• Members
It really depends on the mod. I'd be willing to bet that you could mod a Windsor to be close, but by the time you bought the Windsor ($150, right?) and then had it modded (at least $300) you could have easily bought the VTM in the first place. The Windsor is different than a VTM, though...it's got a bit of its mid voicing from the Ultra series, so it's really got its own thing going on.

I think a boosted Windsor might be better for more modern stuff and a VTM might be better for more vintagey rock, but I don't really know, because I've never been able to really crank a Windsor. The power section has a lot to do with voicing as well, and that's one area where I've got zero knowledge.
Well, I play thrash/prog/death metal. I think i'll just get the windsor now, then sell it for a VTM later.

• Members

Another random question. I found one for sale but the guy says that I'd need pedals for metal / hard rock (I play like Iron Maiden / Judas Priest stuff, not like gained out death metal or whatever). Anything I should look out for when I go test it out? Or any sample settings I should plug in to see if anything is out of the norm with the head?

• Members

It doesn't need pedals for Maiden/Priest stuff. Maybe slap an SD-1/Tubescreamer in front for solos and such, but you really dont need anything else. If you need more gain, flip up both gain DIP switches. I never found a need for the 2nd one turned on.

Make sure the pots arent scratchy, no weird buzzes/humming etc.

Sample settings? Start with everything at noon and work from there, should give you a good idea what it can do. Oh, and turn it up! Below 3-4 it sounds much weaker than what it really can do (but still good).

Archived