The Official HCAF MMA thread.

anti-flag193

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Rear Naked

View Post

a tad oversimplified duderpoke.gif

You should ask Shaolin what they were doing wrong, seeing as he did completely school Mr. Nakamura there a few years back. smile.gif

Shaolin is preparing a very special grappling lesson for Mr. Aoki as well, I hear.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Rear Naked

View Post

a tad oversimplified duderpoke.gif

definitely but you HAVE to admit, that there was not even a remote attempt at the most fundamental aspect of it, right? BTW, I am not saying that there was no skills (the endless amount of transistions was awe inspiring) but that they were so spent that even focusing on control was a lost concept.

Anyways, just wanted to throw this up for anyone who may have missed it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ7pBfSe9eU

buwahahahhaha

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mustaine.dv8

View Post

My money is on Lesnar. Isn't Nog a little past his time? Mir thinks hes the new and improved after beating Nog. Give me break, Nog isn't that great anymore. Hopefully Bisping loses as well, can't stand him.

MIR HASNT said that his fight against nog has made him any better, but instead that he has fallen in love with boxing (which REALLY showed against nog, regardless of him possibly being "past his prime" ). Frank is looking like he is tremendous shape, isworking HARD to develop a whole new aspect to his game, and is seriously hungry!

that said, is "past his prime" the war cry of the crying nuthuggers or excuse makers? I mean arlovski has looked like {censored} lately, but that dude is not past his prime (though his jaw may have been turned into glass facepalm.gif )

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by nvcreations

View Post

MIR HASNT said that his fight against nog has made him any better, but instead that he has fallen in love with boxing (which REALLY showed against nog, regardless of him possibly being "past his prime" ). Frank is looking like he is tremendous shape, isworking HARD to develop a whole new aspect to his game, and is seriously hungry!

that said, is "past his prime" the war cry of the crying nuthuggers or excuse makers? I mean arlovski has looked like {censored} lately, but that dude is not past his prime (though his jaw may have been turned into glass facepalm.gif )

You really think Mir and his boxing can handle a big freak like Lesnar? No one besides Randy has really tested Lesnar when it comes to going toe to toe, so Lesnar hasn't faced much. I hope Lesnar smartens up on his ground game and sub defense. I really think Mirs only chance will be on the ground.

As for Arlovski, He's turning into a major {censored} show. Such a let down, I always love watching him and lately he's just been getting owned like a savage.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by thinkpad20

View Post

He better prepare pretty hard...

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of ol' banana pants, but Shaolin is just flat-out better on the ground, which is clearly where this fight will take place. Aoki is really slick and crafty with crazy subs, but Shaolin's superior positioning and fundamentals will win out.

• Members

View Post

definitely but you HAVE to admit, that there was not even a remote attempt at the most fundamental aspect of it, right? BTW, I am not saying that there was no skills (the endless amount of transistions was awe inspiring) but that they were so spent that even focusing on control was a lost concept.

I'm not with ya here.

To cite an example - the armbar at 4:30 was dead bang. Technically sound by looking at it.

Why couldn't he finish it? Frankly, it is over your head, and mine as well.

My last roll with Marcos Galvao in NYC was funny. He would give me these armbars, giftwrapped. I'm talking about his arm fully extended, my hips close, legs tight, the whole 9 yards as far as i know.

I could NOT tap the dude. Every time i tried to extend my hips to get the tap, it felt like i was losing ALL control and he was just going to slip right out like i had nothing. And that's what he did every damn time. {censored} if i know how, but i do know it wasn't as simple as controlling the direction of his thumbthumb.gif hopefully one day ill figure it out.

getting the thumb up is like the last step in an indefinite amount of steps which change every instance the guy moves...and it doesn't amount to much 'control' as you say.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Osmosis

View Post

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of ol' banana pants, but Shaolin is just flat-out better on the ground, which is clearly where this fight will take place. Aoki is really slick and crafty with crazy subs, but Shaolin's superior positioning and fundamentals will win out.

That's about right.

Aoki has been working on his standup in Thailand, but Shaolin will put Aoki on his ass and control him whether he wants to stand up or not.

Shaolin is one of THE best grapplers at 155 on the planet...maybe even the best. Seriously he is that good. Is Aoki going to gogo him? not likely.

If Aoki pulls the sub, more power to him. It could happen if Shaolin is not sharp....but i have no doubt that Shaolin is the better grappler.

• Members

I need to YouTube shaolin. I keep hearing about him but have no real knowlege. Who is he most like? I like Nick Diaz and Fedors style of ground

work: nick is aggressive and takes a lot of chances, fedors is just simple, to the point.

What's shaolin like?

• Members

Frank Mir v. Brock Lesnar

Brock GNP round 1.

Thiago Alves vs. Georges St. Pierre

GSP dec

Michael Bisping v. Dan Henderson

Bisbing decision (I think Dan will be too slow)

Jake O'Brien v. Jon Jones

Jones tko 3rd

Paulo Thiago v. Jon Fitch

Paulo judges dec

Yoshihiro Akiyama v. Alan Belcher

Sexyama via sub from strikes 2nd

Mark Coleman Stephan Bonnar

Bonnar KO 2nd round

Mac Danzig v. Jim Miller

Draw! Well, maybe Miller by the finest dec

Tom Lawlor v. C.B. Dolloway

CB by open mouth breather

Shannon Gugerty v. Matt Grice

Gug by dec

Dong Hyun Kim v. T.J. Grant

Dongers assemble! One of my fav fighters. Dong will spark him out in the 1st. ALL ABOARD THE DONG TRAIN!!!!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Emelianenko

View Post

I need to YouTube shaolin. I keep hearing about him but have no real knowlege. Who is he most like? I like Nick Diaz and Fedors style of ground

work: nick is aggressive and takes a lot of chances, fedors is just simple, to the point.

What's shaolin like?

Solid takedowns, incredible all-around BJJ. He's got fantastic positioning, top control, subs...he can do it all. He's won the mundials (most prestigious BJJ tournament in the world) something ridiculous like 4 times.

Here is him making Daisuke Nakamura, the guy from the "Greatest Grappling Match Ever" video posted above, look like a complete amateur on the ground...it's not that Nakamura is that bad, it's that Vitor is that good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysJ0qe6ab5c

People always talk about Penn or Aoki as the best grapplers at 155 in MMA, but it's clearly Shaolin.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Osmosis

View Post

People always talk about Penn or Aoki as the best grapplers at 155 in MMA, but it's clearly Shaolin.

How is he clearly the best grappler in MMA when he hasn't come up against Josh Thomson, Frankie Edgar, Diego Sanchez, Aoki, Eddie Alvarez, B.J. Penn, Kenny Florian, etc etc etc etc

How do we know he wouldn't do an Alberto Crane when he goes against the top 10 monsters?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by thefyn

View Post

How is he clearly the best grappler in MMA when he hasn't come up against Josh Thomson, Frankie Edgar, Diego Sanchez, Aoki, Eddie Alvarez, B.J. Penn, Kenny Florian, etc etc etc etc

How do we know he wouldn't do an Alberto Crane when he goes against the top 10 monsters?

I think he is talking about how there are grapplers in MMA but out of them, he is the best GRAPPLER, not all around fighter. I could be totally wrong.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by thefyn

View Post

He has fought and beat top 10ers. Hell he WAS a top ten monster before his long layoff.

Looking at the current 10 ten ranking, he has beaten the number 4 and 5.

Beat Ishida when he was top 10.

Come on now...

• Members

View Post

wait, did I say his boxing would win the match? facepalm.gif

Nah you clearly never said anything about that, just that you said he was working on boxing and it showed against Nog but i was just sayin Mir can box all day with lesnar and lose.

• Members

Nah you clearly never said anything about that, just that you said he was working on boxing and it showed against Nog but i was just sayin Mir can box all day with lesnar and lose.

Lesnars kryptonite is the mexican style hook. He got clipped once in the randy fight and didn't want to trade anymore, at all.

Let's not forget randys frame is a 205 frame. Randy does not have a hw build.

Mirs body is a 230-240 build.

• Members

Lesnars kryptonite is the mexican style hook. He got clipped once in the randy fight and didn't want to trade anymore, at all.

Let's not forget randys frame is a 205 frame. Randy does not have a hw build.

Mirs body is a 230-240 build.

Interesting points... It's gonna be hard to tell how the fight will pan out.

• Members

With the exception of Aoki/Alvarez, none of the people you mentioned have ever "come up against" anyone else on that list either. Example: "How can Penn be the best grappler in MMA when he hasn't come up against Thompson, Edgar, Sanchez, Aoki, Florian, etc etc etc." The fact of the matter is Shaolin has fought and beat many better grapplers than the guys you listed in his competitive BJJ career...he was a completely dominant force on the world grappling circuit before he made the switch to MMA, and he's proven that his abilities are just as good in a ring/cage as on the mat by amassing a 20-2 record with wins over top guys like Hansen, Kawajiri, Ishida, Mitsuoka, etc. He was a perennial top 10 LW before being dropped for inactivity due to an eye injury, and now he's making his comeback.

And please, don't even compare Ribeiro with Alberto Crane. Crane doesn't have 1/10th the accomplishments that Ribeiro does. Shaolin isn't just the best grappler at 155 in MMA, he's one of the best grapplers in the world at any weight, period. He was ranked the 9th greatest BJJ fighter of the 90's by GracieMag, despite only being 20 years old in 1999.

Archived