Mesa F-series Lounge. Come on in and share your secrets.

Dann'sTheMan

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by lovED

View Post

recipher, sweet F-50 bro. I have the F-100 head. It looks so sharp and sounds amazing.

Andy, thank you for the information. I think a tube change may be in order.

What type of tubes do you recommend. I'm thinking about handpicking some tubes and replacing them myself. This is my first tube amp though. I have no idea about tube amp replacing procedures. Would I have to rebias anything if I used the same brand tubes. Plus the preamp tubes in the F-100 are a pain in the ass. I dunno.

lovED

lovED, glad you like the pics! The F-100 has a fixed bias so you don't have to (or can't) rebias it. Check out this older post from Hal9000.

Quote Originally Posted by hal9000

View Post

Progdude, along with Eurotubes, I would suggest looking at www.dougstubes.com. I got my last set from him and the entire F-100 re-tube cost about the same as 4x6L6 from Mesa. Plus, Doug is very good about knowing the right tubes for Mesa amps. Send him an email and you should get a quick response.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Goldwing

View Post

Hi!

When the Loop is modified to work as a serial loop, what is the function of the MIX Pot? Does it work in a different way?

The mix pot doesn't affect anything after the mod.. Actually, I haven't deliberately tested for that, but since a serial loop implies that all the signal is sent through, I'd guess the mix pot has absolutely no effect, whatsoever.

• Members

Dann'sTheMann,

when you say to change the tubes do you mean the power tubes or the preamp tubes, or both...?

If you mean power tubes, what's the advantage of changing preamp tubes and when do they need to be changed?

Oh and Tommi, those clips sound great! I didn't know the f series could get that heavy Totally_jammin_out.gif

• Members

Hi everyone

I have a chance to get an F50 head to replace my F30 combo. The only concern is, the F30 combo's overdrive channel can't go past 9:00, even with an eq pedal's volume in the loop. I know they suck below 9:00, does anyone know if the F50 combo will be louder at that setting?

thanks everyone

hinrich

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dann'sTheMan

View Post

Hi gregv,

You may well need a tube change. I know it's only been a couple of months, but tubes tend to either fail early, or last a long time. Furthermore, EL84s are perhaps the least consistent of the popular tube types, so you're more likely to find unreliable ones.

I'd suggest getting a spare set of tubes. If it is paranoia, then you can keep them as back ups anyway. tongue.gif

Big smiles,

Andy.

P.S. If the volume taper on your amp has changed since you bought it, i.e. you used to get sound at below 9 o'clock on channel one, then this would appear to be a real issue.

so i bought some new EL 84's today and put them in. I think the tone has improved but there is the same issue with the clean channel. There is no volume on this channel until 9 oclock even with these new tubes. I can't say I am 100% sure that this was the case when i got it. Does anyone else have this problem or do you get volume below 9 oclock.

On channel 2 there isnt this issue and it is fine. Any ideas, is this normal, should I call up Mesa??

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by miikku

View Post

hi!

I just registered into the forum

I have played several gigs with mesa F-50 + 2x12 rectifier standard. I use

tc's g-major at the fx loop. I haven't found great high gain sounds for metal rhytm and solo. The livesound is quite sharp and doesn't work at all (gain about 10-11 o'clock).

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Hi miikku,

and welcome to HCAF and the F-series Lounge. What's your idea of a great metal rhythm or solo sound? I'm sure there are brothers here who can suggest some EQ settings. What guitar do you use, and where do you have the Master Volume set to when you play live? smile.gif

Big smiles,

Andy.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by hal9000

View Post

John, welcome to the forum and the F-series brotherhood! smile.gif

You have good taste in gear! I have a similar rig and my American Deluxe Fat Strat has been my #1 for 4.5 years now. I would not recommend your method of reducing amplifier volume for a number of reasons. 1) Reducing the guitar's volume going into the amp will affect the amount of gain the amp will produce. It's basically the same as using a volume pedal out front. So, if you needed a lot of gain, reducing the input signal runs counter to that goal. 2) The American Deluxe Strat does not have treble compensation on the volume control AFAIK so when you turn down, the tone gets muddy since the highs get attenuated disproportionately to the lows. You can solder a capacitor to the volume control to fix the problem so that your guitar's tone will remain the same as it's turned down. So, what to do? If you're not going to be using the loop, check my signature for the "FX Loop Master Volume." In this simple configuration, the FX mix pot becomes your master volume and greatly helps to wrangle the output level. It will allow you to get your channel masters up to the sweet spot, and then turn down the whole amp by the loop. If you intend to use the loop (I'd at least but the Delay there), then I recommend an MXR 10-band EQ as the preferred method of volume reduction. It will also give you fantastic control over the tone as well. Lt_Core uses the MXR 10-band and has had great results. Other devices that will help with the loop volume are FX processors, volume pedals, etc. Basically, anything that will work in the loop and that has a volume control will do the trick.

Hey Jeff, I hope everything is going well?

The FX loop volume trick is referring simply to using a device in the loop such as an FX processor, Volume pedal or EQ (e.g., your rig) to reduce the overall output level. So, in that case, the FX loop is used as normal. Conversely, my FX loop master using the mix pot does disconnect the FX loop by design, so is really for people who put their boxes out front.

In this thread you mentioned this "You can solder a capacitor to the volume control to fix the problem so that your guitar's tone will remain the same as it's turned down. " I use a shecter classic with my F-100 and when I turn down the volume on my guitar my whole tone gets muddy especially in channel 2. If I add a capacitor to the volume control will it work for me and what type of capacitor do I need and how do I solder it to the volume control. Thanks for your help Hal9000thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by lovED

View Post

recipher, sweet F-50 bro. I have the F-100 head. It looks so sharp and sounds amazing.

Andy, thank you for the information. I think a tube change may be in order.

What type of tubes do you recommend. I'm thinking about handpicking some tubes and replacing them myself. This is my first tube amp though. I have no idea about tube amp replacing procedures. Would I have to rebias anything if I used the same brand tubes. Plus the preamp tubes in the F-100 are a pain in the ass. I dunno.

lovED

Hi lovED,

As some other brothers have recommended Doug's Tubes, I'd suggest going with them - they seem to have a good reputation. Being based in Europe, I buy from Watford Valves (www.watfordvalves.com). I'm currently running JJs in V1 and V2, stock Mesas in V3 and V4 and TADs in the Power Section. I'm due a tube change, so I may well experiment again. tongue.gif

The good thing about Mesa amps is that as long as you tell your reputable Tube supplier to send tubes within Mesa's range for current drawer, you don't need to do any re-biasing of the Power Tubes (Pre-amp tubes i.e. V1, V2 etc don't ever need to be biased). So you can experiemnt to your heart's content! smile.gif

The actual tube change is pretty straightforward - a bit like changing a light bulb. The only complication with the combos is that you will likely have to unbolt the chassis and slide it out a little way to get convenient access to all of the tubes (you shouldn't need to slide it out entirely and expose the electrical components). and see that your lining up the pins correctly when pushing the new tubes back in. Pre-amp tubes wiggle straight out (twist off the metal protective sleeve first - a bit like a bayonet light bulb). Power-amp tubes (the tall and fat ones) have a retaining clip, as well as requiring a twist before they slide out - note there is a groove on 6L6 tubes to make sure they are inserted the right way. Hope that helps, smile.gif

Big smiles,

Andy.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tolling_bells

View Post

Dann'sTheMann,

when you say to change the tubes do you mean the power tubes or the preamp tubes, or both...?

If you mean power tubes, what's the advantage of changing preamp tubes and when do they need to be changed?

Oh and Tommi, those clips sound great! I didn't know the f series could get that heavy Totally_jammin_out.gif

Hi tolling_bells,

It depends on the type of problem being heard.

Failing power amp tubes tend to be crackly, and you get unexpected noises from time to time, volume variations etc etc (the site that eddie.perez linked to has a good summary of symptoms). I always recommend changing the Power Tubes regularly, say every year to two years depending on usage - you really want to change the Power Tubes before they fail because when they do, they can take out screen resistors etc.

Failing pre-amp tubes tend to have a higher noise floor, can become microphonic, and may cause signal problems in particular channels. The problem that you described in your amp may be a pre-amp tube issue (but I have come across F-series amps that have very little volume early in their knob's travel). If it is a pre-amp tube issue, then it might have been a while since the power-amp tubes were changed, so that might be in order too. smile.gif

Big smiles,

Andy.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by eddie.perez

View Post

In this thread you mentioned this "You can solder a capacitor to the volume control to fix the problem so that your guitar's tone will remain the same as it's turned down. " I use a shecter classic with my F-100 and when I turn down the volume on my guitar my whole tone gets muddy especially in channel 2. If I add a capacitor to the volume control will it work for me and what type of capacitor do I need and how do I solder it to the volume control. Thanks for your help Hal9000thumb.gif

Hi eddie.perez,

I hope you don't mind me stepping in. tongue.gif What Neil/hal9000 was describing is called a "treble bleed capacitor". A quick Google search will swamp you with info. Here's a useful start: http://dominocs.com/AshBassGuitar/modtreble.html

Big smiles,

Andy.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by gregv

View Post

so i bought some new EL 84's today and put them in. I think the tone has improved but there is the same issue with the clean channel. There is no volume on this channel until 9 oclock even with these new tubes. I can't say I am 100% sure that this was the case when i got it. Does anyone else have this problem or do you get volume below 9 oclock.

On channel 2 there isnt this issue and it is fine. Any ideas, is this normal, should I call up Mesa??

Hi gregv,

It won't hurt to give Mesa a call - I'm certainly interested to hear what they say - most of the F-series that I have tried have behaved slightly differently here, and although I'm pretty confident it's not usually a problem, I'm interested to know why! tongue.gif

Big smiles,

Andy.

Big smiles,

Andy.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tolling_bells

View Post

I actually just moved my pedals around and took a couple pedals out of the chain, and my tone is back like it was a few months ago. thumb.gif Imagine that.

Thanks for the reply, though smile.gif

Anyone know of any good cases for the f-30?

There's a lesson to be learnt in there somewhere! tongue.gif Glad you've got it sorted. thumb.gif

Big smiles,

Andy.

• Members

View Post

Hi eddie.perez,

I hope you don't mind me stepping in. tongue.gif What Neil/hal9000 was describing is called a "treble bleed capacitor". A quick Google search will swamp you with info. Here's a useful start: http://dominocs.com/AshBassGuitar/modtreble.html

Big smiles,

Andy.

Hey Andy,

I'm really going to have to try that out. I hope my soldering skills are good. Thanks again for your help.

Other than have you ever tried using a Decimator Pro Rack G with your amp. I'm planning on getting soon. The only problem is that Buck Waller from Isp Tech. told me that these Decimators work best with series fx loops. This leaves no choice but to convert my F-100 to series. I also hope this gets rid of that annoying helipcopter noise that most brothers complain about. In your honest opinion, Do you think converting the amp to series fx will have an impact in tonality do to some impendence mismatch that effects could have.

thumb.gif

EDDIE

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by eddie.perez

View Post

Hey Andy,

I'm really going to have to try that out. I hope my soldering skills are good. Thanks again for your help.

Other than have you ever tried using a Decimator Pro Rack G with your amp. I'm planning on getting soon. The only problem is that Buck Waller from Isp Tech. told me that these Decimators work best with series fx loops. This leaves no choice but to convert my F-100 to series. I also hope this gets rid of that annoying helipcopter noise that most brothers complain about. In your honest opinion, Do you think converting the amp to series fx will have an impact in tonality do to some impendence mismatch that effects could have.

thumb.gif

EDDIE

Hi Eddie,

There's no tonality worries to be concerned about with the series mod. The circuit diagram that I linked to earlier shows that when there is nothing plugged into the FX send and return jacks, then there is effectively a series connection in use internally by the amp. Basically, if you have no impedance worries with an Effect with the parallel loop, then you shouldn't have any impedance worries when you convert the loop to series. Both mods should be well within the reach of anyone with basic soldering experience. thumb.gif

Regarding the ISP unit, no, I've never tried one. I've never really got on with Noise Gates, although I've heard nothing but good things about the ISP products. Up until now, I've owned pretty well-behaved guitars, so I don't even use the gate in my G-Major, but that may have to change with my recent EJ strat purchase. tongue.gif

Big smiles,

Andy.

• Members

View Post

Hi miikku,

and welcome to HCAF and the F-series Lounge. What's your idea of a great metal rhythm or solo sound? I'm sure there are brothers here who can suggest some EQ settings. What guitar do you use, and where do you have the Master Volume set to when you play live? smile.gif

Big smiles,

Andy.

Hi Andy,

thanks for your answer.

I play esp ltd mh-1000 with EMGs, my master volume is set about to 12 o'clock when playing live. I have been playing in small places and sometimes it feels that it's too loud and all the other bandmembers has to rise up levels.

Here is some samples about the music I play, i hope someone could help me to found a livesound which is close to these.

Miikku

• Members

View Post

Hi Eddie,

There's no tonality worries to be concerned about with the series mod. The circuit diagram that I linked to earlier shows that when there is nothing plugged into the FX send and return jacks, then there is effectively a series connection in use internally by the amp. Basically, if you have no impedance worries with an Effect with the parallel loop, then you shouldn't have any impedance worries when you convert the loop to series. Both mods should be well within the reach of anyone with basic soldering experience. thumb.gif

Regarding the ISP unit, no, I've never tried one. I've never really got on with Noise Gates, although I've heard nothing but good things about the ISP products. Up until now, I've owned pretty well-behaved guitars, so I don't even use the gate in my G-Major, but that may have to change with my recent EJ strat purchase. tongue.gif

Big smiles,

Andy.

yeah I seen your EJ it looks simple but I bet it sounds like magic. I trip out on the fact that Eric likes to keep his tremolo springs open. He has this believe that covering up the tremolo springs will affect the tone. You got to let them breath in other words.

EDDIE.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi Inkila

View Post

Hey bros!

I made a new tone clip while I was tweaking the tone for our next album... here's the link for the thread http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...6#post25761586

I hope you like it smile.gif

Hello Tommi Inkila,

I know that probably been asked this question so many times, but I got to ask you again. What kind of tubes do you use. I really like the tone of your clips. They all sound good.

thumb.gif

EDDIE.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by twolfe278

View Post

I just bought a Tube Cube off ebay. It's green, 80 watts and can attenuate 4, 8, 16 ohms. It is only $94!!!!! Plugged it in, and was very satisfied. Now, i haven't heard the thd or marshall, but for price difference, i don't think i went wrong at all. Sounds great to my ears. look it up...the guy is great with communication.

T-Wolfe

Hey T-Wolfe - how is the Tube Cube working? Still happy?

• Members

Hey bros, just recorded a clip trying the f-50 with an EQ in the loop.

This is the result. (The first clip in the list)

http://www.soundclick.com/joeytpg

For reference, it's a BOSS EQ pedal, my fender strat with EMGs, recorded with my metric halo uln-2 unit, sm57 in logic 8.

By the way, no overdubs, no paning, no post EQ.

Drums with EZdrummer.

cheers.

• Members

View Post

Hi gregv,

It won't hurt to give Mesa a call - I'm certainly interested to hear what they say - most of the F-series that I have tried have behaved slightly differently here, and although I'm pretty confident it's not usually a problem, I'm interested to know why! tongue.gif

Big smiles,

Andy.

Big smiles,

Andy.

Hey guys,

so i called mesa today to ask them about it. They said it is pretty normal and that all amps will have varying degrees of volume taper. If it is a problem he said to send it in but very likely they will find nothing wrong with it. Of course the amp is meant to be played at higher levels and it does that just fine.

On a side note a cam across this attenuator on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

Its a THD hotplate, the 2 ohm variety. I noticed on the THD website they had 2,4,8 ohm etc. I am thinking about bidding on this item. It is an older version but the seller says it works great. I am not sur ethe difference b/w the different ohms in the hotplates. Any thoughts on this and would it do the job for getting the high volume tones for playing at home??

Thanks!

Archived