Mesa F-series Lounge. Come on in and share your secrets.

Dann'sTheMan

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hi Mick,

I love my TL. I've been using the Mesa's power stage with the TL going into the loop of the Mesa and placing a dummy plug in the FX send of the amp. However, just yesterday I switched it up a little because I hate to waste my amp's pre. So I plugged the TL into the amp's loop utilizing both the send and return, and I used it strickly for effects with all amp and cab sims off. I've found that when I do the first method, I need to turn the cab sims off for some tones, but it's all a matter of taste really. Either way, I'm still learning and love both elements.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Will Cyrier

View Post

Did you make the backing track yourself or purchase it from somewhere?

Hi Will,

I have two covers of the tune in my sig. The MIDI one was given to me by a keyboardist friend (I think it was on an old keyboard he owned), and I did the MIDI-to-audio conversion (picking instruments etc.).

The other one was sent to me by a friend on this forum (blackstratblues, if you recognise names) after I posted the first cover. It's a proper backing track, played by Robben's band (Roscoe Beck etc.) and was available on Line6's GuitarPort website. Let me know if you'd like me to send it to you (PM me your e-mail address), and I'll try and dig it out. cool.gif

Big smiles,

Andy.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Will Cyrier

View Post

Welcome to the brotherhood evilmeow. Where/how did you get the F-30?

Returned the X3 Live I bought last week, found this thing discounted down to $699 new, since it's discontinued now. Bought it with the sweet one year same as cash deal that GC has going on right now.

I'll make a recording of the Bach Toccata BWV 565 (From the Toccata and Fugue in d-minor) this week or next, since that's what I'm working on right now. It's always nice to have new clips, after all.

• Members

Do you guys also find your F's to be fluby in the low end, and lacking of note defenition in the 2nd channel?

Just for reference I have a F30 and my 2nd channel settings are:

Drive- 1h

Treble- 1h

Mids- 10:30h

Bass- 9h

Master- 9h (I know, it is suposed to be higher but I'm a bedroom player)

• Members

I'm thinking about buying an F50 combo that is used at a music store. I see that it has one external output to its 8ohm speaker. It also has 2 4 ohm jacks. I have a speaker cab 2x12 (8ohm speakers) which is wired in series-parallel so it is 4ohm. Can I unplug the 8ohm output to the mesa speaker and plug the cab into only one of the 4ohm speaker outputs? Or do both of the 4ohm outputs need to be used?

Thanks guys!

• Members

Ya I got confused when I read the following...

"When using two 8 Ohm speakers, connect each of them to the 4 Ohm

speaker jacks that are provided, this will equal a 4 Ohm load which is the proper impedance

required when using this particular speaker configuration."

Not sure if they are meaning wire the 8 ohm speakers in parallel and connect to one of the 4 ohm jacks or if they mean independantly connect each 8 ohm speaker to each of the 4 ohm speaker jacks. Maybe I'm not reading it properly. haha

Thanks for the response!

• Members

Thanks again for the response, the diagrams are awesome.

It does look like I can connect my 4ohm speaker cab to one of the 4ohm speaker jacks and leave nothing connected to the 8ohm and the other 4ohm and it is a safe configuration.

That would be speaker configuration number 2 in the manual?

• Members

I was thinking about putting new tubes in my F-50. I play classic rock some 80's metal country and a lot of blues. The amp it about 1 1/2 years old. so the originals tubes are still in her. If i get some new tubes does she need to be re bias? Thanks also what tube would you recommend and where are you guys buy you tubes local store or on line

Thanks again

• Members

Well guys, I'm extremely proud to say that I now own a F-50 combo!!!! thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

I traded my Gibson LP Studio for it. The amp is MINT, 11 months old and i've still got one month of warranty, came with footswitch, cover, manual

It's amazing!!!!!! BEAUTIFUL clean, it sounded great with my LP when i used the bright switch, very responsive, dynamic..

And the lead channel, holy god eek.gifeek.gif I simply can't understand how someone can possibly say that it can't do metal, i was riffing like crazy with the gain on 09:00 (o'clock) on the contour mode, amazing tight crunch, of course you got to have nice pickups/axe and a strong hand but don't blame the amp if you can't do it, raising the gain at around 12:00 was pretty enough for me to play leads. I thought that it actually sounded pretty good with the volume set at around "loud tv volume", meaning, i find the master volumes to be really good ... of course, it sounded better when the volume was at 09:00 biggrin.gif

The only problem is that i currently don't have a guitar cry.gif So i have to look at two mesa/boogies (other is the Studio.22+) in my room but can't play them rolleyes.gifcry.gifcry.gif

EDIT: I don't mean that you guys think it doesn't have enough gain, but on the reviews page a lot of guys said that it doesn't have enough gain

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by pedrozepelim

View Post

Do you guys also find your F's to be fluby in the low end, and lacking of note defenition in the 2nd channel?

Just for reference I have a F30 and my 2nd channel settings are:

Drive- 1h

Treble- 1h

Mids- 10:30h

Bass- 9h

Master- 9h (I know, it is suposed to be higher but I'm a bedroom player)

I don't find my F-100 to be flubby at all. It's not as tight as my Soldano Avenger or former VHT 50CL, but it's plenty tight for thrash IMO.

I generally run these settings:

Gain - 1:00

Treble - 9:00

Mid - 3:00

Bass - 9:00

Master - 10:30

Loop attenuated with either my G-Major or FX loop master mod. If I use the FX Mix pot to attenuate using the method in my sig, I generally set it for 2:00 and then adjust the front panel to my liking.

Guitars can also be the source of loose low end and so can technique.

Here are some clips with these settings and various guitars:

http://www.64graphics.com/clips/hal9...F-100_20th.mp3

http://www.64graphics.com/clips/What...l9000_Have.mp3

http://www.64graphics.com/clips/hal9...l_Rock_You.mp3 - Boosted with a Germania Treble Booster

http://www.64graphics.com/clips/hal9..._Heavy_USB.mp3

http://www.64graphics.com/clips/hal9..._War_F-100.mp3 - Boosted with a Germania Treble Booster

http://www.64graphics.com/clips/hal9..._way_F-100.mp3

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by opultaM

View Post

Hey Hal,

Would something like this work in the same way as your mod?

http://cgi.ebay.com/TUBE-AMP-VOLUME-...QQcmdZViewItem

It's basically like a volume pedal, but I can't vouch for it's build or quality of parts since I don't know what's inside. If you aren't using the loop, you can the FX Mix pot to do the same thing, but I know that works. Most guitarists have enough cables lying around to at least test the principle of the FX loop master.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DarthSquirrel

View Post

Thanks again for the response, the diagrams are awesome.

It does look like I can connect my 4ohm speaker cab to one of the 4ohm speaker jacks and leave nothing connected to the 8ohm and the other 4ohm and it is a safe configuration.

That would be speaker configuration number 2 in the manual?

You are correct. A single 4 Ohm speaker can go in either 4 Ohm jack.

Also:

1) A single 8 Ohm speaker should go in the 8 Ohm jack.

2) Two 8 Ohm speakers should each go into a 4 Ohm jack since 8 in parallel with 8 = 4 Ohms = the total impedance of the jacks.

Resistance in parallel = 1/(1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/Rn) or (R1*R2)/(R1+R2) if there are only two speakers. So, 1/(1/8 + 1/8) = 4 = (8*8)/(8+8)

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmot

View Post

Well guys, I'm extremely proud to say that I now own a F-50 combo!!!! thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

MrMot, welcome to the F-series Brotherhood! smile.gif

Check out some of the tricks/settings in my sig for my thoughts on the F-series.

My F-100 has as much gain as my Soldano Avenger and Mesa Tremoverb, so that's where the discussion ends. People will complain about anything, so take the reviews with a grain of salt. If it makes you feel any better, I've heard people complain that a 5150 doesn't have enough gain and that an AC-30 is too dark. I've even heard people say that the clean on the F-50 is passable at best (and most people know that's bologna).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by woodylong

View Post

I was thinking about putting new tubes in my F-50. I play classic rock some 80's metal country and a lot of blues. The amp it about 1 1/2 years old. so the originals tubes are still in her. If i get some new tubes does she need to be re bias? Thanks also what tube would you recommend and where are you guys buy you tubes local store or on line

Thanks again

You can either buy Mesa tubes (STR-430) for the 6L6s or get them from a reputable dealer that matches tubes for Mesa's power tube bias range. All Mesa's have a non-adjustable power tube bias from the factory, so they need to use tubes that work with Mesa's specified range. I've had good results with Mesa's stock tubes, but I switched over last time around to www.dougstubes.com. Doug is a good guy and outfitted me with an entire set pre and power tubes in Mesa's range for the cost of 4 6L6s from Mesa. Preamp tubes don't have to be biased, so you can use whatever you like.

Archived