Has anyone built/seen a cab with two 12" and two 10"?

David E H

• Members

I'm considering what I could build with what random speakers I have. I have two pairs of 12".(one pair is 8 ohms per speaker, the other pair is 16 ohms) I also have a pair of 10" at 8 ohms a piece. They're all about the same quality....the 12"s and 10"s come from old Wharfedales, and the other 12" come from a Hammond M101.

What type of cab should I put together for these? How would I go about making a 4x12 with speakers of different impedance? And if I make a cab with two 12" and two 10", would I mount the 10" on top of the 12"?

Perhaps I should just make two cabinets.....I'm just trying to see what I can put together.

Thanks.

• Members

I've seen cabs that had two 12's and two 10's. They put the 12's and 10's in opposite corners (12's in the top left and bottom right and 10's in the top right and bottom left). But Curt's right, they'll have to be of the same impedance.

• Members

Doesnt Gibson amps have the 2+2 design? I know fender has some with different combinations as well. You may want to partition the 12s from the 10s in the same cabinet. You dont have to stagger them in corners inless you want to. A cool design might be a slant cab type desigh with the 10s pointing up a bit.

• Members

Put all four of the 8 ohm speakers in one cab with series/parallel wiring & you have an 8ohm cab. Put the two 16's in a seperate cab paralleled & you have another 8ohm cab. Then your 8ohm head is happy with either cab. And if you have a 4 ohm option on the amp it will most likely have the speaker outs paralleled so, once again your amp head is happy running both. I like your "run watcha brung" philosophy.

• Members

Put all four of the 8 ohm speakers in one cab with series/parallel wiring & you have an 8ohm cab. Put the two 16's in a seperate cab paralleled & you have another 8ohm cab. Then your 8ohm head is happy with either cab. And if you have a 4 ohm option on the amp it will most likely have the speaker outs paralleled so, once again your amp head is happy running both. I like your "run watcha brung" philosophy.

I like that idea, and every amp I have besides my Super Reverb(which has great speakers already) is an 8 ohm amp.

• Members

You shouldn't have phasing issues. If anything you might have a wider spread of highs and lows with the different sized speakers.

Yeah, that's sorta what I'd like to see happen with it.

I realized, another crazy option I could do would be running the two 16 ohms in parallel, with three other 8 ohm speakers to have a cab with 5 speakers....haha

• Moderators

You shouldn't have phasing issues. If anything you might have a wider spread of highs and lows with the different sized speakers.

Might. Not necessarily. If one set already has a wide, flat response, the second set would almost unavoidably make that worse. However, the resulting sound might be preferable. It all depends on one's taste.

• Members

I'm running a cab that has 2 12" CTS & 2 8" Grundig speakers. All 8 ohm. Sound has a full spectrum. And this was a "use what I have" cab. Had a piece of some good 3/4" birch ply and some time to kill. I ran the speakers in roughly the same configuration as described so I could fit them in. Never know until you try.

Archived