arthritis

acid tester

• Members

All of you have posted a bunch of good things to take. I take glucosamine sulfate every day and Advil or aleve every now and then. I'm 39 with arthritus in my back, right hand and left knee. I know this old indian woman who lives near here and she says to get out in the sunlight. She's not really a witch doctor just a smart old woman. She says that you body produces "endocrines"(sp) that helps you control pain and more of them are produced when you are exposed to sunlight. Maybe that is why arthritus seems to always hurt more when it is rainy.

• Members

woody b

that information about sunlight makes sense. In the paciftc NW where I grew up, people used to move south to deal with arthritis--it seemed to help--no doubt because of the sun you mentioned.

Anyway, having a good reason to laze about in the sun playing guitar sounds great to me! I'll definitely go for that!! Sorry to hear about your arthritis at such a young age. Hope it gets better and the stuff you take for it works. :)

• 11 years later...
  • Members

Yeeah growing old does suck , but its still better than the alternative .

when my hands bother me sometimes i soak them in Hot water .

My doctor told me that i should use them more , and that playing the guitar is actually good -keep them moving

Tylenol does help a bit, aspirn as well -

I also doing finger stretches -

• Members

Old post but seems just like yesterday. Let's see, I'd just sold my company in Miami, FL, and bought a new home in Shelbyville, KY, where I moved to help a friend rebuild his business. Not much of a winter as I recall. My kids, new to the snow belt, were pretty disappointed. They expected sleigh rides, snow forts, white Christmases, etc. Bummed them out. I had just discovered HC and it was a busy place. Didn't join until the following year when I got inspired to pick up the guitar again after 29 years. Little Brother was the mod, then Derivicus and then we got some ghost who couldn't be bothered. I bought a guitar from a local M&P. I don't remember the brand. Might have been a Sigma. Then I bought a run of them searching for something I wasn't finding. Then I got some kind of ailment in my elbows, similar to what Tony Rice has now, and spent about 8 weeks using dumbbells to nurse them back. The bells worked great. Both elbows screamed like a couple banshees at a fudge packers convention but I got through it. No drugs. Not even once.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Here's what I did: bought a squareneck resonator guitar. Been learning to play it - I'm on my second now and hope to get one or two more. I just pick a song I already know and work on it on the dobro until it sounds like something. Sounds way cool and is much easier on the ol' finger-dingers.

And don't let the bluegrassers kid you - you can rock on dobro. Frinstance, check this out:

Archived