Originally posted by marcellis

I play an Ovation. 1988 Elite.

I love it.

The way your guitar was amplified,

it had that Ovation sound.

It wasn't an insult.

I'd be insulting myself if I insulted someone

for playing an Ovation.

I'm sorry, I HATE Ovations with a passion. (They do not qualify as acoustic guitars in my book.)

Now I've got to destroy ALL my recordings! :(

And burn my guitar! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Seriously marcellis - the guitar in question is a Washburn SBF24N - a solid body electrocoustic. To this date none of my decent acoustics have any pickups on them at all. As I said above this is about to be remedied, maybe even get a microphone or two.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey maybe a guy could hook up those new synths to one of those "Liberator" keyboards that you strap on like a guitar so you can stand up in front of the audience....Then you could sound just like a guy with a guitar standing up and playing in front of an audience. Just look different.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarcapo

Hey maybe a guy could hook up those new synths to one of those "Liberator" keyboards that you strap on like a guitar so you can stand up in front of the audience....Then you could sound just like a guy with a guitar standing up and playing in front of an audience. Just look different.

LOL! Didn't Jan Hammer and Herbie Hancock do that in the 1980s? ;)

Point is: it's been done before and like all fads this will just be a flash in the pan.

• Members
Originally posted by guitarcapo

I remember being in guitar store years ago playing around with a guitar synth - managed to get it to sound just like a harmonica. Pretty cool I thought, then a guy standing next to me says "Why would I want to pay $6,000 to get my guitar to sound like a $20 harmonica". NO SALE! :D

• Members
Originally posted by FingerBone Bill

I remember being in guitar store years ago playing around with a guitar synth - managed to get it to sound just like a harmonica. Pretty cool I thought, then a guy standing next to me says "Why would I want to pay $6,000 to get my guitar to sound like a $20 harmonica". NO SALE!
:D

:cool:

• Members
Originally posted by FingerBone Bill

An analogy:

If we can liken Recorded Music (CD's Vinyl etc.) to television or cinema and

playing a
real
instrument to real life then it follows that

Synthesizers are the musical equivalent to Video Games. - requiring user input and always getting closer to reality without ever getting there. Fun to play with but never a replacement for reality.

yea, cause while spraying bullets at cops in Vice City is entertaining, nothing beats the real thing :D

• Members

Synth guitars are interesting if you are onstage and have to travel light. Wedding bands come to mind.

Take on to the beach or hiking and they don't sound so good. I'm trying ti imagine sitting on the hood of my car, playing a song for some girl I'm trying to woo... and worrying about amp settings an guitar patches.

Archived