Acoustic Guitarists - Our Days Are Numbered

Etienne Rambert

• Members

Hmmm...................

I think synths have come a long way, and have a long way to go. I think they have tried very hard to simulate pianos and violins - tried much harder on those sounds than guitars - and I have yet to find one that tricks my ears. They will get better and better as time goes by but I don't think they will every get it right. It's kinda like TV: no matter how good and expensive they are, you still know it's TV and not real. Right? :rolleyes:

P.S. - I was a piano major in college, owned a piano store and I'm a snob when it comes to acoustic instruments.:D

Don't worry about it..................

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well CRAP! I knew this guitar thing wouldn't last! Man what a short 130 years its been. I'm sad to see it go.:(

After reading this thread, I've come to the conclusion that I must sell all my acoustics, and fast.

I've already called the local music store to sign up for synth lessons and warned them of the sudden influx of thousands surely to come. I've called my hairstylist and ask her if she remembered the "Flock of Seagulls" hair cut. I'm letting it grow now. I've called the courthouse and ask about changing my name to Poindexter.
(Remember revenge of the nerds; those guys could rock.)

I hope I can at least get one of those guitar shaped synths. I want to look like a real musician anyway!

Oh, I just remembered, I can still moonwalk!! That's gotta come in handy when I windmill (think Pete Townsend) that one finger C chord on my new Guitar shaped synth. :D

Yea, things are a changin'. Now, wheres my green hair dye?

Scott

• Members

As a pro-keyboardist (I own a Yamaha S90 keyboard which contains all of the Motif voices)..........there is little if any practical comparrison between the ability of an acoustic vs. a synth.

Sure, the Motif sounds are wonderful......however; you can't phrase or articulate with the synth keyboard as you can with a real acoustic.

If you think about how many variables there actually are when performing on an acoustic (dynamics, phrasing, sustain, mute, etc.).......there wouldn't be enough memory in one synth to really duplicate all the various playing technique applications.......let alone all the variations of tone! ;)

I will most likely sell my S90 synth within the next few years........as the technology will constantly change.......

I won't be trading my Martin or Taylor though.......;)

.........not unless the right SC comes along...:rolleyes:

• Members

I'll cheat and use a song quote to express my feelings on the subject:

"People will drive by and offer you a ride,
just say 'Thank you, I like to wade.'
Because the water is cool on your ankles
And it's beautiful in the sun
And this river has been here for ten thousand years
And that highway's been here one."
--"Charlie's Cabin", Storyhill, 1996

• Members

I'd wanted a Fantom for my next instrument.

Now - it's the Motif ES.

To me - the strum from the Major to the Maj/Sus

was amazing.

Others aren't that impressed. One day, they'll

be impressed with acoustic guitars sounds on

a synth. They only get better.

Or I shouldn't say that. Synth string pads in

my view got worse after they left 8 bit.

Can't beat an old D-50 or an old K-1 for

string pads.

I thought about buying my friend's Taylor.

But after hearing the Motif ES-that's gotta be it.

I'll make do with my Guild/Ovation & Yamaha APX6Na

for a few more years. And I'll forego the Fantom for now.

• Members

Originally posted by marcellis

People have preferred synth pianos to real pianos for years. I have an old piano that doesn't sound nearly as good as the piano on the Motif ES.

Most people I know who have digital pianos have them because they have neither the space nor the money for the acoustic piano they want. If electric guitars haven't replaced acoustic guitars, why would you think a synth would? Is a synth any easier to take camping?

• Members

bullpencoach If electric guitars haven't replaced acoustic guitars, why would you think a synth would? Is a synth any easier to take camping?

----

Actually, yes. A small battery-powered controller like the Novation ReMote or the M-Audio Ion and a notebook computer are a lot more portable than an acoustic guitar. Even if you bring along a small external battery-powered sound module all three are more portable than an acoustic guitar. I've never gone camping with any of my acoustics.

I played bass professionally for a long time. My synths have replaced my electric bass. I play all my bass parts on synth now. Synth bass patches sound better. My electric bass has one sound with a few variations. My XG patch set has maybe 12-15 different bass sounds.

Until the Motif ES - synth acoustic guitar strums patches were unusable for acoustic guitar strum sounds. They were a joke. The Motif ES is kind of a milestone. Even if your ears are not convinced now, one day, they might be fooled.

----

• Members

bullpencoach
If electric guitars haven't replaced acoustic guitars, why would you think a synth would? Is a synth any easier to take camping?

----

Actually, yes. A small battery-powered controller like the Novation ReMote or the M-Audio Ion and a laptop module are a lot more portable than an acoustic guitar. I've never gone camping with any of my acoustics.

I played bass professionally for a long time. My synths have replaced my electric bass. I play all my bass parts on synth now. Synth bass patches sound better. My electric bass has one sound with a few variations. My XG patch set has maybe 12-15 different bass sounds.

Until the Motif ES - synth acoustic guitar strums patches were unusable for acoustic guitar strum sounds. They were a joke. The Motif ES is kind of a milestone. Even if your ears are not convinced now, one day, they might be fooled.

----

You're preaching to the wrong crowd synth boy - try Guitar Jam.:rolleyes:

• Members

fingerbone: You're preaching to the wrong crowd synth boy - try Guitar Jam

"Synthboy?"

Here I am fingerpicking an acoustic guitar.

I've done it for 28 years.

Click on the song,

"Angelique"

This is a fingerpicking duet I'm playing with the best guitarist in Louisiana - Scott Goudeau. I fingerpick my old Guild. Scott fingerpicks my old Ovation. I play all the synth & percussion parts.

Anything you hear that is not acoustic guitar - I play on synths. Fiddle, accordion, inter alia.

It's an original song. I haven't found someone to sing it yet.

I could be an atavistic Luddite if I wanted.

But why stand still? I want to compose good music.

To do that, I use every tool at my disposal - including synths.

What serious composer wouldn't?

• Members

"Synthboy?"

Heh heh - found a nerve! :D

Here I am fingerpicking an acoustic guitar.

I've done it for 28 years.

Click on the song,

"Angelique"

That style would probably work well on a synth. :(

I could be an atavistic Luddite if I wanted.

But why stand still? I want to compose good music.

To do that, I use every tool at my disposal - including synths.

What serious composer wouldn't?

Each to his own, I'm happy to be labelled an atavistic Luddite. I'll wear it with pride!

Good topic though marcellis.

• Members

I listened to your songs fingerbone. I couldn't get "Beachcomber" to open. No offense - but they're more electric than my "Angelique". The guitars on "Angelique" are actually acoustic guitars mic'd - not amplified.

Are you playing an Ovation?

I still compose purely acoustic guitar pieces.

I use synths for orchestration.

"PFC Frank Vallone & So Have I" are original

acoustic guitar songs with vocals.

"La Mujer" & "Watermelon Time" are acoustic

finger-picking solos by my musical partner,

Peter Streit of Dallas Texas. He's excellent.

I think he's playing a Collings & a Taylor.

He also has a big blonde Guild J-??? from

the early 70's when he & I were a fingerpicking duet

playing in clubs & coffee houses.

If you can't afford to hire an orchestra at union scale,

128 part multi-timbral synths are a low-budget substitute

that sounds pretty good.

Can't beat synths for orchestration.

Two songs are kind of interesting though.

"Lost Youth"--Peter & I played all the electric guitars on synths. That was mid-1990's. They sound better than real electrics would have in that song. Peter's piano playing on that song is fantastic too.

"Ketu" , I kind of like. I played acoustic high-string

(Nashville tuning) on my old Guild. But it's heavily

orchestrated & lots of synths. Still, the heart of it

is that acoustic high-string part.

• Members

I listened to your songs fingerbone. I couldn't get "Beachcomber" to open. No offense - but they're more electric than my "Angelique". The guitars on "Angelique" are actually acoustic guitars mic'd - not amplified.

Not ashamed to admit I play electric & due to limitations in my recording setup thats mainly the style I record. That's about to change real soon.

Are you playing an Ovation?

:mad:

Archived