New Bowling Ball

Belva

• Members

th_bowlingball001.jpg

th_bowlingball002.jpg

th_bowlingball003.jpg

Many here remember when I converted a trem body to hardtail and came up with a wild paint job that I named Brunzwik, a.k.a the bowling ball. I was gonna route it back out, but this was found @ my fave music store today. It was damn cheap. I can't see doing the work on the hardtail as it would cost quite a bit more for the templates than I paid for this. It had a few dings on the back which I got out with my high tech redneck steaming tool seen in pic #3. IDK what the wood is but I'm guessing paulownia. Weight is 3lbs, 6oz. and it doesn't leave a mark when the thumbnail test is done like basswood does. I have all of the parts needed to make a good guitar. So the fun begins again. I need another guitar like I need a hole in my head, but who cares?

• Members

Just missing the whammy?

have you considered looking around for a fully surface mount trem like the old washburn wonderbar system or a bigsby or something? (I'm thinking Bigsby might not be your thing though)

or a Kahler, those don't take a whole bunch of routing they they are pretty forgiving as it's more just clearance for the block than really aligning stuff.

just another option if you want to keep the guitar together, but are just missing going meeeeeeoooowwwwwwwww

• Members

I decided to do a whammy because I'm not happy with the fill job on the last one. As far as wood, this is a 3 pc and I don't think it's ash as the weight is less than 3.5 lbs. And I'll be doing a base layer of white with 3 different colors of blue lacquer with a paint sponge. And clear over that, naturally.

• Members

I'm not really a sunburst fan. I do want to do a sunburst guitar and I have a customer that wants a sunburst done on a body he made. Maybe I should use this for practice and then finish it the way I want. After all, this was so cheap a good airplane mech can make more in one hour than I paid for this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

bowlingball004.jpg

bowlingball005.jpg

Progress is slow as I'm working 6 days a week. But the bridge & neck holes are drilled and the grain filling is done (after mucho sanding).

I'll start sand & seal tonite. Should have that done and be ready for primer by Tues or Wed.

• Members

looking good. i think it might be agathis you have, not paulownia. the top of my bc rich looked just like that when i took the finish off.

Weight similar, as in somewhat light? Also it took a lot of grain filler before it was happy, similar to what swamp ash supposedly does.

• Members

dude, i hate to be the one to point this out, but you got some on the wall.

Wrong. Those are doors!

bowlingball007.jpg

That's my painting spot. Behind them is storage. Closing the doors makes sure I don't mess up family heirlooms. The 1st pic is primer. This one is the base color. I have 2 more blues that I'll dab on when I'm done with the base coat.

• Members

Laying it on thin with rattle cans?

Yes. I go so light it takes 3 coats before I have it all one color. I'll do about 9 of those before I move on. I do like this metallic color. The next 2 blues will be just highlights.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived