Dreadnaughts vs. 000 models?

KATMAN

• Members

Dreadnaught vs. 000

I'm gassing hard for a Blueridge BR-183 000 model guitar. I've been loking at acoustics for about a month now. I've played a lot of dreaught guitars,but lately I've come to like the loooks as well as the sound of a 000,which is smaller and slimmer. Anyway,what do you like?

• Members

I prefer the 000 for the reasons you listed. I love the sound and playability of 000's. The only detraction is volume, but oh well, there are more important things than being loud...

• Members

Originally posted by kwakatak

.......Dreads are great and all for strumming, but I find them to be too big and boomy for any sort of delicate picking.

Some dreads are boomy, some are not. Mine works fine for whatever style I want.

• Members

Originally posted by JasmineTea

]I need both.

So do I. In one of those hypotheticals where you put a gun to my head and I have to choose one or the other, I'd lie and choose the dread just to keep you from shooting, but I'd cheat. And somewhere down the road I'd three-time you and throw in a jumbo, too.

• Members

Originally posted by riffmeister

Some dreads are boomy, some are not. Mine works fine for whatever style I want.

Same here, but I find that my style is changing to primarily fingerstyle and smaller guitars work better for me there. My primary acoustic is a dread and I find that I have to reign in the bass by muting the lower strings. The bulky body makes it hard to get a good right hand technique - I have to play it in a quasi-classical pose.

• Members

I played two Martins recently, OM-35 and a OM-21, and either could've passed for a dread.

I'd agree totally about the OM-21. Also, not sure about this but I believe Clapton recorded his "Unplugged" album with an OM-28. Whatever it was, that thing sounded frickin' HUGE. I recently tried out an 000-18 that sounded like absolute dead crap... Likely just a dud, since it's the only one I've ever played.

Re. comfort based on size, for me as long as the neck dimensions remain constant, after about two minutes of playing I'm totally acclimated to the guitar's body size. Dread/OOO/Jumbo, doesn't matter at all in terms of comfort. I've never played a slope-shoulder model and they LOOK awkward... I also hold my guitars the "wrong" way - even the classical - and can't imagine not leaning way the hell over to my left with a slope-shoulder on my lap... But like I said, I've never held one, so that may not be the case.

• Members

Originally posted by UGB

to me, the dreadnought is the most uncomfortable guitar to hold and play either sitting down or standing up.

LOL - I've found that the best way to play a dread standing up is to have the strap tied at the headstock, pulled up to chest level like a pair of old-man pants and the neck angled at my 10 o'clock position. It sounds uncomfortab;e, but that's the only way I can get a good wrist position along the entire neck.

As for big-sounding OMs, I'm sensing that folks seem to find rosewood OMs to be the most pleasing.

• Members

Originally posted by kwakatak

.......The bulky body makes it hard to get a good right hand technique - I have to play it in a quasi-classical pose.

That's amusing.........being a classical guitarist, I always thought that the right hand position of a classical guitarist (bent wrist) is what enables one to acheive good right hand technique, LOL! :)

P.S. I have no problems playing my dread sitting on the couch with the guitar slung over the right knee (the "wrong" knee from a classical guitarists point of view). The OM certainly is abit more comfy, though.

• Members

I love me a dread... i've owned 5 acoustic guitars, have three of them right now... all dreads... there are probably more comfortable guitars out there... but i've adapted and don't feel like i could play an OM or 000 any easier or for longer than i can play my dreads. as an almost pure strummer, i gotta have that deep end and midrange thumpm right there.

• Members

Haveing trouble with your keyboard?

LOL! My brain is faster than my fingers! The Taylor 214 is looking pretty good,a small auditorium model,you get both in one guitar!

• Members

Originally posted by Tioga_Man

I always play with a strap. And that up-on-the-chest position is my favorite. But I have to be in the mood to be that ...intimate... with my guitar. (old man pants? )

You know - high up over the waist and kind of sitting up on the belly. :p

• Members

Until recently, I would have said Dread. However, in the past six months or so, I have acquired a parlor guitar and a 000 guitar. Now, I have two dreads that sound quite nice to my ear, but they dont get played nearly as much as the parlor and the 000 purely from the standpoint that the dreads now seem too large and uncomfortable to play (and enjoy as much as the smaller guitars).

Pete

• Members

My first acoustic was a dread. I've been partial towards dreads every since then. I agree that they may be uncomfortable to play for some people (especially for little people). I am very comfortable playing mine. I mainly use the left knee position.

The dread has the most versitile sound. It can be booming loud or nice a quiet. The dread allows the guitarist to fully use all picking dynamics. I would never consider using anything else.

• Members

IMO, on the comfort thing; the tight waist of a jumbo or a 000 enables me to embrace her in a different way than with a dread. The curve of the side keeps the guitar from moveing, stays put on my knee, whereas dreads and slopes can slide around.

• Members

What I do, I take the strings off the guitar. That way, there's no reason to move at all so the instrument won't shift around or anything and the body shape/size of the guitar itself becomes irrelevant. The sound has a sort of airy, mellow quality without much volume. What's really cool about this method is that you can make a really cheap guitar sound just like a really expensive one. I experimented recently in a GC by removing all the strings from an HD-28 and A/B'ing it with an old toaster I brought with me. The tonal quality was eerily similar except I may have to give a slight nod to the Martin for sustain.

Archived