What kind of guitar is this?

jazzbo

• Members
:cool:

Looks like you are right!

Thank you. A local TV channel shows this Jill Sobule concert every so often and she plays it and it sounds pretty good.

For those that have been asking about a good guitar for girls, maybe this one.

• Members

I saw one of these up close at a local club a few months back. It's a travel guitar with solid spruce top/laminated birch back & sides and a pickup installed. It was used by a local singer/songwriter in a full-band setting and still came through the mix pretty good.

Here are the specs:

http://www.stringsmith.com/Vagabond/Orders/CCOrderFrm.htm

• Members

Originally posted by strummilo

It also appears that she may be doing something amazing; Playing a travel guitar without a strap!

There's a strap on it. If you look closely, you can see it one end of it running up under her right arm, and the other end going to the headstock.

• Members
Originally posted by jazzbo

It's not that hard if you are playing fingerstyle because your hand stays in the same position, but if you are strumming with a pick it's a little harder.

I don't know how you play fingerstyle, but my right hand changes position quite frequently, as do the hands of most fingerstyle players.

We employ a host of techniques that require movement of the entire hand, from switching between strumming and plucking, to artificial harmonics and taps, to percussive effects and more. ;)

In fact, I find flatpicking (when necessary, I don't deliberately go out to play standing up with no strap) a lot easier because my hand and arm do tend to stay in one position.

It's a lot harder to flex your arm to hold an instrument and then move your fingers individually then to do the same but only swing your wrist.

Just my $.02.

• Members
Originally posted by fantasticsound

I don't know how you play fingerstyle, but my right hand changes position quite frequently, as do the hands of most fingerstyle players.

I just don't have a problem with it.

Plucking or strumming, my hand stays in postion.

I'm not tapping harmonics on the neck a la Kaki King.

Somtimes I tap the soundboard, but it's not a problem.

My hand stays fixed mostly - I have my pinky touching the soundboard and 1 finger each for the top three strings, thumb for the bottom three.

Strum with thumb or back of my fingers.

I actually prefer playing my acoustic without a strap.

:o:)

Archived