What's The Clearest Sounding Guitar You Have Ever Played?

Promethius

• Members
  • Members

Originally posted by riffmeister

wow! we are on the same wavelength!

I played a sitka/maple Lowden F recently. It was an ear opener! Best fingerstyle guitar I have laid my hands on.

A freind of mine has one like the one I posted, I play it about once a week. The response, clarity, is amazing. It's well balanced too. Does'nt have the bass of a dread, but it's not missing any bass either.

Personaly, I like something a little darker, warmer, but that Lowden blows my mind every time I play it.

• Members

Honestly, the purest steel STRING tone I've heard is a that of a steel-bodied National-Resophonic tricone (played at the position where a neck pup would be, as on an archtop electric). I went shopping for several months for "the tone", willing to pay Goodall/Santa Cruz/Lowden/Collings territory (those being what was left after I had "done the tour" of acoustics). It was a fluke that I picked up the tricone and played it for jazz and chord melody/fingerstyle---when I hit the sweet spot, I couldn't get past it.

Granted, it's NOT a "woody" tone (w/ all the variations based on combinations of tonewoods and/or construction technique/theory), but it IS a most remarkable full, rich, STRING(s) tone.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarcapo

"clear"? WTF does that mean?

If it means a strong fundamental lacking any overtones I would say you'd probably be talking a small mahogany topped guitar.

"Clear" is a word that conjures up a different image in everyones mind. Kinda like all the other descriptive words we toss around here.

That Lowden I posted was the first thing that came to mind. It's a fairly sizable guitar with a cedar top. I believe cedar is a bit stiffer than spruce. I hear more fudamental in it than in any other guitar I've played.

• Members

Originally posted by Promethius

I love clear acoustic sounds. I hate muddy guitars no matter how "rich" some people say they are. What wins?

:confused:

Bozo Bell Western 6 and 12 string model, his Archtops are just incredible too. No jazz box I've ever played put out as much acoustic volume as his do. The pics don't do justice to the arch he hand carves into those spruce tops either. I played the 40th anniversary archtop in the pics on the site, ohhh to have an extra $22,000 laying around.

http://guitars.net/bozoarchtop.htm

• Members

Originally posted by JasmineTea

"Clear" is a word that conjures up a different image in everyones mind. Kinda like all the other descriptive words we toss around here.

That Lowden I posted was the first thing that came to mind. It's a fairly sizable guitar with a cedar top. I believe cedar is a bit stiffer than spruce. I hear more fudamental in it than in any other guitar I've played.

JT is right as always. Is clear=cold and muddy=warm? Is clear=quality and muddy=a lemon? Either way, a thin top and a hard species of tonewood for the body and you can't go wrong.

Red spruce and maple would tear holes in my eardrums, but that's about as bright you can go without changing the bracing or what ever.

Btw: Clearity has a great deal to do with choice of strings as well, you know.

• Members

You guys over-analyze. Let me join the club and say that the great German philospher Hegel might say that there is an a priori, intuitive understanding of what "clear" means--both visually and orally.

When you look out on the sea and can see boats in the distance one day but not the next day, wouldn't you understand this to mean it was "clearer" the day before? And wouldn't you not need a thesaurus to define what you meant by "clear"?

Doesn't "clear" react on our eardrums in a similar way as it does our eyeballs? :confused:

Archived