Your Source For Replacement Parts.

ggm1960

• Members

I've recently started fixing amps as a side business and it didn't take long to run into the problem of finding certain replacement parts. Right now I'm trying to repair a small Epiphone solid state bass amp and discovered that the power transformer primary winding is open. It's a two wire primary with a three wire center tapped secondary with the markings SKT 14801 U followed by TW 633.

Anyone have a good source for finding these types of parts?

• Members

You need to get the schematic and see what kinds of voltages its outputting. Finding an exact replacement may be possible. You can maybe check with epiphone. Finding a generic replacement for a solid state amp may be a bit harder. Common tube amp transformers are fairly easy. Transistor, not so much. If you know what voltages its supposed to put out and taps and all, then you can scout the different manufacturers to find what you need.

If I saw the schematic I can make a pretty good guess on what should work. Bass amps draw alot of current so the secondary windings are going to be fairly hefty which is a big concern. a 100W amp will need twice the current capacity of a 50w head because its providing current for twice as many power transistors for example.

Post the amp model and maybe I can help dig for the info you need. Numbers on a transformer is very difficult to trace on the net. Transformeres have manufacture specific info stamped on them and many/most are made in the orient. Tracking down an oem replacement can be tough unless you narrow down the specs, and you get those specs from the schematic. If you cant find a free schematic, you may need to get it from Epiphone or pay a scalper a few bucks to download a copy.

The way I would handel it though is contact an authorised Epiphone service center, give them the make and model, tell them you want the part number for the transformer and order a new one. Most companies run some kind of technical support and parts department. You just need to get through to the right people in their service department. I work for a major manufacturer canon. You cannot buy their parts for any of their products through any other source but them. They dont make detailed schematics of any circuitry available, even to their own technicians. Parts can only be purchased through the company and the part numbers on the parts are meaningless to hackers. This is all done to protect their product and prevent amatures from attempting to repair their equipemt. This maintains their reputation and keeps the hacks out of the business. Its the oriental model for most electronic prtoducts now and most companies follow the same stratogy especially since the internet was developed. It was about 1990 when pro manufacturers started removing schematics from manuals. Consumer stuff took awhile longer. What you can download is usually older stuff thats been out there a long time and is pretty much public domain now. New products, its near impossible to find an online source.

• Members

Thanks for some good info guys.

I told him this morning what was wrong and that the replacement cost would be $30 minimum. This is an older, small wattage practice amp. My place was the last stop before the dumpster so the amp is now mine. The transformer is probably something like a 24VCT but I will go ahead and attempt to find a schematic although I don't intend to sink much into this either.

For now I'm moving on to a Line 6 amp the same guy also brought over.

Archived