Acoustic Recommendation for my son

hammergjh

• Members

He's 11, going on 12 in January.

So...

I picked up a really {censored}ty 3/4 size elec. guitar for his B'Day 3 years ago. I didn't know any better at the time. I tried teaching him some chords and stuff and he wasn't really into it. So last fall we finally convinced him to take some lessons. He did okay. He wasn't into practising, but he really liked his lessons. Our teacher, at the time, is just a great guy w/ a lot of music in his head, so lessons were fun. Anyway, the guitar started to become a detriment. It just sounded pretty bad. I didn't want him to use my Seagull, 'cause he's a kid, and he might {censored} it up. So I went out and picked up a...Gibson! Yeah, I couldn't find a decent cheapie for him to use. So he stated getting into it again w/ my Gibson. Yeah, I know...

Well this summer we both stopped playing, family situation.

I found out the other day that he's been using my acoustic and practicing on his own during the week after school! I'm psyched! He prefers my Seagull Dreadnaught to the ES-333! Well, I thought for Xmas, Channukah or his B'day I'd get him a decent smaller acoustic to use. My dread is a little big for him.

Anyway, this is a little long, but what do you guys think?

• Members

I can hear it now "well honey, you know he really does need his own guitar, but all I could find was this Gibson". Oh yeah. Bet your wife didn't buy that for a second.:D

Taylor Big Baby. Really nice small guitar, about $400 at MF. Also, there have been several threads on just this subject, so there have been numerous recommendations. Check it out.

I know you want to get this for him as a present, which I assume means a surprise. But it might be really cool and a lot of fun for both of you if you take him shopping with you. Let him try stuff on and see what appeals to him (with some guidance from you of course). Just a thought.

• Members

Originally posted by da mayor

I can hear it now "well honey, you know he really does need his own guitar, but all I could find was this Gibson". Oh yeah. Bet your wife didn't buy that for a second.
:D

Taylor Big Baby. Really nice small guitar, about $400 at MF. Also, there have been several threads on just this subject, so there have been numerous recommendations. Check it out.

I know you want to get this for him as a present, which I assume means a surprise. But it might be really cool and a lot of fun for both of you if you take him shopping with you. Let him try stuff on and see what appeals to him (with some guidance from you of course). Just a thought.

Oh man, did I get in trouble that day. Yeah, she was pissed. But my guitar teacher was psyched! He's a classic guitar guy, and the 333 was something he could really dig.

Taylor Big Baby, cool.

• Members

Originally posted by JasmineTea

Give him YOUR seagul, the one he digs, and go out and get yourself a new guitar.

I started playing a full size dread when I was 8.

Even with a couple of brews in hm, the man makes sense! :thu:

Start shopping for a new guitar for yourself. Kids are only supposed to get hand-me-downs anyway. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by kwakatak

Even with a couple of brews in hm, the man makes sense!
:thu:

Start shopping for a new guitar for yourself. Kids are only supposed to get hand-me-downs anyway.
;)

There ya go!

I like that idea! Let's see if I can get the ol' wife approval.

• Members

I'm a fan of the Baby and Big Baby Taylor.....

However , in lieu of price, just started my 6 yr old out on the Jay, Jr by Turser and it plays well, stays in tune, and was only $79. I even took it on a camping trip (as a travel guitar) and I was surprised at its abilities for a late night jam around the fire.... had a little different timber from the other guitars, too.

• Members

Originally posted by Dugar

I'm a fan of the Baby and Big Baby Taylor.....

However , in lieu of price, just started my 6 yr old out on the Jay, Jr by Turser and it plays well, stays in tune, and was only $79. I even took it on a camping trip (as a travel guitar) and I was surprised at its abilities for a late night jam around the fire.... had a little different timber from the other guitars, too.

Honestly I think he deserves something better than that. I made the mistake of buying him a {censored}ty starter guitar. I'd like to get him something that'll last for a good long time.

• Members

Honestly I think he deserves something better than that. I made the mistake of buying him a {censored}ty starter guitar. I'd like to get him something that'll last for a good long time.

+1 on that. Get something he'll love and want to play all the time, not something he'll hate as soon as he realizes it's junk. And, at his age, he'll realize that pretty quickly.

• Members

I'd have to think a dread is about to swallow him whole.

The Seagull or Art & Lutherie Folk models are good. The A&L has a thinner neck profile, which may be bette for him now, than the Seagull. Any good, OOO sized guitar will be great like the Blueridge BR-43 or BR-63 or even a model or two up from that. I really like the Walden Grand Auditorium models too. Not as big as a dreadnought but can hold their own in a jam with a dread. The Walden G730 should be in your price range and it features a solid cedar top and a solid rosewood back with a hardshell case.

The truth is, there's LOTS to choose from in this price range. He's lucky you're willing to spend some on him. But even though some models like the Art & Lutheries and some Blueridges are less, don't think that you're slighting him. You can get a better guitar for less money today than you could 3 years ago.:)

• Members

Originally posted by UGB

I'd have to think a dread is about to swallow him whole.

The Seagull or Art & Lutherie Folk models are good. The A&L has a thinner neck profile, which may be bette for him now, than the Seagull. Any good, OOO sized guitar will be great like the Blueridge BR-43 or BR-63 or even a model or two up from that. I really like the Walden Grand Auditorium models too. Not as big as a dreadnought but can hold their own in a jam with a dread. The Walden G730 should be in your price range and it features a solid cedar top and a solid rosewood back with a hardshell case.

The truth is, there's LOTS to choose from in this price range. He's lucky you're willing to spend some on him. But even though some models like the Art & Lutheries and some Blueridges are less, don't think that you're slighting him. You can get a better guitar for less money today than you could 3 years ago.
:)

Thank you sir! There's some damn fine advice.

• Members

I learnt to play on a {censored}ty $89 AUS Ashton acoustic crapbox. IT got me through... barely. I just recently got a Garrison G-20CE and the difference is incredible. So much more fun to play. A {censored}ty guitar will turn your kid off, get him a good one and he will play for longer and you'll get more out fo it. Then, even if he gives it up, you've got a new guitar :p (By the way I'm 15 if that has any bearing on this)

Archived