Volume pots won't shut off.

• Members

I recently wired up a guitar with a pair of Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates. Both pick ups will turn down, but not off. I double checked the wiring with the Schatten diagram book I always use and everything looks correct. The wiring is typical LP with a 3-way switch. Do I have bad volume pots?

• Members

How low does the volume go? Have you tried blasting them with De Oxit? Original pots I presume. Depending on what brand the pots are I always recommend just replacing them while installing new pups. If they're Alpha, DTS or Bournes I'll use them. The elcheapo's? Just put good ones in.

• Members

Yes, its the grounded lugs that are the problem if you have everything wired right. You also want to be sure the pot cans are grounded to the ring connector of the guitar jack.

The only other pissibility is the pots were damaged by overheating, but they would likely be real scratchey if that was the case. .

• Members

mrbrown 49 and WRGKMC

You guys were right on the money. I THOUGHT I had grounded the lugs properly, I did not. A little re-heat while pushing the lugs down and wadda-ya-know----the pots turn off. Thanks.

Good deal man. We're all glad to help here. Its always the stupid stuff that stumps you.

• Members

I learn something new just about every time I come here. I've never had this problem, but I know what to do if this happens. BTW, for the mini pots I've been using pieces of wire cut off of tone caps to make the connection as the 3rd lug just won't reach.

• Members

I learn something new just about every time I come here. I've never had this problem, but I know what to do if this happens. BTW, for the mini pots I've been using pieces of wire cut off of tone caps to make the connection as the 3rd lug just won't reach.

That's how I do it too. It's much easier than bending lugs or using little scraps of wire. Works great for connecting lugs on switches too. This may be a little OCD, but I have a spot in my electronic parts bin for clipped component leads. :lol:

Archived