why does my nocaster buzz?

bobtec

• Members

I built a cool "62" strat but with only a humbuck and a signal coil and a dummy pup in the center,I wired it up to the seymour Duncan It is ok until I take my hand off the bridge then it buzz like cray..I didnt run a ground line since it had the metal backing on the pickguard... only ran a ground to the string claw:facepalm:any ideas

• Members

You need to have a ground. alluminum foil alone is a poor conductor. Aslo if you are running any single wires like to the jack, they act as antennas picking up hum.

You have two choices. Shield the cavity with copper foil or replace the single wires with high impediance shielded wire. Keep all the hot wire ends as short as possible

like you'd find in the plugs of a guitar cable.

• Moderators

Sounds like the humbucker ground is floating. Shielding won't fix that. Make sure the solder joint at the claw isn't cold, and is properly flowed (test it with an ohmeter). That is a typical error. Also make sure that all the electronic components are tied to the ground plane.

• Members

What did you ground the other end of the string claw wire to? It sounds like it could be bridge ground problem.

I just wired it to the Volume pot back.I thought the tin foil on the pickguard would be the main ground,and then take it to the string claw,I also added a .1uf cap to the end at the claw maybe stop some voltage shock... thanks for the input

• Members

Sounds like the humbucker ground is floating. Shielding won't fix that. Make sure the solder joint at the claw isn't cold, and is properly flowed (test it with an ohmeter). That is a typical error. Also make sure that
all
the electronic components are tied to the ground plane.

I was wondering about that when I first soldered I had a huge blob of Cold solder and the claw is really oxydised

• Members

I was wondering about that when I first soldered I had a huge blob of Cold solder and the claw is really oxydised

use some sand paper to get the metal shiny first. Then heat the metal so the solder melts on the metal next to the solder tip, not the sollder tip.

This way you'll know the solder will beind with the steel. This can be difficult to do with a low wattage iron

• Members

I just wired it to the Volume pot back.I thought the tin foil on the pickguard would be the main ground,and then take it to the string claw,I also added a .1uf cap to the end at the claw maybe stop some voltage shock... thanks for the input

Am I miss reading this? Do you have a ground to the foil and then to the claw and the vol pot separately?

Under no circumstances is your tin foil used for your main ground. It's just added shielding.

• Moderators

you need to tie the ground to all the pots, the claw, the jack, the switch...but not to the shielding. As WRGKMC said, you need a clean surface on the claw to get good solder contact...your option would be to use a 'solder lug' under one of the claw screws. That capacitor is just not going to help your ground plane, either...pull it.

Archived