Martin D-28 - educate this newbie

Fireproof

• Members

You may have seen my note about the D-16 which I have been leaning towards.

Well, today I was in my local Brook Mays Music and the salesman was showing me a D-28 that was a floor model. He said it normally sells for $1999, but since it's a floor model, he can sell it for $1699.

There wasn't a scratch or ding on it that I could tell.

The other thing he told me is that the D-16 won't appreciate like the higher end Martins (like this D-28) because they don't have the same gloss coating or bracing, etc, etc. And that this coating on the 28 will age much better, etc.

I don't know much about high-end guitars, but I'm learning as fast as I can. It just so happens that I got my tax return back from my accountant today and have more money coming to me than I thought. So, what was previously out of my budget, MAY be in my budget if there are significant advantages to spending that much more...

Questions:

1. Is $1699 a good price for a "floor model"? There's a guitar show coming to Dallas at the end of April - would I be able to get a better deal there?

2. Is this guy right about the appreciation value of the D28 versus the D16?

3. Is it worth an extra $800 or so to go for the D28? What about the D18?

Forgive my ignorance, but thanks for your help in advance. I'm set on a Martin (just love the feel and tone) and just need to figure out which one. Also, for my application and use, I think the dreadnaught is the right size/shape. So now, it's just which one...

• Members

Current list price for a standard D-28 from Martin's site is $2749. Most people feel you can get 40 percent off list. .60 times 2749 is $1649. That would be for a new guitar, in the box, never played, with warranty and no scratches. (And would be a heck of a fine guitar)

Find another store

The D-18 and the D-28 are both fine guitars, but have somewhat different sounds. The d-18 is mahogany and tends to have a slightly "woodier" sound, they are sometimes prefered by bluegrass lead players. D-28 is EIRW and is said to have a more "complex" sound, frequently use for backup playing.

When you find the other store try to play both (or all) I can also point you towards some on line sound clips if you are interested. But in the end, let your ears be the judge. And remember the discount when you start dealing...

Edit to add, the D-16 is sapele which will be very much like mahogany in sound so the D-18 will be basically an upgrade. The Martin price on the 16 is 1999 so you should be able to dicker down to about 1200 bucks or so.

Maury's site is one of the places with audio clips of different models - take a listen there.

• Members

The D28 is a very common standard Martin model and I would not buy it as an "investment" guitar....It will hold a decent value as a used guitar however.I think you should play at least several since there are subtle differences among them,I would ignore the price -go for the one that "speaks" to you.....

• Members

I have to chuckle as this post reminds me of myself. As I recall, you started with a $750 "budget". Looks like a bit of an overrun?

I have 10-11 acoustics ranging in price from $200-$700. Got back into it a couple years ago after a long layoff and was not willing to put alot of money into another guitar, not knowing if I would stick with it. As I progressed, I found myself nickel and diming my way into a quantity v. quality fiasco.

Some of these guitars are fine and I play them regularly, but rely mostly on my Martin D-15 Custom (and a couple Blueridges to a lesser degree). Guess what? I am now preoccupied with finding a way to justify (in my wife's mind) buying an HD-28!

I guess my point is obvious. If you are more than a beginning guitarist and want a Martin, try to avoid the "entry level" syndrome and buy as much guitar as you can afford. I did not, and regret it to some extent (though I love the D-15).

Can't go wrong with a D-28. Elderly Insruments, My Favorite Guitars and Maury's Music are all highly regarded and will give you as good a deal as you can expect. The price you were offered is nothing special.

As I mentioned in your other post, check out the UMGF for more guidance and suggestions.

Sorry for the long post--just wanted to share my shame.;)

• Members

Thanks again guys.

Yes- budget overrun - haha. The problem is my skill level probably only justifies a $500 guitar.

But I would like to buy a decent/quality guitar that will last, will sound nice, will play nice, and I'll be happy for a long time.

Like the above, I've bought a few cheap guitars, only to regret it later (realizing I could've just saved a bit longer and bought one much nicer guitar). So I've sold off some junk (as well as some non-music-related toys) and am ready to buy a decent acoustic for once.

So my quandry is how much to spend. It's just a hobby for me, as I started learning late in life, I'm currently 37 with 2 young kids, and don't gig or anything. I just fiddle with it for my own pleasure, and I play for a small church group twice/month. So while my "tastes" say go for the $2000 Martin, my budget and skill level both say to stick to $1000.

If I'm being honest with myself, the D-16GT is probably the right guitar for me. But the D-28 does have some appeal (but is of course about twice as much).

Hmmmmmm...

But thanks for all the friendly feedback. The comment about investment vs. just retaining value also helps. I don't have the financial means to be buying a guitar for an "investment" anyway, but thought if there were a significant difference in potential appreciation between a $1000 Martin and a $1600 one, I'd find a way to make up the difference. But it sounds like that really shouldn't be a consideration.

Decisions, decisions. :)

• Members

Fireproof, if a D28 is remotely an option in your mind (and budget), that is exactly what I'd suggest. The more you "get up to speed" re: higher end accoustics, the more you'll hear that the D28 is the standard by which dreadnaughts are judged. In many an eye it is the Martin on which the Martin name is known. Many times around here I've heard it is a better balanced sound than the upgrade HD28. If you can get it now, jump.

• Members

Well to complicate matters further let me just add a personal note about my favorite Martin model, the D-35. Its not a guitar for everyone but since you like the "Martin sound" you should at least play one of these. They are made of the same woods as the D-28 but they have a 3 piece rosewood back (instead of 2 piece like the D-28) and the bracing is lighter than the D-28 which in my experience makes it somewhat more responsive. I have played many D-28s and D-35s over the years and my preference has always been for the look and sound of the D-35. I've recently seen a couple of used HD-35s going for about $1700. They have the same beautiful 3 piece back as the D-35 but have herringbone trim and also the braces are scalloped which makes the HD-35 very nice for strumming or fingerstyle.

Good luck with your decision. Take your time and make sure whatever guitar you choose is the one that speaks to you. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Fireproof

The other thing he told me is that the D-16 won't appreciate like the higher end Martins (like this D-28) because they don't have the same gloss coating or bracing, etc, etc. And that this coating on the 28 will age much better, etc.

I don't know about the bracing, but the gloss finish on both guitars is the same.

Anyhow, my main acoustic is a D-28. I love it, but I had to play about two dozen different ones before I found the one that spoke to me.

• Members

Dude, I love me some D-28. But in your shoes - or mine - what I'd do is forget entirely about the idea of resale value or whether the floor model is a good deal, etc., and just try out guitars until you come across one that grabs you by the nuts. You have the luxury of a really nice budget and no particular rush (I hope). IMO, Guitars are just not a good monetary rainy day investment; bonds are generally much more sound for that kind of consideration. But bonds have crappy tone.

• Members

Yep, no particular rush. I know one will jump out and grab me one of these days. In the meantime, I'll keep playing a variety of them.

Within the Martin line, I do like a couple different sounds - the mahogony back sounds good to me and so does the traditional rosewood, which I'm more used to. They both sound great - but different.

That D-28 was sweet though. But that D-16 at another store sounded really good. I didn't think I would like the satin sides and back with the gloss top, but it wasn't bad. And the guitar felt like it was worn in a bit already (in a good way). I wish I had those two side-by-side.

Oh well - more research in the meantime, and off to a couple more guitar shops tomorrow. ;) And a lot more guitars to play with!! :D

• Members

You wont go wrong with a D-28 , not sure if i consider it an investment either ( unless its an old BR )- probably a good idea to look for one gently used, that has a few years on it - besides sounding better, you maybe able to get your money back and maybe a little more- I personnaly would stay away from the 1970's , but thats your call !

I also like the sound of HD-28's better ( unless its an ancient D-28 ) that maybe a thought ! also think the herringbone is neat .

• Members

I still think martin makes kit guitars ..... one option is to have a custom builder assemble one for you ..... I did this ,, and ended up with a D18 style guitar that sounds far better than a stock D18 .... While you wont get the martin name ,,, you will get a hand crafted instrument and custom scalloped bracing. Starting with the kit lets the builder save alot of time... and keeps the cost down ......If you are interested drop me a PM .... and i will hook you up with the guy who did two of these for me... anything this guy builds sounds great ,, from his hand carved arch top jazz boxes to his mandolins ....... If you want a martin ,,, skip the low line stuff and buy their inline..... dont pass up playing a taylor either ..... they are fine instruments. rat

• Members

From the all-gloss finish (vs satin b/s) to the ebony fretboard & bridge (vs synthetic micarta) to the hand-fit dovetail neck joint (vs mortise & tenon), the D28 is alot more guitar. Add to that the reputation of being in the Martin lineup forever, it is a major league git. Oh crap, now you've gone and stirred up GAS pains in me...

• Members

They both sound great - but different.

I wish I had those two side-by-side.

Those are two really important statements. Find a good shop with a variety of guitars and play everything within your price range (remember the 40 percent thing). Listen to both the front and the back of the guitars - if possible take a little tape recorder and record each one (and your comments). If you find something your really like consider asking the shop to put new strings on for you - Martin SP strings tend to go dead pretty fast and can really kill the sound (a good shop should be changing strings regularly).

On the 16 series guitars Martin is making some compromises - the satin back take less effort in the finishing booth (it can be buffed somewhat), sapele is a "budget" replacement wood for mahogany (I own guitars made of both) and it is very different from rosewood (ovangkol is the "budget" r/w), and the MT neck takes a lot less effort to assemble (but is also a lot easier to reset).

Last but far from least, Martin is turning out 70,000 a year and just topped a million total - new ones are not investments but tools to make beautiful music.

While you are doing your research put your tax refund in a cd (so you won't waste it on groceries or rent or something) and when you find the guitar that calls to you personally - take it home. The journey will be fun, I can promise you.

• Members

Thanks for all your help, Freeman, and the rest of the gang.

I don't know what people are talking about when they say that people on these forums are unfriendly to outsiders??
;)

Thanks again. Off to visit UMGF.

Who said that? Dang Philistines.
:mad:

Archived