I broke a freakin' nail!

kwakatak

• Members

Originally posted by Ruh916

I used to grow my nails but also have a habit of biting them if there's a burr on them
:(

I also have that habit but I'm trying to keep on top of nail care with clippers and an emery board. I gnawed on my index fingernail in a moment of weakness! :o

Originally posted by mrlucky7

Your picks are in the soundhole ! My guitar sounds like a maracas when I shake it around
:D

Nah, the only thing in my soundhole are discarded fingernail nippings and a chunk of enamel bonding that came off when I bit down on my thumbnail. They're much harder to get out than picks! :o

• Members

I've just started experimenting with a nail-hardening solution on my picking hand... Works great for playing. Only problem is the {censored} is pretty glossy. Can't find a matte version anywhere. When I'm at work I find I've quickly developed a habit of keeping my hand in my pocket or obscured by papers... Who the hell wants to explain the one hand with long glossy nails?

• Members

Originally posted by kwakatak

Now my fingerstyle playing is gonna be off for at least a week. One of these days I'm gonna buy a set of fingerpicks.

I guess I should just shaddup and play my electric then. Now where'd I put those picks?
:confused:

I don't break so many nails now that I keep them a little shorter and I find that I have better control trimmed back a bit. About once a year I try to wear fingerpicks but I always give up. Just can't do it.

• Members

Originally posted by knockwood

I've just started experimenting with a nail-hardening solution on my picking hand... Works great for playing. Only problem is the {censored} is pretty glossy. Can't find a matte version anywhere. When I'm at work I find I've quickly developed a habit of keeping my hand in my pocket or obscured by papers... Who the hell wants to explain the one hand with long glossy nails?

haha... you can knock the gloss off with something abrasive.

They make a sanding pad now for using on spindles and such. It's about 1/4 inch think and 3x5" or so. Spongey kinda interior with grit on each side... very flexible and soft. One of those with extra fine grit would be perfect. Home Depot.:thu:

• Members

You may want to go into you local drug store and pick up a fake-nail kit. I bought one at walgreens that has 100 fake nails of different sizes, and a bottle of nail glue for $.6.99 (in Florida) . I trim it, glue it on, file it, and then I have a nail that will last me about 10 days.

A trick to make it stay on that long when playing alot: take a tiny piece of tiisue paper, place it on top of the nail just before you are ready to glue it. Apply some glue to the nail and atop the tissue paper and hold. The tissue paper seems to strengthen the bond.

• Members

Originally posted by fingerpicker

You may want to go into you local drug store and pick up a fake-nail kit. I bought one at walgreens that has 100 fake nails of different sizes, and a bottle of nail glue for $.6.99 (in Florida) . I trim it, glue it on, file it, and then I have a nail that will last me about 10 days.

A trick to make it stay on that long when playing alot: take a tiny piece of tiisue paper, place it on top of the nail just before you are ready to glue it. Apply some glue to the nail and atop the tissue paper and hold. The tissue paper seems to strengthen the bond.

I'm gonna try those next time I have a nailbreak.

• Members

I heard Buster B Jones (Winfield finger picking champ) at a little seminar last year. I asked him what he does for nail care. His one word answer "acrylics"

I'm a rock climber as well as a wanna be guitar player. During the climbing season my "flesh and nails" technique is mostly "flesh". Wonder if the acrylics would help my climbing?

• Members

I tried Alaska-Piks and all the other stuff. The Alaska-Piks come the closest to actually working for me but they just aren't up to the task. Besides, if used aggressively without taping them on they flip out of position. Store-bought fake nails have way too much curvature. I made my own and they work great. I took .010 thick clear acetate, fashioned each one to the shape of each fingernail, super-glued them on and trimmed them to shape. The gloss can be removed as stated above or just use a coarse steel wool. I have been doing this for a few months now and have got it down pat. Just throwing out an idea.

• Members

Fake nails for women usually sound terrible for guitar playing. The thickness of the nail is not at all similar to natural nails. Acrylic nails are much better but make sure you get them put on by a good professional because if they are not put on properly you can have serious nail problems later. One of the best materials for replacing nails is to cut up a ping pong ball. Ping pong balls are much more similar to real nails than typical women's fake nails. I have an expensive professional classical guitar player's fake nail kit yet I have to say that even though they are decent I don't notice much difference from the ping pong balls I used to use.

• Members

Meh, I won't go the fake-nail route. I've gotten by so far with just a little fingernail on my index and middle fingers and I like the tone they give me. As for nail care, I've tried to keep them neatly trimmed and shapes. I've even taken steps to keep them from getting brittle by protecting my hands when I do household chores (yes, even guys can get dishpan hands so I wear them yellow rubber granny gloves! :o ) but that doesn't stop them from getting snagged or gouged every so often.

• Members

The fake nails I mentioned earlier sound fine, and are VERY close in thickness to real nails. I have heard(and read) about the ping pong ball technique and acrylics. Both are popular.

Acrylics sound good, but the chemicals ruin your real nails and once the acrylic is off your nail will be more fragile and brittle until it groes out.

• Members

Originally posted by SusanV

haha... you can knock the gloss off with something abrasive.

They make a sanding pad now for using on spindles and such. It's about 1/4 inch think and 3x5" or so. Spongey kinda interior with grit on each side... very flexible and soft. One of those with extra fine grit would be perfect. Home Depot.
:thu:

I just tried this and it works great! It's made by Norton and I did, indeed, get it at Home Depot. I was using Sally Hanson Teflon Tuff Extra Strength Nail Protector and had the gloss was awful. This pad knocks the gloss back, and the nail looks completely natural. Great tip, Susan!

• Members

I cracked a nail last week, & used superglue & (cut-to-size) tissue paper to cover the crack/nail-tip - you can build up 2-3 layers of single-ply tissue, let each layer dry before adding the next, & then sandpaper smooth when finished; takes about 20 minutes, sets like rock & you're good to go! (lasts for weeks, too) ..

• Members

I have really frickin' strong nails, so i don't have to worry about breaking them much (unless I go bowling), but when I was in college all the other classical guitar majors would use the ping-pong ball method when they'd break a nail. Acrylics work well, but destroy your natural nail.

One reason people break nails a lot is because most people keep their nails longer than they have to be, which makes them more susceptible to breakage. Usually, you should just be able to see the tip of the nail peeking out past the flesh of your finger if you view your hand with your palm facing you. Also, keep them well filed and free of nicks that can catch on things...I find super-fine grit sandpaper to be the best for this.

• Members

Originally posted by Osmosis

One reason people break nails a lot is because most people keep their nails longer than they have to be, which makes them more susceptible to breakage. Usually, you should just be able to see the tip of the nail peeking out past the flesh of your finger if you view your hand with your palm facing you. Also, keep them well filed and free of nicks that can catch on things...I find super-fine grit sandpaper to be the best for this.

Now that makes sense to me. I'm always getting a notch cut in my index fingernail or my m.f.'s nail will fold over and crack along the outline of my fingertip because it has this weird way of growing. The temprary solution has been to keep them trimmed and keep my fingers away from my mouth during the frequent times when I "space out".

Not too long ago I would keep an emery board nearby but between a toddler and a cat that loves to chew the things (hey, we've all got issues here! :freak: ) they just seem to disappear.

Archived