Recording: Takamine F-360/JLD vs Larrivee OM-03R

kwakatak

• Members

Dimmit, Neil, I've got to wait until I get home tonight to hear these. Ain't got no sound on my work PC.

btw - I had been working on that lovely version of Vincent after it came out in Fingerstyle. Had the basic song down pretty good, but without all the wonderful embelishments. I really like the harmonics - isn't that a cool part? When I noodle around with it my wife says "that's pretty, not like the stuff you usually play" (think she means "Roll 'n Tumble" ?) Anyway, you have inspired me to really learn it well.

• Members

I prefer the Larrivee. And I want you to put new strings on it. Martin PB lights. I was bitching about my OM-21 not opening up for the first few days too. I put new strings on...twice and finally felt and heard the difference. I was also comparing it with a much louder D-16R. After a couple of weeks I really grew to love the OM's complexity and absolute clarity, it beats the hell out of any dreads that I've played. But that said, I'm buying a D-15S when the house finally sells and I have room for another guitar.

• Members

Thanks, Neil. Here is my take - the Tak is a dread, right? The tuned down bottom strings are pretty powerful on it, while the bass is much more balanced on the OM - no real suprise. I hear the mids better on the OM - particularly the harmonics. I agree, it is more bell like, and far more even between strings. That Tak is showing the richness of age - it actually is a pretty fine sounding guitar for all the structural issues you've talked about. But hands down I like the OM.

It sounds like the bass is a little bigger with the JLD but that could be a lot of other things - I don't think the doc hurt it any.

My wife walked by as I was listening to the OM and she said "is that a classical" - I said, no, and she said, "sure is pretty" and headed off to fix dinner. Think that says it well.

My gosh, I just listened to it again and that new git really is a bell - don't worry about the bass, 'bro, it's there. Believe me.

• Members

Thanks for that FK!

Yes, the Tak is a dread, an older one of the "Martin lawsuit" models that closely resemble the late-60s D-21/D-28s. As far as the richness of age, it may be 33 years old but I've heard that laminated guitars don't really age like solid wood guitars though.

http://www.takamine.com/?fa=detail&mid=1040&sid=351

All in all, I intend to keep the Tak on as a strummer and if I got to an open-mic one day that'd be the guitar I'd take as it's nearly bulletproof and is good for singing along with. It doesn't fingerpick half-bad either! ;)

BTW, I'm a little worried about the effect of the mounting screw on my bridge (it's rosewood) since the back end of it was planed down to compensage for the lifting back there. I heard something crack and I don't have a good feeling. I can't really see anything though.

OTOH, the Larrivee plays so much more comfortably for fingerstyle (I love the fretboard/neck dimensions!) and yes, I can certainly hear its potential. FWIW, for now the tone of the guitar is much "woodier" as opposed to my "Pergo-ish" Tak's tone! Little by little I'm bonding with it but the Tak's got about 15 more years of lap-time with me so it's got a lot of catching up to do!

All in all, I'm pretty happy. It's actually like having two brand-new guitars.

Archived