coated strings on my new Larrivee...?!?

kwakatak

• Members

... and I ripped 'em off. :mad:

I'm not sure if they were D'Addorio's or Elixirs but there was definitely some sort of teflon on there that could probably fry up an egg pretty well without scorching the guitar but otherwise they didn't sound all that good. So off they came and on went on a set of plain old Martin SP PB lights (not the Fingerstyles, but they will be on order).

The tone was a little brighter last night - albeit a little "tighter" in the action dept which is fine by me - but this morning after I took out the humdifier and took it out of the case the guitar sounded dull again. Go figger'...? :bamboozled:

FWIW, I've taken a pick to the strings and I'm strummin' real hard to open that top up! I think it's time to order some Newtones and a bone saddle! :freak:

Yours in perpetual GAS,

• Members

Neil, try a set of DR sunbeams or Elixer nano PB's. When you install the bone saddle remember the lower the action the lower (not as loud or bright) the sound. In other words try and only keep it as low as comfortable for your playing style. Esp. the drive the top and help opeing up the guitar.BTW your OM-03 probably had Cleartones on it.. and IMHO YUK.

• Members

Give it a couple of weeks with those same strings, don't change anything yet, let the guitar open up a bit, adjust to being played, adjust to the humidity and temperature of your house. Listen for it's quirks and such. Then you'll be able to judge a difference when you start to experiment with saddles and strings. But I have learned that when dealing with a new guitar, change the strings and nothing else during this breaking in period of about a month. You'll be happy you did.

• Members

You know, I normally like the Elixir PB Nanos but just not on this guitar. OTOH on my Tak (which is brighter) they help to take the edge off. In fact, even now I've had the same set of Elixir PBs on it for a couple of months now.

I'm definitely going to swap out the saddle because it's a touch low for my tastes, but yes I admit I'm still getting used to the Larrivee neck profile too so maybe I will wait a little more.

• Members

Yes,

Cleartones are coated, love the pic of your guitar, they look better with a pickguard, What did you put on for replacement strings, I played a larrivee OM -03 and it sounded ok with the Elixirs, the neck wasn't a good fit for me cause of my nerve damage, plus too expensive, enjoy yours, it will never give you a dread sound, OMs have a different tone, sure you will love it soon, Quality

Archived