Warning: Scam alert

Stringman

• Members

Originally posted by Stringman

I filed a complaint with the FBI. And will soon be doing the same with the L. A. P. D. and applying for a permit to carry a gun. The permit will probably be denied, but I want it on record that I

• Members

When I owned a business I'd get these things monthly - mostly from Nigeria - about needing a place to safe-house millions of dollars - and all I had to do was give them my banking business account number so they could deposit said "millions" into and, for my part, I would receive 1/2 million. The world looks upon the American citizen as a "have" and themselves as "have nots". Hence the flood of wire-fraud scams at all levels.

The individual who contacted you runs a boiler room for this kind of fraud - not unlike the ones preying upon the elderly from within our own borders - and it has reached the music industry. I've been contacted myself for a particular song but recognized the "language" immediately.

You don't need a gun. You might need a couple beers (non-British) but that's about it.

• Members

Yeah, you can definitely relax, it's an out of the country scam for sure,

I work as Parts Manager for Nissan Dealership, I get scam calls all the time, mostly from -you guessed it - Nigeria !! wanting to buy 100's of axles and whatever other {censored} they can think of.

I've even been sort of nasty with them, and nothing's ever come of it other than being commended at work for not 'falling for it'

• Members

Your right about the multitudes of scams , most from Africa - ive even heard about people sending cars to africa , with the change from the phony check or MO - they get burned every time !

One idea a friend of mine gave me- is to list on any item that your selling that you will deal with continental USA only , and then and only then after the MO or cashiers check clears- legitamitely-- i also agree about not worring about it, there just trying to scare you into doing what they want- definitely an out of country scam - Theres new ones everyday . dont let this bother you .

• Members

Hey dude! I'm in LA and I'd gladly watch your back.

There have been documented reports of people being harrassed and attacked here in L.A. by just these types of creeps, but since L.A. county is the only county in the state you're not allowed to defend yourself, don't worry about the permit. And don't listen to anyone who tries to tell you that a guitar is something you can defend your life or your property with. The sad truth is that there are assholes in this world who think it's their right to take what ever you have. To ignore this evil is to do so at your own peril especially in a big city like L.A. I agree with the "chill" suggestions, but do so with a nice comforting baseball bat nearby. It's much less to replace than a guitar. Maybe not as effective as a Les Paul or any other solidbodies in a scrap, but definitely cheaper!

Chances are, you'll be just fine, but no one should EVER take a communicated threat lightly. It's just not a good idea, IMHO.

• Members

I think Petey is the best defense , If you get a weapon and your not trained in using it , your attacker may take it away from you and use it on you ( if you choose this last resort get training , just having it isnt enough ) Dogs are always a great thing to have , they also dont complain as much when your playing or singing is off key -plus they dont make stupid song requests - well maybe " How much is that doggy in the window " .

• Members

this is an old old scam where their check bounces and they rely on getting you to front the money before you find that out.

anything that sounds like it's too good to be true... is a scam. and how can you be so stupid as to think that someone is going to be interested in buying 100 copies of your cd? will NEVER happen

• Members

hey man chill on the "how can you be so stupid" he wasn't. And you never know if someone is going to want your cd for distribution or not. I'm pretty sure that a store around here bought a minimum of 20 of a friend's cd, with more likely to come if they sell well. You could call him an idiot if he fell for it and paid the man, but he didn't.

• Members

"your attacker may take it away from you..." Bullcrap. More like perp sees gun, loses bowel control. Petey is a great alternative, for sure. Still, give me a blade or a Squire Precision Bass in close quarters... :thu:

• Members

I agree that you shouldn't worry, but I would get the gun anyway. You have the right to and should own one if you are a law abiding citizen. Everyone is so uptight about gun ownership these days because society holds weapons and not people responsible for the atrocities that are committed. You know yourself better than anyone else on this forum so If you feel that you couldn't handle one, don't get it.

Beautiful dog Stringman!

• Members

+1 what LGHERIG said.

If you are not comfortable about/with firearms avoid them. Also, I would say buying one "for protection" is not a decision to be taken lightly......are you psychologically ready to use a firearm on a human being? And, how likely is it that you'll actually need to? I don't think I am/will so I keep mine unloaded and locked up.

However owning one is your RIGHT!. If you want to get comfortable with them, buy one, go to a range and practice. Wear ear protection!!!! You might find you enjoy shooting in an of itself.

Also....my 2 cents (for free!). If you are worried about defending yourself at your HOME and are not familiar with handguns, don't (*Y(_) around with a permit. Buy yourself a pump action 12 ga (or 20 ga) shotgun (Remington or Mossberg). The sound of the slide should be enough deterent in and of itself....."aiming" is less of an issue.....and if you shoot and miss (and are NOT using slugs or buckshot) you are not likely to shoot through walls and kill your neighbor. Plus shooting clay pigeions is loads of fun!!

Also, if you have kids (especially younger kids) you gotta keep your firearms secured. This means making them less available to your kids but also means that you NEED to teach them to respect firearms (They are dangerous tools ... like a table saw!!).

All that said, I don't think you have anything to worry about!

Cheers,

Matt.

Archived