What strings come stock on Alvarez guitars?

• Members

I overheard someone telling someone else at the guitar store yesterday that they come stock with Elixer strings. Today I looked at an Alvarez and they appeared to have coated strings (the wound strings looked almost white). However, don't Taylor's come with Elixers? Why do the Taylor strings look different than the Alvarez strings? The strings on the Taylor looked more like normal strings, and the strings on the Alvarez guitars looked white-ish.

• Members

I think that's right. I bought an Alvarez low end model once and I think it came with the brag of being strung with Elixers. I've since sold that guitar.

Alvarez makes a lot of expensive guitars but their cheapos are actually pretty nice. I've never had a guitar come in the mail set up better than that Alvarez.

• Members

Originally posted by AtomHeartMother

I overheard someone telling someone else at the guitar store yesterday that they come stock with Elixer strings. Today I looked at an Alvarez and they appeared to have coated strings (the wound strings looked almost white). However, don't Taylor's come with Elixers? Why do the Taylor strings look different than the Alvarez strings? The strings on the Taylor looked more like normal strings, and the strings on the Alvarez guitars looked white-ish.

My Alvarez came with Elixir Polywebs.

I think Taylors come with Elixir Nanowebs.

• Members

Originally posted by Hudman

The coating is thicker. I think the poly's look more white.

true. Nanos will feel rougher and will have more string noise. There are also two flavors of Nano's - PB and 80/20. They might have a slightly different color to the metal.

And what every you think of coated strings, one advantage for a manufacture (or store) is that they will sound relatively fresh in the shop. I've played too many new Marties with dead sounding strings. One reason people tend to like Taylors in the store.

• Members

Originally posted by Freeman Keller

true. Nanos will feel rougher and will have more string noise. There are also two flavors of Nano's - PB and 80/20. They might have a slightly different color to the metal.

And what every you think of coated strings, one advantage for a manufacture (or store) is that they will sound relatively fresh in the shop. I've played too many new Marties with dead sounding strings. One reason people tend to like Taylors in the store.

I agree.

Almost every Martin at the 3 Guitar Centers near will have dead strings.

• Members

The first D35 I played at guitar center a few weeks ago sounded amazing... it sold and there was a "new" one in it's place. Strings were rusty and really dull sounding. They put new strings on it and I am going to try it tommorow. If it sounds like the first one, I will be quite happy. If not, then either a road trip or possibly the 28 that was there. It sounded great as well.

My Alvarez has Elixers on it. Not sure what ones though.

• 13 years later...
  • Members

Something to keep in mind - 

If a string company wants market share, bragging rights, etc. they can offer ridiculously low prices, promo co-op money, priority services, etc. to work with a guitar manufacturer. For a manufacturer this helps to lower the per-unit cost of guitars. Don't automatically assume that strings that "come on a guitar" are necessarily better. 

Don't get locked in to anything in aperticular until you find what you like. Learn about how guitar strings are made (core, wrap, material, etc.). Learn what to expect with tone, clarity, durability from any particular set of strings.  

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I'm going to assume you mean an AD60. No clue what strings are on it now and if you bought it used all bets are off. That said, strings are (relatively) cheap so you can always experiment. In my mind, "twangy" suggests fairly light strings. A heavier gauge might help. If your guitar has lights now, mediums might help. Coated strings, different formulations like nickel bronze/aluminum bronze or monel.

• Like 1