Sharp nut ends

grunge782

• Members

What is the best way to go about smoothing out the edges of a new nut and polishing it? Some of my guitars have some kinda rough edges on the guitar nut, where as some of my other guitars (Carvin and Schecter) have nice, smooth glossy nuts with smooth edges (:facepalm::p)

Do you just simply sand it down with some fine grit sandpaper? :confused:

• Members

What is the best way to go about smoothing out the edges of a new nut and polishing it? Some of my guitars have some kinda rough edges on the guitar nut, where as some of my other guitars (Carvin and Schecter) have nice, smooth glossy nuts with smooth edges (
:facepalm::p
)

Do you just simply sand it down with some fine grit sandpaper?
:confused:

Well the best way depends on your budget and tools. I'd personally take a fine file or rough (relative to finishing, not what you find at home depot) sandpaper, then fine sandpaper, then polish with my dremel and polishing attachment. Even if you do it by hand with some sand paper and a small polisher it shouldn't take long at all.

• Members

I use files to rough the shape then polish with sand paper.

If you don't have files sandpaper will be fine, it's just slower.

Tape around the nut with some masking tape to protect the finish, fretboard and frets in case you slip.

Cool seems simple enough :thu:

• Members

I been using brass nits lately on fender type necks. I'm able to use a fret crowning file on its top to smooth

the corners. The rest a file and sandpaper. Plastic and bone are simple in comparison. i may flaten it down to

remove excess with a flat file after cutting my slots, then again needle files to remive the sharp edge then fine sandpaper to polish it.

When working with brass I may polish it with steel wool then tape it all off and give it a few shots of lacquer so it retains its shine.

• Members

On bone and Corian, I've been rough shaping with files and a small sanding board with 80 grit, then through 120/220/400/600 grit, very lightly on the front and back surfaces. Bevel and slightly round the corners. Get it just oversize with 120, then it should fit snugly after the other grits. Finish with a Dremel, buffing wheel, and some jeweler's rouge. Watch the heat and keep it moving, especially on plastics.

Archived