masterbilt & Elitist DEAD?

Lucas S.

• Members

Has anyone else heard the rumor that the epiphone masterbilt and elitist lines are being discontinued. I know that certain models are, specifically the EF-500R acoustic-electric that I tried to order from my local dealer. Then I went to guitar center(i know alot of people don't like them) to see if they had any, and the guy said that epiphone gave them the impression the were done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I havn't heard anything else, but unless my local shop and guitar center is lying to me the EF-500R acoustic electric is definatly done. Still not sure about the rest. I wanted my 500R in vintage sunburst which is why I was ordering it, but since I couldn't get it I was going to get the natural that my local shop had in stock. He claimed he would order the sunburst w/electronics for $699 if he could, or he would give me a "deal" on the natural since he already had it. Once he couldn't order the sunburst he wanted $799 for the natural. This made me think he knows something he's not telling me, but I'm very paranoid so who knows.

Anyways I just got my EF-500R from musiciansfriend (seemed like my only choice) without electronics, I'll have them put in later. I'm not trying to spread rumors these are just things I've heard and I can't really validate them, but if you want a masterbilt or an elitist I would get on it just in case. I think there a great deal, I wouldn't trade my EF-500R for anything. Sorry for rambling.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I called Musicians' Friend AND Gibson Customer service yesterday about the possible discontinuation of the Elitist Les Paul and everybody seemed in the dark on the subject. The rep at Mus. Friend said that they weren't showing any on order, and that usually meant that they had been discontinued, but he wasn't sure. The guy at Gibson didn't know anything about it either way. This is strange.

• Members

Sorry for my smart alec reply. :cry:

I just guess I'm a bit over-sensntive to this subject. Lot of guys on here like to put the Epi Elites down when they don't even know what they're talking about. Their only point of reference is the regular Korean Epi LPs, which are not even close to the Elites.

• Members

well i think we could all just go for a big group hug right about now

:cry:

ha jk... but what reason would they have to stop selling them in the u.s.--even if not many people buy them, why wouldn't they just drop the amount they sell here

• Members

From observing their actions during the last year, it seems that the motivating forces guiding Gibson Marketing are not logic and reason. Stopping well established dealers from showing their guitars and prices on the internet, while at the same time putting them on Amazon.com for sale......well, you see what I mean. There's been a lot of angry comments about their recent practices on the Les Paul Forum in the past year, and rightfully so.

• Members

Originally posted by etvetv2001

Sorry for my smart alec reply.
:cry:

I just guess I'm a bit over-sensntive to this subject. Lot of guys on here like to put the Epi Elites down when they don't even know what they're talking about. Their only point of reference is the regular Korean Epi LPs, which are not even close to the Elites.

yeah i'm not one of those guys... i've liked the newer elites and masterbilts i've played... enough to have recommended them here once or twice...

no worries mate

• 1 month later...
  • Members

So did anybody ever find out the straight poop? I've been looking for a new acoustic, and I was watching Rush R30 last night, and when Alex comes on with the Masterbilt for "Resist" a lightbulb went on in my head.

I'd be sad if they had discontinued them right after i discovered they were out there. I kinda have to wait about six or eight months before I can buy one, and I'm hoping I'm not having to buy one used...

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Originally posted by etvetv2001

Gibson owns Epiphone

More correctly Gibson owns the Epiphone trademark, and applies it to instruments that are (mostly) contract-built overseas.

Epiphone is simply a brand name, like Kenmore. There is no Epiphone factory, just like there is no Ibanez factory.

• Members

Originally posted by Cldplytkmn

this thread just won't quit... haha

Yeah - and it was dated when it first appeared last October.

The fact of the matter is that Gibson just brought the Masterbilt line back after a long hiatus. From what I heard they did it to coincide with the opening of a factory in China that was dedicated solely to the production of Epiphone guitars.

Archived