Kunaki and CDBaby

• Members

What do you guys think of Kunaki and CDBaby?

Those are the two services I'm really looking at right now to handle all of the digital distribution, online sales, duplication, etc.

Also have looked at Tunecore and Snocap.

What would you guys suggest? I don't plan on selling much right now so the no minimums is very important.

• Members

From what I've seen, Kunaki is about the cheapest company for duplication ... if you can live with their one and only package, which restricts you to a 2-panel insert (both sides of a single sheet of paper).

CDBaby has an excellent reputation, from what I've heard; I don't believe I've ever heard anybody claim that CDBaby ripped them off or didn't deliver what they promised. My band will be using them for our CD sales. They also do digital distribution. We're using TuneCore for that, however. We've had some glitches with TC, but they're now getting ironed out. In retrospect, we could probably have gone with CDBaby for everything, but I think it'll be fine with TuneCore anyway.

I've heard some funky things about Snocap. CDBaby used to partner with them but no longer does. I would be inclined to stay away, though I'm sure there are folks for whom Snocap has worked out well. We're using Nimbit on our MySpace page, which, like Snocap, has the benefit of being portable but pays slightly more than Snocap.

If you want to keep it simple, Kunaki for duplication and CDBaby for CD sales and digital distribution should do about everything you'd need. You could still add Snocap or Nimbit for MySpace or Facebook sales later if you want.

• Members

I just had my CD made with Kunaki and am waiting for the free proof copy. It was incredibly easy to set up and upload to them, and they are pretty cheap. I'll post back here when I get the copy to let you know the quality of the product

• Members

I used Kunaki on my last release... it looks fine - full color on-disc printing, shrink-wrap, bar-code... really looks nice! Then only thing is that these are CD-R's, not "pressed" CD's... but I've only had one person complain about it not playing in their car.

• Members

I should say that Kunaki is the cheapest I've seen for short runs. There is a point, and it's probably around 300 to 500 CDs, where you can start to do better elsewhere. But if you just want something like 100 to 200, I haven't seen anywhere that will do it for less.

• Members

I should say that Kunaki is the cheapest I've seen
for short runs.
There is a point, and it's probably around 300 to 500 CDs, where you can start to do better elsewhere. But if you just want something like 100 to 200, I haven't seen anywhere that will do it for less.

...or even if you only want just one CD made, they will do it for $1.75! :thu:

• Members

CD Baby is very good. I do not have music released, but I have friends who have sold their CD's there and they had good experiences. I have purchased from them and they ship quickly, so as a customer I can say they are great too.

• Members

Wow...Reading Kunaki's webpage is like dealing with the Borg.
:lol:

I like the flat price and no minimums, and that they integrate with CDBaby and Amazon, but Oasis offers some promotion options they don't...

Decisions, decisions...

Unless you are sure that you NEED 500 or more CD's, Kunaki is your best bet. In fact, you can always make 50-100 through Kunaki just put your foot in the water to see if anyone is actually gonna buy your CD's... :cop:

You can always go to Oasis for your second order. :thu:

• Members

That there is the plan. I don't see a need for a large run of CDs for awhile but i want them to look good. Honestly the majority of the band is broke. While I have money, it causes problems if I invest a ton of money and no one else in the band does. Especially if it all goes down. So my plan is to just do small runs from kunaki and get what I need to keep some around to sell.

• Members

I've done several recent project using KUNAKI and they all look very professional. I've done several other full on pressed projects in the past and I will not use any other service from now on. It's KUNAKI. I'm also experimenting with DISKREVOLT as well for non-physical online sales that you can still sell at shows.

• Members

Cool! I'm getting more stoked about this project all the time...Can't wait to have a stack of CDs sitting here!

Be careful of what you wish for!

I've had a stack of CDs in my garage for 4 years.

(well, I'm down to the last 90 or so now)

CDs just aren't selling like they did 5 years ago.

• Members

Be careful of what you wish for!

I've had a stack of CDs in my garage for 4 years.

(well, I'm down to the last 90 or so now)

CDs just aren't selling like they did 5 years ago.

heh... yep... I've still got a nice little supply of CD's from my first release that I got duplicated through Oasis... For my last release, I used Kunaki and just order 25 at a time as the need arises.

:cop:

• Members

kurfu, thanks for adding to this thread! Since I've been looking at Oasis exclusively before this, it's good to have someone who's actually used both give their $.02.
:thu:

The thing is that you need to be realistic about the demand for your product; simply pressing 500-1000 copies of a CD doesn't mean that people are going to automatically line up to buy them... Unless you've already got a fan base of eager buyers holding their breath while waiting for your new release, you might want to jump into the shallow end of the pool for now. ;):cool:

• Members

I've used discmakers for CD replication and CDBaby for online sales and itunes and I'm very very satisfied with both companies.

I was more than happy with discmakers. They were a little expensive, but the art they produced, and also the Mastering was top notch!

Archived