Kunaki and CDBaby

• Members

I was more than happy with discmakers. They were a little expensive, but the art they produced, and also the Mastering was top notch!

Really? A friend of mine used the Discmaker mastering service, and I wasn't impressed at all - everything was *waaaayyy* too quiet... and before somebody says it, I know the difference between squashed and un-squashed... his came back sounding anemic.

:eek:

• Members

Really? A friend of mine used the Discmaker mastering service, and I wasn't impressed at all - everything was *waaaayyy* too quiet... and before somebody says it, I know the difference between squashed and un-squashed... his came back sounding anemic.

:eek:

I was really on their tail though and I am sure he spent extra time with my music.;) I mean, I was really on his case. Everyday!

They ended up doing a wonderful job.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

Great! SO you recommend them? The website is so bare bones looking, seems like the ideal solution for me though.

They did a fine job for me... but that was over a year ago.

Just go ahead and upload everything, and then order one copy to see if it's up to your standards. What have you got to lose?

• Members

Do you mail them a master disc? Seems that would be more reliable than uploading the audio.

Check out their website. The entire thing is completely automated. All Upload. Really, for less than $2/CD, just try it for yourself. :)

~M

• Members

Will do. What about the barcode? I see they will give you one but how do you get it on your design? My brother is a graphic artist and is designing the cd artwork.

I think the software that you download will step you through that process...

• Members

OK, wasn't sure since I don't have a PC. Will have to borrow my brother's...

Did you get a barcode from them?

When I did my last CD a couple of years ago, they supplied the bar-code, and it was free.

• Members

Do you mail them a master disc? Seems that would be more reliable than uploading the audio.

You need to have your project mastered to a CD that includes all the markers and such. Then you use their proprietary software to do a byte-by-byte rip of your master CD. I think you can verify the rip by using the ripped data to burn a CD so you can check for errors. The whole thing (including your artwork) is then uploaded to their servers. Order yourself ONE copy and make sure it is what you want; if not, just delete the project from Kunaki and start over.

Really... it's pretty straightforward.

• Members

I decided to get the UPS from CD baby so it can be placed in the artwork the way we want it. Also, any short run place will be CD-Rs. To get "pressed" CDs, you need replication which is usually 500 minimum units. If you need that much, great. But for most of us we don't need that much volume for selling at shows, etc.

• Members

We used TC for cd's and digital.

The cd's encountered problems with the artwork, TC said our files were corrupted. We had a professional graphic artist make them all, sent the issue on to him, he sent us back the files, then sent back to TC, they said still corrupted, and back and forth like this 4 times. Eventually TC said the file was good and everything was printed and done exactly as advertised, great price and quality. However, after talking with the graphic designer after-the-fact, he said he never changed anything about the file because he knew it wasn't corrupted, so something on TC's end was corrupted.

On digital, the user interface is extremely simple and friendly, had no problem uploading a digital booklet for download on itunes (as long as you contact support@tunecore.com BEFORE you pay). The price was right too. Sure, CDBaby is basically free, but if you accidentally sell 10,000 albums, you've lost alot of money in commission to CDBaby. With TC, the tracks were up at AmazonMP3 in less than 2 weeks. With Itunes, however, they say it averages 6 weeks, but our album just went live on Itunes last week, we submitted it in the first week of January !!!! According to our support representative, there was some undefined problem and he flagged the album for immediate upload to Itunes, and he got it up and running. So, the bad part is that some glitch occured and it took 4 months, the good part is that the customer service was timely and did a good job resolving the issue (once contacted), as well as comping us a half-year's dues, rather putting off our renewal date another 6 months.

That's my experience with Tunecore, I can't speak to CDBaby or Kunaki. However, we are reordering another run of CD's next week and I'll let yall know how easy/difficult that was for us.

• Members

I decided to get the UPS from CD baby so it can be placed in the artwork the way we want it. Also, any short run place will be CD-Rs. To get "pressed" CDs, you need replication which is usually 500 minimum units. If you need that much, great. But for most of us we don't need that much volume for selling at shows, etc.

Actually, 1000 is the lowest minimum order I've been able to find. Where do you get 500 'glass mastered' CD's printed?

That reminds me, when TC says they are 'high quality cdrs' they are correct, they are silver faced and so far we've had no problems with skipping or anything like that, our drummer listens to the album 4 times a day and it's been 6 months and his CD is still humming along nicely, stored on a sticky coffee table of stems and seeds. Can't ask for much more than that in a CD. And the printing was spot-on.

• Members

The thing is that you need to be realistic about the demand for your product; simply pressing 500-1000 copies of a CD doesn't mean that people are going to automatically line up to buy them... Unless you've already got a fan base of eager buyers holding their breath while waiting for your new release, you might want to jump into the shallow end of the pool for now.
;):cool:

Word. Even when you have everyone and their brother asking "when's the album coming out! Damn... I so want to get that!" it doesn't necessarily mean they'll buy it. You find out real quick how many of your 'fans' are actually 'fans' and who is just at the bar when you are playing that night having a good time. It's humbling. Hell, some of my favorite bands have come through town selling CD's over the years, I pay to get into the show, but suddenly I become a T-Rex at the merch table, signing the mailing list and scurrying back to the bar. And these are bands I actually like. I'm getting off on a tangent... sorry. Either way, don't press 500 CD's unless you are regularly packing places with 500 people. Because 1 in 20 will buy, if you are lucky. Hell, we played a big-shot hot-shit gig this week, benefit with $30 cover and all kinds of auctions and shit... compliment after compliment during breaks and after the show.... place was packed... should have sold 30-40 CD's.... right?

We sold 1.

Isn't that special? Like I said... if you are counting on each compliment to equal a CD sale, you are going to be disappointed. It's probably closer to 1:20 ratio.

• Members

Actually, 1000 is the lowest minimum order I've been able to find. Where do you get 500 'glass mastered' CD's printed?

That reminds me, when TC says they are 'high quality cdrs' they are correct, they are silver faced and so far we've had no problems with skipping or anything like that, our drummer listens to the album 4 times a day and it's been 6 months and his CD is still humming along nicely, stored on a sticky coffee table of stems and seeds. Can't ask for much more than that in a CD. And the printing was spot-on.

My first CD (2003) was done through Oasis - they did a run of 500 "pressed" CD's for around $1,000.

...but I really wouldn't recommend anyone go that route unless you already have a really good-sized fan-base anxiously waiting to give you money for your CD. Otherwise, make room in the closet for a bunch of plastic disks that no one wants to buy.

:cry:

:lol:

• Members

My first CD (2003) was done through Oasis - they did a run of 500 "pressed" CD's for around $1,000.

...but I really wouldn't recommend anyone go that route unless you already have a really good-sized fan-base anxiously waiting to give you money for your CD. Otherwise, make room in the closet for a bunch of plastic disks that no one wants to buy.

:cry:
:lol:

:lol:+1

Archived