On the subject of "humidity"

Marko

• Members

You are going to get links to the Taylor site and other articles that are good info on this problem. Any solid wood is going to be affected by humidity. Not to worry, taking care of it is easy and can be cheap. Make sure the guitar is properly humidified before doing any adjustments on it.

And, now I hand it off to you, FK.

Thanks.

Ray

• Members

OMG, Ray, am I that predictable?

OK, even in Ohio, if you heat your home you have humidity concerns - central heat/AC drys the air.

Each of my guitars has a cheap kitchen sponge in a baggie with holes punched in it. Every time I play it I moisten the sponge an put it in the head of the case. All winter.

I've just ordered a hygrometer - I figure since I'm so anal about everything else I really ought to measure RH too, but for 30 years I either used a Dampit, one of those little clay pot things or my sponges.

I'll add that when I built my 000 last year I really screwed it up by leaving it out on a stand for a month in March - top finish checked, action went to hell, fret ends would draw blood. I live in Washington where it does rain occassionally .

Last, here is Jean Larrivee's scare about humidity for any guitar made of wood

Everyone should bookmark this article on Humidity

back to you, Ray

• Members

Thanks, FK

I use a humidifier in the room with plenty of headroom. That is, a larger area coverage than my room actually is.

I also have hygrometers set up and around. One thing about those, though. If you are anal, you're going to find out everyone I have (about 3 of them) reads differently sitting next to one another. I just average them, kinda. It may be in my head, but I actually think the guitars sound a tinsy bit better when the humidity has been where I like to keep it. I shoot for the 45 to 55 percentile. They seem happiest there. The humidified air also makes it much more comfortable for me in the house, too. I love the humid conditions in Florida and really dry out and become uncomfortable in the N.E. during colder months. (which is most of them) Not to mention the static factor.

I have some soundhole hunidifiers that I have used in the past and will again if needed, they're fine for "in case" humidification, but I prefer the room approach.

• Members

Hey there learn'r - I don't see ya much on the political forum these days, of course lately I'm not wasting time there myself; got burned out on all that insanity.

Anyways, I just got a one-room humidifier for the bedroom and I'll keep them in there.

Thanks again for the great advice, friends. :wave:

• Members

I had a Seagul S6 for 8 years. It had a solid spruce top and laminate sides and back. I kept in the case when I wasn't playing it. I never used a humidifier (guitar or room). Never had a problem with humidity.

I live in Michigan.

Archived