Newb question

StratAttackJack

• Members

Sorry this probably gets asked a lot, but since I can't search, well you know...

I bought a martin d-15 mahagony back/sides spruce top version about a year ago. I mainly play electric and admit I haven't been taking good care of my acoustic (due to my habits of not taking good care of my electrics either) but I've noticed my fretboard looks like its starting to dry out higher up where I can't reach, and was wondering what I could put on it to make it look "healthier?" Thanks for the help. I've noticed the price on these have gone up some so I'm gonna baby it a little more.

• Members

I'm sure there are people here who will chime in with better responses, but I've heard the best thing for a rosewood fingerboard is a light application of almond oil.

I don't believe this is the same thing as almond extract. You should be able to get it at a health food store. My wife has some and I used just a few drops on an old t-shirt and rubbed it into the rosewood board of an old Gibson ukulele that seemed really dried out and it worked real well.

• Members

CF Martin does not recommend the use of lemon oil on their fretboards.

this, from their website...

"Can I use lemon oil on my fingerboard?

We do not recommend using lemon oil on our fingerboards. The acids in lemon oil break down the finish of our guitars. It may also aid the corrosion of the frets and lessen the life of the strings."

If you fail to care for your acoustic guitar properly it will self-destruct. It doesn't take a lot of work, and you don't need to baby them. Just a few simple guidelines.

It bears little resemblance to an electric guitar in terms of care and feeding.

Here's some recommended reading to help you protect your investment.

CF Martin Care and Feeding

Good luck, StratAttackJack!

• Members

Originally posted by Treborklow

Martin may not like lemon oil, but I've never heard of using anything else on any guitar. I've always used lemon oil and most guitar shops sell that as a fretboard cleaner.

Martin must know something they don't, Lol, hell I dunno. I'm not trying to clean my fretboard, I'm just trying to "rehydrate" it as its looking dryed out in some areas.

• Members

The issue with Martin and lemon type oils is that it CAN react with the finish. It has nothing to do with the fingerboard itself. Other guitars with catalyzed or UV finishes PROBABLY will not have the problems.

Many people, including Frank Ford, do use mineral oil

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenMaint/Cleaning/cleaning02.html

All I ever do is clean the fretboard with a moist cloth when I restring and once in a very great while take some 0000 steel wool to it.

• Members

Originally posted by Freeman Keller

The issue with Martin and lemon type oils is that it CAN react with the finish. It has nothing to do with the fingerboard itself. Other guitars with catalyzed or UV finishes PROBABLY will not have the problems.

Many people, including Frank Ford, do use mineral oil

All I ever do is clean the fretboard with a moist cloth when I restring and once in a very great while take some 0000 steel wool to it.

Mineral oil (basically baby oil) is my recommendation, though clearly Frank has far better credentials for this than I do! I've been using it for decades without any observable negative effects. I strongly discourage the use of vegetable oils (linseed being a prime example) because they can begin to decompose over time. Mineral oil, lemon oil, baby oil--all of them are distallates of petroleum with various additives. The more pure, the better.

Archived