I have to admit...some all-lam guitars are impressing me

EvilTwin

• Members

I played a Martin DXK2 yesterday, and I couldn't believe how good the guitar sounded. It definitely did not have the richness and depth of the D-28 and D-35 sitting next to it, but it had a GREAT upfront sound.

Even though it's high-pressure-laminate parading around with a picture of Koa on it, it actually sounded like a Koa guitar should (akin to mahogany, but airier).

I just can't understand why it costed $500 in that store. It's all-laminate and made in Mexico (that's what the label said; I didn't think any guitars baring the Martin decal were made outside of Nazreth). $300 to $350 seems reasonable to me.

Art & Lutherie makes great all-lam guitars, too.

I may end up with an all-lam guitar as a plug-in gig instrument. I never thought I'd say that.

• Members

I've wanted to play one of those Yamaha's for awhile, baba. They've developed quite a reputation.

I know that those guitars (DXM, DX-1, etc) used to be made in the USA but apparently no longer. I know that the little Martin Backpacker has been made in Mexico for awhile.

That just seems weird to me...the Martin name on an import (being sold at a fairly American price).

Can't argue with the feel and tone, though.

• Members

i hate to admit it, but i find my mate's intro model Valencia nylon strings enjoyable to play - fast and nicely-contoured neck, great action and sweet tone and attack to boot.

makes me wonder if solid-wood guitars are overrated. and i own a decent solid wood guitar.

but then again guitarcapo may be right (im not saying this because GC's avatar is hot), certain things age better than the other. not that ive seen a 80 year old laminate guitar.

• Members

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm impressed as HELL with my 33 year-old all laminate Takamine. It didn't always sound or handle well, and its construction has been questionable these past couple of years but with a little work it's really become a great guitar for leaving out and picking up on a whim. Since I put the JLD on it I think the tone has been much clearer and deeper. If I didn't nearly crack the bridge in half when I installed the JLD I'd seriously be thinking about putting a bone saddle on it.

• Members

I am going to look into a Hpl guitar. I would not expect it to sound high end, but I would hope it would be more consistant and less reactive to humidity.However is the bracing still spruce. I have heard some folks like the way laminate guitars amplify. I was interested in that cheap martin because of the wider neck. I will give it a look. Thanks for the heads up EvilTwin.

• Members

I am in the same boat as Neil. I have an all lam Yamaha classical that is pushing 30. It plays great, and sounds really good for what it is. It does not have the tone of my solid Alvarez, but it is more than passable. What I really like is not having to worry about it. It has been sorely neglected over it's life, and is none the worse for it. I prefer to play my Alvarez whenever possible, but would not want to be without the Yamaha either. I am always impressed with it's sound quality and volume when I pick it up, particularly when I see them going for $100 on eBay all the time. I should probably pick up another one.

• Members

I have a ten year old Epiphone PR-350CE,and I have to admit that it is a nice sounding guitar.If a guitar is well made,with age it will hold up. Even though it is my back up acoustic,it has played well since I bought.It hasn't had a proper set up in five years.

• Members

It's not that they don't sound good sometimes...they just don't open up and sound GREAT as they age.

Sorry, but this is not a true statement. My Carvin Cobalt C850 has laminated back and sides, and it has opened up and aged really well over the past couple of years. I now have a brand new one, and there is a difference. If you're looking for a great guitar, look into the Cobalt line. If you're hung up on laminate, then the c750 has solid mahogany back and sides. All for about $600 bucks shipped with a hardshell case.

• Members

by priority two guitars are on my short wish list.

1. all lam for abuse (campfire guitar)

2. high ender A/E cutaway

I sold my last laminate about 6 months ago and really miss it, though it did lack the depth of the solids.

My RH has been about 40% or less during this freeze out we are having here in Ohio .... my guitars hide out in there cases and I regret not having a less fickle battle axe - something that could sit out on a stand, overnight even ..... let alone (God forbid) go out for a gig or join me on the back deck this spring.

Maybe I should be more concerned about having a top quality lam during this GAS attack. I'll look into the Martin DXK2. Kinda hate that my first Martin would not be solid however.

• Members

Sorry, but this is not a true statement. My Carvin Cobalt C850 has laminated back and sides, and it has opened up and aged really well over the past couple of years. I now have a brand new one, and there is a difference. If you're looking for a great guitar, look into the Cobalt line. If you're hung up on laminate, then the c750 has solid mahogany back and sides. All for about $600 bucks shipped with a hardshell case.

I think he was talking about the Martin HPL models. Apples and oranges. :)

• Members

An all lam guitar, and one with lam back and sides BUT a solid top, are two completely different animals. The top is what really provides the majority of the sound and opens up.

• Members

This is a bit OT, but I just got the latest Taylor newspaper and it looks like they've started using laminate backs and sides for their 200 series guitars, which I assume had previously been solid wood.

Either way, I've never been a 100% believer in solid wood. I've played a few solid wood guitars that weren't so great and some laminates that were very nice. I've also play some wonderful guitars that weren't made out of wood at all.

• Members

my mom has an all laminate Montaya Dread from the 70's or so, and it sounds {censored}in great. I was actually at GC last night and I played a couple of the Martin HPLs. I was disgusted by the inability to hear the high E and B string when playing a C chord. it was gross, but the guitars look and feel nice. dual-edged sword fo sho.

• Members

I have seen quotes from some very well respected luthiers that, sound-wise, properly made laminate back and sides are just fine. More so if the money saved is put into the top, and other areas of construction that have more impact on the sound quality.

• Members

I have commented here before about how I did a GC visit one day a few months back, and fell in love with the Martin 00CXAE. Plugged and unplugged, it played and sounded better than most things I played that day. If it had block inlays (as opposed to no inlays!), I woulda taken it home. The whole thing (body) is HPL, without even the pretense of fake wood grain. Very basic black everything on the body. And the neck is awesome--kind of like those old Framus guitars with the stripey-plywood sandwich necks. I think the neck had no finish--not shiny. The thing played like a dream. I think it was $600.

• Members

This is a bit OT, but I just got the latest Taylor newspaper and it looks like they've started using laminate backs and sides for their 200 series guitars, which I assume had previously been solid wood.

Either way, I've never been a 100% believer in solid wood. I've played a few solid wood guitars that weren't so great and some laminates that were very nice. I've also play some wonderful guitars that weren't made out of wood at all.

I played a Taylor 210 at a Guitar Center and thought it sounded great.

My main axe is a Martin DR which has Rosewood laminate back and sides and it has really nice tone.

The 70s Yamaha guitars (like the FG180 Nippon Gakki) are laminates which have awesome sound.

• Members

I am going to look into a Hpl guitar. I would not expect it to sound high end, but I would hope it would be more consistant and less reactive to humidity.However is the bracing still spruce. I have heard some folks like the way laminate guitars amplify. I was interested in that cheap martin because of the wider neck. I will give it a look. Thanks for the heads up EvilTwin.

No prob. The bracing is actually quite interesting:

http://www.mguitar.com/guitars/features/bracing/index.html

Here's the usual suspect you'd see bracing a Martin top:

std_x_scalloped.jpg

And here's the X-Series bracing:

x_seriesx.jpg

(The "black boxes" indicate where graphite plates are used.)

I really would like to know what exactly the "high-pressure laminate" is that Martin uses. Other HPL's from industrial makers like Wilsonart and Formica have a variety of uses. I wonder if there's anything different about Martin's HPL, or if they're just using regular old countertop/floor-tile composite.

Archived