I can't play a regular F chord,without pain in my wrist.

KATMAN

• Members

Is this due to poor tecnique,or due to the fact I haven't played it in so long? It's not that I don't know how to,it's just the fact that since I learned barred chords I don't play a open F.Is this normal,or could I have other hand troubles?

• Members

I think you have hand troubles. Better get it checked out. F shouldn't hurt your wrist...it's kinda hard on the index finger for a beginner (or someone who has not played in a long time), especially with heavier strings, but I don't know why the wrist should be strained.

F was a bear to play on my plywood Kay all those years ago. Only reason I made myself learn it was because of "House of the Rising Sun".

• Members

Is this due to poor tecnique,or due to the fact I haven't played it in so long? It's not that I don't know how to,it's just the fact that since I learned barred chords I don't play a open F.Is this normal,or could I have other hand troubles?

where's the pain located?

just asking but, have you became to dependant on your thumb (vise grippin')?

• Members

All good advice. There are some chords that are problems for me. Have you tried a capo and transposing chords? A capo on the 3rd will allow an F to be played with a regular open D position. Also, drop D tuning will allow for an F to be played by covering just the E(now a D after droppin) and A strings at the 3rd fret.

However, there's really no hiding from bar chords forever though.

• Members

I think it's just a tough bar code to hit cleanly all the way across. It takes a lot of effort for me to nail it as well. The open version is even harder (for me anyway) So whenever possible I"ll play it as a power chord or play the open version without the high E. It works in many cases.

• Members

Open F was one of the first chords I learned (along with C and G), but when I got back to guitar a couple of years ago after not playing for a long time, it was the most difficult to play, and I still have trouble with it. As Terry suggested, wearing your guitar higher, or using a higher neck angle, takes some of the strain off your wrist. The gunslinger look is cool for a young guy, but wearing your guitar in front of your weinie restricts fret access, and is more of a problem as you get older and things start to stiffen up.

• Members

The pain is located right above the wrist. It feels better when I take off the watch,which is pretty heavy.Maybe that's it.

It's possible your watch band is too tight or something. Years ago I actually gave myself early carpal tunnel syndrome doing that .

I get something like a cramp in my left hand when I play a lot of barre chords. Probably something wrong with my technique(?) Last summer, I played a song I wrote called "The Light of the Morning," which is mainly Bm and G barred at the third fret. I was so glad it was only three verses. I would've probably needed a capo otherwise.

• Members

I don't know about all y'all, but it was when I was
younger
that things started to stiffen up.
:lol:

(apologies in advance)

Do you, by chance, remember the scene in the movie "Honeysuckle Rose", where Willie Nelson and Slim Pickens were reminiscing and one (Slim, I think) says, "Remember when we started out...all we had was a guitar and a hard-on..."

And the other (Willie, I think) answered, "Well, at least I still got my guitar!"... :lol:

• Members

I have the same pain sometimes. It is mild arthritis. I can't say that you have the same thing, but I can say that a guitar forum probably isn't the best place to seek medical advice.

I say, take a couple of pills and if the pain persists....call me.

I'm no expert, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

Archived