New Fingerstyle Guitar Mag issue is out

kwakatak

• Members
C'mon folks - nobody else gonna try and tackle some TE?
:confused:

Hell, I even gave up FingerStyle magazine a year or so ago (right after the Chet/Vincent article) - I couldn't play jack. I have a whole box of them in the basement along with the cd's - someone pay the postage and they are yours.

However, Neil, if you happen to have the one with Larry Pattis's "Big Mtn Sunrise" I would love a copy of the second page of the transcription - I've lost it and I love that song. It sounds pretty funny to just stop half way through 'cause I don't have the music.

• Members

I started up with FSG magazine at issue #50 - which is the issue right before you gave up on it - so I probably don't have that one, Freeman. Sorry!

There was a little while where the magazine was a bit dry but in recent months it's picked up a little. Now I look forward to the regular columns and transcriptions from Pete Huttlinger, Andrew York, and Rick Foster.

• Members

Hell, I even gave up FingerStyle magazine a year or so ago (right after the Chet/Vincent article) - I couldn't play jack. I have a whole box of them in the basement along with the cd's - someone pay the postage and they are yours.

Done. Name your price.

• Members

I subscribed about 60 days ago, but havent received my first issue yet.This would be a fine issue to start with though.

I bought the Endless Road book @ the TE concert here last month.

I've made all the necessary corrections and forwarded them to Tommy with notes on how it really should be played.

• Members

I buy Fingerstyle Magazine every onceinawhile. Like Freeman, FS music arrangements are way over my head. The last issue I purchased was No.54 Mr. Pete Huttlinger is on the cover. From that issue with help of my guitar teacher, I'm learning how to play Mr. Daniel Bruce arrangement of Gershwin "Embraceable You".

Trina

• Members
Don't overlook John Knowles Fingerstyle Quartley. No need to suscribe, he sells the back issues (with CD) for the same price as the subscription. His website has all the old issues, with a soundclip of each piece.

http://www.johnknowles.com/archives01.htm

What's the first thing I saw at Mr. John Knowles site? The late great Bill Evans "Waltz for Debby" song. :cool::)I ordered two back issues.Thanks Dave!

Trina

• Members
What's the first thing I saw at Mr. John Knowles site? The late great Bill Evans "Waltz for Debby" song.
:cool::)
I ordered two back issues.
Thanks Dave!

Trina

Trina,

My pleasure. Don't expect a "put your ring finger here" type of lesson. You get a very well written tab with chord and fingering, and a performance on the CD. He usually takes one piece per issue, and does a little talk on how he went about arranging it. AFAIK he just plays everything on a classical, so you won't see much demand for the left thumb. If you are a Vincent fan, check out his arrangement (issue #7). Chet's is the de facto standard, but I like John's better, though they were very good friends. For $15 including postage, it is a great deal. He ships promptly, except when he is on the road doing camps, but he will send you an email of when you can expect to get it. I truly don't know why I don't see his name here more often, except he is more of a teacher than performer, so I don't think many people get to see him live.

• Members

This isn't worth another thread, but I've been woodshedding on TE's "Lewis & Clark" and can get a couple of minutes into it.

Here's the MP3 version. I did a lot of doctoring of the original recording. The quality could be crisper for my tastes and the playing has a bunch of warts on it, but I was rushed this afternoon when I laid the track*. One thing's for sure - that OM sure has lots of bass for such a lil' geetar! :love:

http://media.putfile.com/LewisClark1-35

* hehe - I always wanted to say that! :D

• Members
This isn't worth another thread, but I've been woodshedding on TE's "Lewis & Clark" and can get a couple of minutes into it.

Here's the MP3 version. I did a lot of doctoring of the original recording. The quality could be crisper for my tastes and the playing has a bunch of warts on it, but I was rushed this afternoon when I laid the track*. One thing's for sure - that OM sure has lots of bass for such a lil' geetar!
:love:

http://media.putfile.com/LewisClark1-35

* hehe - I always wanted to say that!
:D

Pretty sounding guitar, is that a Larrivee? Mic'd or pick up?
Nice playing too:thu:

• Members

Pretty sounding guitar, is that a Larrivee? Mic'd or pick up?

Nice playing too:thu:

Guitar is mic'd with a Shure PG57. The mic was located 6" from the 12th fret, and canted 45 degrees toward the soundhole.

After I did the recording, I did a lot of fiddling with it in Audacity and Reaper. Believe it or not, it started as a single mono track with lots of hiss. I was able to clean it up and convert it to stereo in Audacity and used Reaper to run the reverb filter (during playback which Audacity won't do) and export to WAV and MP3 formats.

As for the playing, I'm hoping to pick up the rest of the song when time permits. I like the song. It kind of reminds me of Dire Straits' "Telegraph Road", especially in the beginning.

• Members

nice job, Kwak. I dig this tune, too & I hear the similarities to Telegraph Road, also.

Your playing is very nice, and you've done a good job of negotiating Audacity, which I have all but given up on. Instead I'm going to place the Samson USB condenser mic in front of this little Vox 15w practice amp (where I can better control volume and reverb) and go direct into audacity from there.

You're picking just gets better & better.

OT: Since you are in the Pittsburgh area, and I think that you are a Pete Huttlinger fan, I see that he is playing with Tony Rice on April 1st @ The Fur Peace Ranch; Jorma's guitar camp in SE Ohio, not too far away from you. (FYI)

• Members

nice job, Kwak. I dig this tune, too & I hear the similarities to Telegraph Road, also.

Your playing is very nice, and you've done a good job of negotiating Audacity, which I have all but given up on. Instead I'm going to place the Samson USB condenser mic in front of this little Vox 15w practice amp (where I can better control volume and reverb) and go direct into audacity from there.

You're picking just gets better & better.

OT: Since you are in the Pittsburgh area, and I think that you are a Pete Huttlinger fan, I see that he is playing with Tony Rice on April 1st @ The Fur Peace Ranch; Jorma's guitar camp in SE Ohio, not too far away from you. (FYI)

Thanks, queequeg. I thought the thread was doomed to page two. I'd like to see some other folks try this one. It isn't that hard once you train your thumb to do the alternating bass line. They're doing something similar over at APM with a Pierre Bensusan tune.

As for Audacity, don't give up on it. I use it as an editor only now that I've discovered Reaper. For example, I use it to remove unwanted noise and play with the signal strength. Then I take it over to Reaper because then I can apply the reverb while listening to the playback, instead of relying on Audacity's clunky listen to sample snippet.

Archived