Spent the day at GC - made a few discoveries !!!

Tony Burns

• Members

In regards to what someone earlier said about some retail shops getting better instruments...

I live about 1-1/2 hours from FQMS in Louisville. I have NEVER played a dead guitar in there. Maybe it's because they set every one up, maybe it's because on any number of factors. But I've NEVER played a dead guitar in that shop. I've played guitars I didn't like the sound of, but that's subjective. They weren't dead. I've gone to GCs and Sam Ashes where there wasn't a good guitar on the wall.

Nate

Pretty obvious isn't it Nate...a good store takes care of their inventory and in turn, the inventory takes good care of them and their customers. GC's are meat markets and I predict they'll do themselves in eventually.

I have to give Martin some credit after having bashed them a bit in my previous post here. I went to a nice store last Sat....Pianos N Stuff in the Pittsburgh burb of Blawnox,PA....and played about a dozen Martins including 2 D-18GE's and a great sb 000-18 GE that I'm lusting after NOW! Also, a nice D-28 and D-41 Special.

I'll eat crow because the ones I mentioned were all great. There were some so-so ones like the Clapton and Mayer 000/0M's and the D-18,000-28 etc. but all were pretty good. Some do look kinda cheap....the D-18 for example with the black pg and binding and washed out mahogany. Putting tortise binding and pg on those would just liven them up so much and not cost any or much difference I'd think.

Anyway, just giving credit where due.

• Members
You been reading a lot of James Ellroy lately? A kind of hard-boiled poetry, those first two paragraphs of yours.
:thu:

Yeah, but Ellroy was no apostrophe criminal.

But back to the topic: If you're unimpressed with the quality or value of the stuff hanging on the wall at GC, do what I do--buy old guitars!

• Members
Pretty obvious isn't it Nate...a good store takes care of their inventory and in turn, the inventory takes good care of them and their customers. GC's are meat markets and I predict they'll do themselves in eventually.

I have to give Martin some credit after having bashed them a bit in my previous post here. I went to a nice store last Sat....Pianos N Stuff in the Pittsburgh burb of Blawnox,PA....and played about a dozen Martins including 2 D-18GE's and a great sb 000-18 GE that I'm lusting after NOW! Also, a nice D-28 and D-41 Special.

I'll eat crow because the ones I mentioned were all great. There were some so-so ones like the Clapton and Mayer 000/0M's and the D-18,000-28 etc. but all were pretty good. Some do look kinda cheap....the D-18 for example with the black pg and binding and washed out mahogany. Putting tortise binding and pg on those would just liven them up so much and not cost any or much difference I'd think.

Anyway, just giving credit where due.

Hey, I know that place! Where's that in relation to Pants N'at? ;)

Seriously, I went there once with a friend and the upstairs acoustic room blew me away. My local Martin dealer is Empire Music down in Mt. Lebanon. He's got a HD-35 that I love - the problem is that the owner knows that but my jealous wife doesn't! :o

Archived