Acoustic-Electric with good built-in pickup for $1000

Grayson73

• Members

I'm looking for an upgrade to my Fender DG-22CE acoustic-electric. I need a guitar with really good electronics because I mainly play plugged in (strumming) at church through the PA system.

I do like Taylors, but I've read that the 400 series is what you'd want and that's over the price range.

Would the Larrivee L-03E be what I'm looking for? Any other suggestions?

• Members

I'm looking for an upgrade to my Fender DG-22CE acoustic-electric. I need a guitar with really good electronics because I mainly play plugged in (strumming) at church through the PA system.

I do like Taylors, but I've read that the 400 series is what you'd want and that's over the price range.

Would the Larrivee L-03E be what I'm looking for? Any other suggestions?

Taylor has just redone their whole model lineup into pure acoustic (no cutaway) and acoustic/electrics (with cuts) - I think their website now shows the changes You could also easily find a used 3xxCE or 4xxCE in your price range (the xx is the body size - 10 is a dread, 12 a GC, 14 a GA). I think my wife paid under $800 for my 314 and a p/u would be less than 200 more.

I was also kind of impressed by the Carvin 980 that I played plugged in, but I thought is was pretty lackluster unplugged (less than a grand, laminated rose b/s, small jumbo size, slim fast neck, Fishman, nice features and finish).

Unless you want primarily an amplified sound many people will suggest getting the best acoustic you can within your budget and adding a pickup - there was a very good article in Acoustic Guitar mag last fall on the options (google AG mag, find the issue with the chrome resonator on the cover, read on line).

• Members

I'm not a subscriber to the mag so I can't read the article
:(

Wouldn't it be more cost effective to buy an acoustic-electirc rather than buying an acoustic, pickup and hiring a luthier to install the pickup?

Sorry, you used to be able to.

Yes, if you can find exactly what you want, which is why Taylor is doing what they are (most electric players also want a cutaway, most pure acoustic players don't). However, some people feel that one kind of pickup, say a K&K Pure, sounds better than something else, maybe a Fishman ust (Martin installs the Fishman, but lots of people prefer the K&K). You would think that Taylor would choose a really good p/u for their guitar, but the early ES were nothing but trouble (Taylor did fix them and the current ones are better).

I personally hate the big old barn doors that have to be cut in the side of a beautiful piece of rosewood for some electronics - the Taylor ES is much more tasteful as are the ones with controls in the soundhole. It also seems like often when you add the pickup and cutaway something else is taken away to keep the price point. The Carvin is a good example - somewhere around 800 or 900 dollars, but it is laminated and frankly was pretty mediocre to my ears unplugged. My $800 (used) T314 blew it away and I can always add a pickup.

So, again, if you can find what you like with the sound you want, more power to you. However setting out to buy just an A/E really limits your choices and it is so easy to add aftermarket.

• Members

Saw two recommendations for Takamine. Any particular models?

I'd actually prefer buying used to get more guitar for the money. I'll look for Larrivee, Epiphone Masterbilt, Taylor 4xx series, and Guild GAD. Any others to look for?

• Members

Yamaha CPX900 ~ $849

http://www.acousticguitar.com/article/171/171,7473,NEWGEAR-1.asp

Parkwood PW360M

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Cort/PW-360M+Parkwood/10/1

Parkwood PW370M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AmKLob_szo&feature=PlayList&p=EADC5D043DEADF3B&index=0

All three I've listed, are fine guitars. You couldn't go wrong with either of them. IMHO

Here's the article Freeman was speaking of: "The ABCs of Amplification"

http://www.acousticguitar.com/article/165/165,7096,FEATURE-1.asp

If you can't access the A.G. magazine articles let me know ...... when I get home, I'll give you the password(s). Cheers.

Trina

• Members

Saw two recommendations for Takamine. Any particular models?

I'd actually prefer buying used to get more guitar for the money. I'll look for Larrivee, Epiphone Masterbilt, Taylor 4xx series, and Guilad GAD. Any others to look for?

Slightly out of your price range, but you said used was an option.

This one has solid bearclaw spruce and solid rosewood back and sides.

Also, the cool tube preamp. Somebody at my open-mic has one like this (I think) and I was flat blown away by it's tone going straight to the PA, no Aura, No Mama Bear.. just straight to the board.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Takamine-TAN15C-Supernatural-Series-AcousticElectric-Guitar-with-Cool-Tube-Preamp?sku=516290

• Members

The high end Takamines with CTP1 cool tube are actually the best plugged in and make your instrument stand out. I have a martin and Taylor which I love but didn't do it for as far as plugged in sound. So couple of months ago I bought a takamine and what a diffrence. Very powerful and the cool tube makes it powerful. But I have to sell this one for now. This definitely in your price range so let me know if you are interested.

Takamine Tan16 Koa w/CTP1 Cool Tube.

• Members

Thanks. I will definitely check out the Takamine TAN15 and TAN16. I assume that any of the TAN , TF, or TNV series would be good because they all have the CTP-1 and that the CTP-1 is better than the CT-4B.

AThomas, so why are you selling the Takamine and keeping the Taylor and Martin?

• Members

Besides those mentioned the Washburn Cumberland/elec is great for strumming.One thing though.There seems to be a problem with the volume control.It works but you have to turn it at least half way up to hear anything.Not sure if it can be corrected.This seems to be a common problem in the reviews I've come across and on the one I had as well.But it does sound real nice and all the other controls work properly from full up/down.

• Members

I have a C850. I use it to lead worship at church. I've compared it to Taylors, Martins, Ibanez, and I own a really nice Takamine. For the money, NOTHING comes even close to the sound quality of my Carvin. Sounds great through both of our sound systems, and the Fishman preamp is awesome.

Amazing. The C850T is $639, so it's hard to believe that it beat out guitars 2-3x the price. Unfortunately, I'm in Maryland so there's no way to try it out.

What made the sound quality stand out?

• Members

I have a Carvin C980T electric/acoustic as well. I'm very pleased with this

guitar. The Fishman pickup/preamp system that came with my guitar, is

one of the best that you can get with an off the shelf acoustic/electric.

It offers a lot of tonal flexibility, and very good feedback supression. The

Carvin Colbalt guitars and Guitar Center's Parkwood guitars, are all built by

the Cort guitar company in korea. If you are considering these, you might

also like to comapre them to some standard Cort guitars. Here's some

examples:

http://www.drclucks.net/fusemain.cfm?section=xpic&itemnumber=844

http://www.drclucks.net/fusemain.cfm?section=xpic&itemnumber=861

• Members

Amazing. The C850T is $639, so it's hard to believe that it beat out guitars 2-3x the price. Unfortunately, I'm in Maryland so there's no way to try it out.

What made the sound quality stand out?

Understand, I am saying that for the difference in price, I could not tell enough difference to pay an extra $1200 for a Taylor when the Carvin put out such sweet tones. Gibsons, Taylors, and the like are great guitars, but are insanely overpriced. IMO, you are mainly paying an extra $1000 for the name on the headstock.

Hey, I'm no where near California, so I didn't go check out the Carvins at the Carvin headquarters. They have a 10 day return policy, so just order one and try it out. You don't have anything to lose!

• Members

Yamaha CPX900 ~ $849

Parkwood PW360M

Parkwood PW370M

All three I've listed, are fine guitars. You couldn't go wrong with either of them. IMHO

Here's the article Freeman was speaking of:
"The ABCs of Amplification"

If you can't access the A.G. magazine articles let me know ...... when I get home, I'll give you the password(s). Cheers.

Trina

Need a password.

• Members

I played a 2006 Fender Ensenada Series Dres with the Fishman Ellipse VT pickup system. The acoustic tone was very well balanced and note separation and sustain were great. I would put it in the middle between Taylor type tone and Martin.

All solid wood, Grover vintage-style open tuners, also comes with an ebony fretboard and bridge. The Fishman system does make for a heavier guitar. I did not have a chance to plug it in...yet. It was priced around 800 bucks with a case.

• Members

Thanks. I will definitely check out the Takamine TAN15 and TAN16. I assume that any of the TAN , TF, or TNV series would be good because they all have the CTP-1 and that the CTP-1 is better than the CT-4B.

AThomas, so why are you selling the Takamine and keeping the Taylor and Martin?

Hey,

Sorry for the delayed response. I was away for work this past week. The reason I am selling the Takamine is cause i don't want to hold onto three guitars. I use my Martin DC-1E for those unplugged times and travelling internationally, it is my work horse. The Taylor 414ce-L10 has the name, it has been with me for a while and moreover i don't play plugged in much anymore. The times I do I can work around the ES. But the cool tube is definitely a must have if you are doing mostly plugged in work. It has a tuner, you know when the battery dies out and it definitely stands out. The only disadvantage is that it drinks a lot of battery. Unplugged the Martin and the Taylor sounds better and that's what my decision was based on.

Archived