acoustic string height in regards to tone?

vchizzle1

• Members

so I've been debating on lowering the string height on my Larrivee D-03 walnut. just a touch. I don't find it uncomfortable really, just wouldn't mind it being a little lower.

so my question is whether lower it will affect the tone of the guitar much? I don't want to change the sound at all. I've read they set the action a little higher on purpose. I find its fine at the nut, just a tad high around the 9th fret on up. so I figured sanding a bit off the bottom of the bridge would do the trick.

what do you guys think?

• Members

Lower = thinner tone

Higher = fatter tone

Too High = muddy

arrgh. that's what I'm afraid of...thinner. I'm not sure I would lower it enough for it to make that huge of a difference, but none the less, I hate to risk it.

has anyone lowered theirs a little bit without see a MAJOR change?

• Members

arrgh. that's what I'm afraid of...thinner. I'm not sure I would lower it enough for it to make that huge of a difference, but none the less, I hate to risk it.

has anyone lowered theirs a little bit without see a MAJOR change?

It sounds like your trying to get an acoustic to play like an electric. The bottom line is that an acoustic is a competly different animal. My action is higher than most. I concider it medium hight.

• Members

I use to own a Larrivee L-03 along with a dozen other guitars and ive lowered the action on all of them and I mean low and the only difference I ever could tell is the tone is the same but they dont seem to be as loud. And the change is not much.

• Members

Judging by the info you supplied, you are talking about lowering the action by 1/64" to 1/32". Unless you have ears like a dog, you will never hear the difference.

Trust me. I lowered the action on numerous guitars including 2 Larrivee's with no ill effects.

• Members

Judging by the info you supplied, you are talking about lowering the action by 1/64" to 1/32". Unless you have ears like a dog, you will never hear the difference.

Trust me. I lowered the action on numerous guitars including 2 Larrivee's with no ill effects.

+1, I've heard it said so many times that higher action = more volume, but it must take a huge change in the action. I dropped the action on my Gallagher (which came with so-called "bluegrass" action from the factory) from 9/64" on the low E to 6/64", and I hear no difference at all...maybe if I had a DB meter, but nobody I know walks around with one of those when they're listening to someone play.

• Members

I think it has to do with lowering the action reducing the break angle. Theoretically, it makes a difference but in the real world a few degrees of break angle isn't going to make much difference. My Alvarez beater probably has a break angle of lesss than 20 degrees for the high E but it still sounds okay to me. If you're really concerned, have the bridge ramped at the same time you're having the action lowered.

• Members

so my question is whether lower it will affect the tone of the guitar much?

lowering the saddle means less torque on the top which can mean a change in tone, but not always. try it with your guitar and see. a small change is usually fine.

• Members

It sounds like your trying to get an acoustic to play like an electric. The bottom line is that an acoustic is a competly different animal. My action is higher than most. I concider it medium hight.

not at all. besides, my electrics are strung 12-60 gauge strings(1 step down) and my action isn't low. most people complain when they play my electrics.

• Members

ok, that's good to hear.

that's exactly the amount I'm talking about...1/32 at MOST.

is this something I should do myself or take it to a shop. I'm typically a DIY sorta guy(with my electrics at least) and do all my set-ups myself. I did sand down one on an old beater acoustic a long time ago and it was fine. but I'd like it done fairly accurately with my Larry and not just guess work. what's the proper procedure? I'll research acoustic setup and repair a bit...maybe Dan Erlewine? I had a book by him.

if I take it to a shop, how much is a fair price to pay for this. the guitar is only a few months old, so it shouldn't need much else besides a truss rod tweak maybe.

• Members

http://www.frets.com has an excellent tutorial on acoustic guitar setup.

The truss rod shouldn't be used for action adjustments. It is only to adjust neck relief. Once the proper amount of neck relief is dialed in, you can adjust the string height at the saddle. As a rule, most new guitars also need adjustment at the nut. That's probably the MOST critical adjustment for playability.

And for the record, an adjustment of 1/16 at the twelfth fret WILL change the tone drastically in most cases.

• Members

ok, that's good to hear.

that's exactly the amount I'm talking about...1/32 at MOST.

is this something I should do myself or take it to a shop. I'm typically a DIY sorta guy(with my electrics at least) and do all my set-ups myself. I did sand down one on an old beater acoustic a long time ago and it was fine. but I'd like it done fairly accurately with my Larry and not just guess work. what's the proper procedure? I'll research acoustic setup and repair a bit...maybe Dan Erlewine? I had a book by him.

if I take it to a shop, how much is a fair price to pay for this. the guitar is only a few months old, so it shouldn't need much else besides a truss rod tweak maybe.

I'll chime in and say that 1/32 shouldn't be noticeble in tone, but sure will in the way it plays. If the git is that new most shops will do a setup for you and it is about the right time to do it. Normal cost is somewhere around 35 bucks (an hours labor) plus parts (new strings). A good tech will watch you play, ask you what you like and don't like, measure it before doing any work and after so you have a reference. They should measure the relief, take a quick look at the nut (probably OK), and finally the saddle. Make sure the humidity is stable before you take it in.

Then enjoy your easier to play and great sounding guitar.

• Members

I'll chime in and say that 1/32 shouldn't be noticeble in tone, but sure will in the way it plays. If the git is that new most shops will do a setup for you and it is about the right time to do it. Normal cost is somewhere around 35 bucks (an hours labor) plus parts (new strings). A good tech will watch you play, ask you what you like and don't like, measure it before doing any work and after so you have a reference. They should measure the relief, take a quick look at the nut (probably OK), and finally the saddle. Make sure the humidity is stable before you take it in.

Then enjoy your easier to play and great sounding guitar.

ok, that's kinda what I expected price-wise, thanks!

Archived