Today's Word: Oo-koo-LAY-LAY

T.B.

• Members

That's right UKULELE is pronounced Oo-koo-LAY-LAY not "Oo-ka-LAY-LEE". In Hawaiian the word means, "jumping flea", referring to the speed of a player's fingers on the strings. The Chicago Tribune had a nice little front page write up about Ukulele's and their growing popularity. The inaugural 'Chicagoland Ukulele Jam Festival' was held Sat. in Maywood IL.(western suburb of Chicago) The festival consisted of concerts, workshops, and laua style food and drink. The Tribune article wrote of Chicago once being the largest manufacturer of the instrument, (in the early 20th century) producing 95 percent of ukuleles made outside Hawaii. At the time, there were four companies in Chicago manufacturing the instrument. Sears bought Harmony Co. in hopes of cornering the market. Of the four Chicago company's who manufactured ukuleles only Lyon & Healy remains, making only harps. Now that I've given more information than you've every wanted to know about the ukulele ..............:blah: I definitely have plans to attend next years fest.

Trina

• Members

Trina,

I suffer from obsessive-compulsive disorder. Now I'm gonna be going around the next few days going "oo-koo LAY-LAY". :D

oo-koo-LAY-LAY

oo-koo-LAY-LAY

:D

• Members

Anyone remember Arthur Godfrey playing ukulele?

Anyone remember Arthur Godfrey?

Dang, I'm old.

Yep. The article mentioned Mr. Godfrey as being a catalyst for the ukuleles popularity during the 40's. Ukulele players blame the late Tiny Tim for the instruments decline in the 60's. Poor Tiny Tim never got any respect. It's my understanding SpongeBob Square- Pants is a uke-strummer.:D

Trina

P.S. Here's the website for Lyon & Healy and Lyon & Healy Hall. I've been to a copula concerts at L&H Hall, I've heard some amazing musicians and concerts. Hey, it's all in the string family. ;)

http://www.lyonhealy.com/index.htm

http://www.lyonhealy.com/aboutHall.htm

• Members

Dang, I'm old.

Yup. Remember Julius LaRosa? Haleloke? His announcer, Tony Marvin?

And the time he buzzed Teterboro, NJ airport tower?

Drat, I'm older....

Seriously, Godfrey supposedly triggered a massive ukulele revival for a while in the mid '50s. I was only a kid at the time, but I always thought he was a jerk.

• Members

Dang, I'm old.

Yup, I remember my mother listing to his radio program, probably sometime in the late 50's. Didn't he fire LaRosa on the air with something like "well, that's Julie's swan song"?

• Members

Dang, I'm old.

Darn it Krash , your an old Fart - you can now join our OLD Fart Guitar Club - the OFGC - I remember him playing the Four string tenor guitar , which you dont see any more - as a matter of fact i have a couple of 4 string banjos that will come back into fashion any day now , but im not holding my breath !

Archived