Easy Acoustic Standards?

u6crash

• Members

I need to learn some new songs. They don't have to be painfully easy, but they should be the kind of song that sounds good with one guitar and vocals. I'm sure these threads come up all the time, so forgive me if you're bored to tears reading this. Thanks!

• Members

If you're talking strumming, with maybe some bass string runs, try these:

Proud Mary - Creedence Clearwater
Peaceful Easy Feeling - The Eagles
Tequila Sunrise - The Eagles
Southern Cross - CSNY
Wild Horses - Rolling Stones
Helpless - Neil Young
Country Roads - John Denver
Layla - Eric Clapton
Sweet Melissa - The Allman Brothers
Everybody's Talkin' - Fred Neil, but most people remember Harry Nilson's version on the soundtrack of Midnight Cowboy
Pancho & Lefty - Willie Nelson (I like Emmylou Harris's version better)

While these aren't very contemporary, they have the advantage that most people across all age groups will recognize them. If you want stuff that's more recent, you might look to guys like Dave Matthews and John Mayer (not really a fan of either, except for Mayer's Continuum CD).

If you're looking for fingerstyle stuff, let us know.

• Members

"Alice's Restaurant"

Lots of words to remember, but easy to play, sing and give your own slant to it.

Just discovered while noodling this today that its the same chord progression as Red Hot - so it two for the price of one

Phil

• Members

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm embarrassed that I have only heard a few of these, but I'm not at all oppossed to discovering some new tunes.

Some of those mentioned are exactly what I was looking for, but I just draw a blank sometimes, you know?

• Members
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm embarrassed that I have only heard a few of these, but I'm not at all oppossed to discovering some new tunes.

Some of those mentioned are exactly what I was looking for, but I just draw a blank sometimes, you know?

When that happens to me, I usually look the song/artist up on YouTube. With both YouTube and a good tab, learning isn't as hard as it could be. :)

• Members
Just discovered while noodling this today that its the same chord progression as Red Hot - so it two for the price of one

You can add pencil thin mustash to the list to except for the bridge.....

another good acoustic song is nobody knows you when you're down and out. Turn the page works well too. Even crazy dreams by los lonley boys works. What it comes down to ,,, is that most songs that have decent lyrics and a good chorus ,, can be done as a solo acoustic ... if you have the voice to pull it off. A ton of rock music lives and breaths on the vocals.... back it up with a good acoustic rhythm and you got a winner. rat

Archived