Zoom H4 easy recording

flip333

• Members

I got my Zoom H4 recorder out today. Pretty easy to use with decent results. Lots of flexibility for various recording projects.

I just set it down about 3 feet from my guitar and mouth and press a button.

It records an mp3 that you can copy to your computer for editing with your program of choice. I have Audacity. I added a little delay, compression, and EQ.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=621602

Choose "flip's home". Thanks for listening.

flip

• Members

Thank you.

Well there is lots to learn about it. When you get it set up the way you like, then yes.

Turn it on. Hit the record once to see your levels. Hit it again to engage recording. When your done, hit the button again to turn it off.

For your next song, repeat the above. It will record separate mp3's each time.

• Members

Yea, being a hand held unit, it is very easy to take along anywhere.

I like using the built in stereo condenser mic, but since its stereo you could plug two channels into each of the additional line (instrument) level inputs. The input levels can be adjusted.

I use my crappy computer speakers as monitor speakers to "master" the final mp3 with EQ, compression, and delay .... might have to see about nicer (real) monitor speakers....

I see in the recording forum, people really spend a lot of money on high quality equipment like an addiction... must be like GAS...

• Members

If you are just interested in straight recording, you might want to look at the soon-to-be-released Zoom H2. It will be $100 less than the H4 and has selectable recording patterns -- 90 degrees, 120 degrees, and 360 degrees in surround-sound. It won't work as a multitrack recoding unit, and it doesn't have the xlr inputs with phantom power for external mics, but it really looks interesting for a hand-held recorder. And its UI looks a lot cleaner than the H4's -- easy enough to accomplish on a device that isn't intended to be all things in a hand-held. It isn't out yet, so I haven't heard it. I hope that it will sound as good as the H4, in which case I'll probably pick one up. Samson describes it here: http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1916&brandID=4

FWIW

• Members

OGP, I think the quality it can produce is better than my sample. I'll have to try some recordings with less production which I am not very good at.

Thanks for your generous positive comments. Fortunately, I don't have any illusions about my low level of talent. I still love the guitar though. :)

Hey Stack, you will have to get a decent sized SD card to record any lengthy intervals. I got a 2Gb card that does everything I want. I found the mp3 level of recording is the minimum quality I can stand, and also the level that gives long recording times for gigs.

The wav level is even higher quality but with shorter recording times.

Also, I have a Sony digital camera that uses a memory stick duo. If I needed to ever download my pictures where that stick was not accepted, I could put all my pictures on the H4 into the SD card, since it can serve as an external drive.

For those who really want to get into it, it is also a 4 track recorder with effects, compression, limiting, ect...

• Members

Hey Stack, you will have to get a decent sized SD card to record any lengthy intervals. I got a 2Gb card that does everything I want. I found the mp3 level of recording is the minimum quality I can stand, and also the level that gives long recording times for gigs.

Thanks! I actually added that one to my order. Even checked the Zoom site for compatability!

Archived