Thanksgiving 1965 - Alice's Restaurant Massacree"

Freeman Keller

• Members

Any Michelle Shocked fans out there will know the song,
Yamboree Queen
, from her
Short Sharp Shocked
CD. There's a wonderful intro to this tune. It's a live recording, and she even begins with, "No, its not Alice's Restaurant"

Yams, or sweet potatoes, also being something of a Thanksgiving traditional dish in our family.

Admirers of Arlo and Alice's Restaurant will appreciate this tune as well.

Big Michelle Shocked fan here (and to stay on topic, "Alice's Restaurant" too). "Anchored Down in Anchorage" is my favorite on that album. I really, really like Arkansas Traveler. "Come A Long Way" is my wife and my favorite to play through our helmet headsets on our touring bike.

Isn't she coming to the Ark soon?

• Members

Hey! Freeman!

Doesn't it look like a Yammie FG150 on this nice clip?

It sure does, but when I looked at the clip of him doing Carolina on My Mind the headstock doesn't look quite like a Yamie. But I think you are right - the shape of the upper bout has the squared off look of an FG150. Calling Baba or T.B. - we have a sighting and need confirmation.

• Members

It sure does, but when I looked at the clip of him doing Carolina on My Mind the headstock doesn't look quite like a Yamie. But I think you are right - the shape of the upper bout has the squared off look of an FG150. Calling Baba or T.B. - we have a sighting and need confirmation.

Ah, I didn't see that clip. Yeah, the top of the headstock isn't right, it's too flat. and the truss rod cover doesn't seem to be there.

• Members

In the "About This Video" section it says it's a vintage Martin 00-18.
Very very nice tone :thu:

• Members

It looks an awful lot like one, but I don't think it is one. The FG-150 had the truss rod adjustment port in the headstock as far as I know. They were made 1966-72: Based on the dates of manufacture and the difference between the FG340 and the FG340 II, I don't think they started putting the truss rod adjustment access in the soundhole until around 1980.

But, as with most things, I cold be wrong.

• Members

I'm a big Arlo fan - seen him about 20 times and that's no exaggeration. The first few times I saw him the the 80's he didn't do Alice but he's been doing it in concert for years now. Every time I've seen him since the early 90's he's played it. Even last year on the family reunion tour where he did a lot of his father's songs he still did Alice. He usually uses it after intermission to start the second set.

It's available in a few versions. He re-recorded the Alice's album in the 90's. The sound quality is great and it has the narrative about Richard Nixon. It also appears on the cd recorded in Australia last year - I think it's Live Down Under.

BTW - I just watched the DVD of Alice's Restaurant last night. My favorite option is to play it with Arlo's commentary. I know all the lines in the move so it's great to watch the story while listening to Arlo's recollections of the various scenes and making the movie. If you get the chance, check it out.

• Members
It looks an awful lot
one, but I don't think it
is
one. The FG-150 had the truss rod adjustment port in the headstock as far as I know. They were made 1966-72: Based on the dates of manufacture and the difference between the FG340 and the FG340 II, I don't think they started putting the truss rod adjustment access in the soundhole until around 1980.

But, as with most things, I cold be wrong.

:lol::poke:...I guess you didn't read my previous post Baba...please take a look at the video for "Carolina on My Mind". It says it's a "vintage Martin 00-18"

OGP :)

• Members
:lol:
:poke:...I guess you didn't read my previous post Baba...please take a look at the video for "Carolina on My Mind". It says it's a "vintage Martin 00-18"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GJEhiooakQ

OGP
:)

OK then. I will bet you dollars to donuts that Yamaha intentionally modeled the FG-150 after the Martin 00-18. (My FG-340 is modeled after the Martin D-35)

• Members
OK then. I will bet you dollars to donuts that Yamaha intentionally modeled the FG-150 after the Martin 00-18. (My FG-340 is modeled after the Martin D-35)

Yes...Yamaha definately had the Martin 0018 in mind when they made the FG-150 as I too thought it was one until I saw the other video saying it was a Martin. It's amazing how well those Yamaha old FG series guitars have held up years after they where built.

Anyhow...back to Arlo...;)

• Members

As I understand it, it was Arlo who gave Steve Goodman his big break. Supposedly, Steve walked up to Arlo in a bar and asked if he could play him a song. Arlo reportedly replied that he could buy him a beer and that he would listen as long as the beer lasted. Steve bought the beer, played City of New Orleans and the rest, as they say, is history.

• Members

It was in Fingerstyle mag a few years ago. I learned it maybe 25 years ago. I'm surprised at how many of you relate to this little ditty. And Queequeg, I am one huge Michelle Shocked fan (and Arlo, too, obviously)

OK, here, I've opened the back door

Is it humanly possible to memorize that thing?

• Members

As I understand it, it was Arlo who gave Steve Goodman his big break. Supposedly, Steve walked up to Arlo in a bar and asked if he could play him a song. Arlo reportedly replied that he could buy him a beer and that he would listen as long as the beer lasted. Steve bought the beer, played City of New Orleans and the rest, as they say, is history.

Thats a great story.

Around 86' or so Willie was really setting everybody on fire. I saw him on a live HOB special and he did City of New Orleans. Steve had only died a year or two earlier, and I could not believe that Willie did not even mention his name. I am a huge Willie fan, but I never forgot that, I was pissed.

• Members

That's how Arlo tells it. In fact, Arlo says he had finished playing in a club in Chicago, was tired, and didn't feel like listening to anybody. He figured he'd let this guy buy him a beer, play a song or two, and that would be it. It turned out like you said: Steve Goodman/City of New Orleans and he was blown away by it.

My favorite version is of this song is by Arlo on the Steve Goodman tribute cd. Lots of good music there by many other people, too.

• Members

That's how Arlo tells it. In fact, Arlo says he had finished playing in a club in Chicago, was tired, and didn't feel like listening to anybody. He figured he'd let this guy buy him a beer, play a song or two, and that would be it. It turned out like you said: Steve Goodman/City of New Orleans and he was blown away by it.

My favorite version is of this song is by Arlo on the Steve Goodman tribute cd. Lots of good music there by many other people, too.

Arlo's comments are documented on STeve Goodman's live dvd at Austin City Limits....I highly recommend owning it....also, Clay Eals 800 page biography of Steve Goodman...I have a signed edition and discussed info with him which is in the book.......Arlos interview in it pretty much states word for word the same incident. I haven't finished reading all of the book yet because of free time playing and listening to Goodman...but so far it is an incredible history of acoustic folk music...it should be a movie...

• Members

Thats a great story.

Around 86' or so Willie was really setting everybody on fire. I saw him on a live HOB special and he did City of New Orleans. Steve had only died a year or two earlier, and I could not believe that Willie did not even mention his name. I am a huge Willie fan, but I never forgot that, I was pissed.

I have a private tape of Goodman stating that the one person who really gave him his chance to go back to work after his bouts with chemo was Johnnniiiiey Cash...

Johnny Cash was one of his biggest fans and a very close friend.

But to keep the record straight it was Kris Kristofferson and Paul Anka that got Steve going....but Arlo was the one who put City of NewOrleans on the map and Steve with it.....It was John Denver who tried to take credit for co-writing City of NewOrleans. He took the song from Steve prior to Arlo releasing it and screwed with it changing lyrics and such...Steve was furious. As it turned out, years later, Denver gave credit to Steve on a later "Best of Denver" album.

The Biography has so much history with huge upcoming performers like, John Prine, Leo Kotke, Gordan Lightfoot, Randy Newman, Bonnie Rait, Jackson Brown, Judy Collins, John Sebastion, CArly Simon, Phoebe Snow, Doc Watson, Muddy Water ( who I saw him perform with) Johnny CAsh, Pete Seegar(another great concert i attended) Jimmy Buffet-one of his oldest friends who used to crash on Goodman's sofa and bum money for train fare, over 200 shows opening for Steve Martin (the comedian/banjo-ist), and too many countless others. The book even has Hilary Rodham Clinton in it...his highschool classmate.

I was lucky to live in that area and era at the time. Have beers and talk guitars and music with him.. He was beyond explanation. If you met him you loved the guy. And what a guitarist...his "Sin to tell a lie" I must have heard 30 times all a little different, but equally brilliant. There was wonderful Music generated out of Chicago then and this biography captures every moment of it. It took Clay 8 years to write it....it was worth every minute of it.

• Members

I have a private tape of Goodman stating that the one person who really gave him his chance to go back to work after his bouts with chemo was Johnnniiiiey Cash...

Johnny Cash was one of his biggest fans and a very close friend.

But to keep the record straight it was Kris Kristofferson and Paul Anka that got Steve going....but Arlo was the one who put City of NewOrleans on the map and Steve with it.....It was John Denver who tried to take credit for co-writing City of NewOrleans. He took the song from Steve prior to Arlo releasing it and screwed with it changing lyrics and such...Steve was furious. As it turned out, years later, Denver gave credit to Steve on a later "Best of Denver" album.

The Biography has so much history with huge upcoming performers like, John Prine, Leo Kotke, Gordan Lightfoot, Randy Newman, Bonnie Rait, Jackson Brown, Judy Collins, John Sebastion, CArly Simon, Phoebe Snow, Doc Watson, Muddy Water ( who I saw him perform with) Johnny CAsh, Pete Seegar(another great concert i attended) Jimmy Buffet-one of his oldest friends who used to crash on Goodman's sofa and bum money for train fare, over 200 shows opening for Steve Martin (the comedian/banjo-ist), and too many countless others. The book even has Hilary Rodham Clinton in it...his highschool classmate.

I was lucky to live in that area and era at the time. Have beers and talk guitars and music with him.. He was beyond explanation. If you met him you loved the guy. And what a guitarist...his "Sin to tell a lie" I must have heard 30 times all a little different, but equally brilliant. There was wonderful Music generated out of Chicago then and this biography captures every moment of it. It took Clay 8 years to write it....it was worth every minute of it.

Great post, thanks!

• Members

I've gave this a whirl last night and it reminded me how horrible bad my finger picking was. Is this considered a fairly easy picking song?

Also while trolling youtube I found this:

If you get past the freaky mask he does a cool bluesy progression with this song. I would post the video embedded but I can't figure out the damn you tube button.

Archived