The 28 Most Recognizable Guitars ...

Stackabones

• Members

Surprising choice for the Martin D-28 player... Sure we will all recognise it, but I would have thought the 'recognisable guitar' thing required some kind of weird player-instrument gestalt where a mental image of the guitar would always remind us of a certain player and vice-versa, like the Brian May Red Special for example.

• Members

And the winner is ...

So, whaddya think?
:)

What do I think?

I think I been out of the loop for too many years or imbibed too much "refreshment" during my bad old rock 'n roll days. Either that or the little green guys with the huge eyeballs just now got around to dropping me off on this planet.:freak:

The only ones that looked familiar to me were Elvis's and Buck's dreads and the "V". Duh.

• Members

Pretty cool list. I like a different take on the tired "who's the best guitar player ever" rankings. Also it was cool that Jack White got included on that list. Maybe some of you Retro Grouches aren't as familiar with him, but in my generation (which is Blender's target audience) that is a recognizable instrument. Same thing with Zakk Wylde.

Kind of surprised Buddy Guy's polka dot Strat isn't up there.

Ellen

• Members

Pretty cool list. I like a different take on the tired "who's the best guitar player ever" rankings. Also it was cool that Jack White got included on that list. Maybe some of you Retro Grouches aren't as familiar with him, but in my generation (which is Blender's target audience) that is a recognizable instrument. Same thing with Zakk Wylde.

Kind of surprised Buddy Guy's polka dot Strat isn't up there.

Ellen

As an official Retro Grouch, I do know who Jack White is, and I'm glad he was included, also Zakk Wylde. I too am surprised that Buddy's Strat isn't on there, and did I miss Brian Setzer's Gretsch? Al Di's Ovation? (Or Glenn Campbell's for that matter - he pretty much validated the brand!)

• Members

If you're not a guitar player, I doubt any guitar, short of some of those things Prince plays, would leave any kind of impression. I once had a kid who wanted to take up guitar ask me, "should I play Strat or Bass? (he ended up with a Yamaha acoustic)

If you're really into guitars, many of the ones on that list are pretty recognizable IF they're accompanied by a pic of the player. How else are you going to tell one black Strat from another? :D

• Members

I'd probably only recognize, maybe, a half a dozen of the listed guitars with Trigger 1st & Buck Owens' guitar 2nd. My son could probably recognize all of them.

I'm surprised Stevie Ray Vaughan's guitar wasn't on the list.

My thoughts exactly! Most of the guitars I thought of were up there, but that didn't seem like a Most Recognizable Guitars list, that was a "best musicians list" IMO. I would recognize Lucille or Number One before I recognized Hendrix's strat. I think that list should be re-done. SRV needs to appear on that list!

• Members

I'd probably only recognize, maybe, a half a dozen of the listed guitars with Trigger 1st & Buck Owens' guitar 2nd. My son could probably recognize all of them.

I'm surprised Stevie Ray Vaughan's guitar wasn't on the list.

I'm agee with SRV?? Same with Bruce pringsteen's Esquire??

• Members

Surprising choice for the Martin D-28 player... Sure we will all recognise it, but I would have thought the 'recognisable guitar' thing required some kind of weird player-instrument gestalt where a mental image of the guitar would always remind us of a certain player and vice-versa, like the Brian May Red Special for example.

How could they leave the May's Red Special off the list?????????

Archived