Recording through a K&K PW mini

kwakatak

• Members

I'm looking forward to installing one in my OM-03R after the holidays so I can plug in a some local open mics but I've also been toying with the idea of recording to my PC via a Behringer mixer as well. I ask this because right now I've been using a mic and I'd like to see how well I can record plugging in and either not using the mic at all or using the two in concert.

Well, I've heard that these pickups are very sensitive and can pick up anything that sets the top to vibrating - i.e. knocks, swishes, etc. That's not a problem since I could probably use that to my advantage with a little slap here and there, but I'm wondering if it would pick up room noise as well.

By room noise I mean regular household sounds like the sound of the fridge running, somebody doing dishes, kids screaming at the top of their lungs, that sort of thing. Yeah, I'll be recording in the living room because the house is filled to capacity and there's no quiet little corner that isn't filled with toys or is inaccessible to the little ones, except for maybe in the dining room (and even then only late at night) because we NEVER use that room!

• Members

Since I only have one microphone stand I often just plug my acoustic guitar direct to the mixer and sing into the mic at the same time. I don't have the K&K but I use a cheap Fishman passive soundhole pickup with a Behringer Pre-amp/DI into the mixer. It's not the best acoustic tone I know but it's effective enough for me. I would imagine the K&K would yield way better results than my crappy soundhole pickup. Like Queequeg says...I wouldn't worry about it picking up any extraneous noise.

• Members

Thanks, guys. I wonder how the quality will be? Will it at least pick up the swishes off the satin finish, I wonder?

BTW - the guitar will be in its case when not in use because the little ones don't listen and the older one has explosive temper tantrums.

• Members

Wait hang on I've had my K&K Twin Spot pick up sounds below 9 on the Richter scale. In my experience, it doesn't pick up my mom walking in on my recording session for instance or even her talking to me. But it does pick up me sneezing.

Just don't sneeze right over the bridge.

Ellen

• Members

Both my CDs were recorded with the K&K mini. First one home job second one in a studio. When we did it in the studio we had the K&K and two condensers on the guitar. When we went back to do the final mix we dumped the mics as it was better with the pickup. I had wanted them all blended.

• Members

By room noise I mean regular household sounds like the sound of the fridge running, somebody doing dishes, kids screaming at the top of their lungs, that sort of thing.

It's called "ambience"! I have train tracks about 300 feet from my house--I haven't done any "finished" recording as you are doing, but I record riffs and song ideas whenever they occur so I don't forget them. On playback I hear it all--trains, cars/trucks, owls, songbirds, cats, rain, kids walking into the room, people calling out to me, other people talking to each other, telephones ringing...it's actually pretty cool.

• Members

It's called "ambience"! I have train tracks about 300 feet from my house--I haven't done any "finished" recording as you are doing, but I record riffs and song ideas whenever they occur so I don't forget them. On playback I hear it all--trains, cars/trucks, owls, songbirds, cats, rain, kids walking into the room, people calling out to me, other people talking to each other, telephones ringing...it's actually pretty cool.

I can certainly believe Ellen's sneeze cutting through, but Michael- are you talking about all this ambient noise using a K&K? This is shocking to me.

• Members

Well, a little ambiance is a good thing. I have a recording of a fingerstyle arrangement of Tony Arata's "The Dance" (originally recorded by Garth Brooks) that I did late one summer night with the window open. There's something soothing about the sound of crickets backing an acoustic guitar.

OTOH, the only ambient noise I experience during the day is usually crying, moaning, babbling and things going "crash" - I have two boys who are still in diapers.

Archived